THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sabatti doubles at Cabela's Lehi Utah store
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti doubles at Cabela's Lehi Utah store
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was down there yesterday and looked at two of the Sabatti doubles. They have a 9.3x74 for $2999, and a 500 N.E. for $5499. The salesman said they must have come in on his day off, and was very surprised they were still there - said they go out as fast as they can get them! People are really liking the fact that you can get an affordable DG rifle. Wonder how many will be fired a couple times, then make it back onto the used market?

Fit and finish on both was very good, and they handled great. The little gun is a dream to play with, and jumps to the shoulder perfectly. The 500 seems light for that caliber, but who knows until you light it off.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Can't say much about recoil in the Sabatti 500NE but my 450NE was really no problem at all and the 450/400 is a pleasure.

Time will tell about re-selling of these Sabattis but aside from reasons such as my own - selling my 450NE (and most everything in the gun safe) - to help finance an elephant hunt with my father, I'm betting that people will not only keep their Sabattis, but add to their DR collection based on the good experiences.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The Sabatti 500 NE is light for caliber; too light. However, adding Mercury recoil reducer(s) solves the problem.

Cabela's has been selling Sabatti's for a year now and the used market is virtually non-existent, with the exception of CCMDoc w/explanation.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being personlloy small and light in weight, I have no problem with recoil, unlike big heavyweight guys---simple physics, lighter weight guys = less resistance, so they move backward much easier than heavy guys who get more shock to shoulder, more tissue displacement, etc. However, being a double gun nut, with a large collection of double rifles, most of them being the great classic British and German rifles, I must say that my opinion is that the Sabatti .500 is indeed too light in weight. However, by adding as much lead weight as possible just foreward of the forend iron, within the forend wood itself (mill out as much area there, where the ejector mechanism normally would be, if you have an extractor model, and epoxy lead into that cutout), install a steel grip cap, or better yet a steel trap grip cap (perhaps with some lead under it, epoxied into a hole drilled there, TIG weld an extension onto the trigger guard (with trigger guard off, of course) and run it all the way to the aforementioned grip cap, mill out an add on steel top tang extension, shape and fit it to the existing Sabatti top tang, just under end of the safety, that you will run out an inch and a half or so beyond the comb, and inlet it into the stock. Trigger guard extension and top tang extension increase the strength of the stock wrist (a weak area of stock). Each time you remove or replace the action to stock, you will have to remove screws holding trigger guard and top tang extension in place, prior to removing the stock throguhbold, but those are simple chores. Add a mercury recoil reducer into the stock throughbolt hole, and this will bring the rifle to perfect weight. I did all this, and more, to my .500, and some of these things to my .470, and I like them as well as any modern French or German working double rifles on the market. Another thought: If you have W. Ellis Brown's book, converting shotgun actions to double rifles, and are competent enough to do that sort of work, or wish to hire out the work to be done, make a new monoblock from scratch, to fit your Sabatti action, and fit into that monoblock new .500 NE barrels, making them a straight taper from muzzle to breech, or perhaps with a bit more taper than that, but nothing as severe as the existing extreme Sabatti taper, and you will have a two barrel set, one heavier set regulated properly and giving gun weight appropriate for .500, and a second barrel set that you can use for light weight bullets only (may require re-regulation of the existing barrel set, for lighter bullets, ---if you can do the work outlined in Brown's book, this should be no problem. Whatever you do, or don't do, you will have a rifle with an action far stronger than found in any shotgun action, and it will be of a modern alloy steel, vastly superior in all ways to any shotgun action. My personal opinion is that, with time, should the Sabatti rifles continue being produced, they will increase in price, as did the Chapuis that first started out selling for around $1000. in-----was it the 1970s? By the way, my first Sabatti was a .500, (at the price, I thought that if it needed better regulation, no problem, I could do it, as I took the class from the aforementioned W. Ellis Brown, while in gunsmithing school in MN, prior to his writing his book, now in second edition, and made several successful conversions myself, up to and including the .577 full nitro on the big boxlock Spanish 10 ga. mag actions). I liked the .500 Sabatti so much that I bought another one, this time in .470, with the best fancy stock I have yet to see on Sabatti rifles online, and enhanced that fancy grain by stripping the original horrible finish and refinishing it in best London hand rubbed oil with Alkanet stain (my own mix). That .470 is as accurate (obvious simple good luck) as my .375 Westley Richards, which is so accurate that it is boring. Now, I recently bought a .450/.400 Sabatti too, so you can see I think highly of them; consider them to be the best double rifle buy on the market today. I don't have a Sabatti in 9.3 x74R, or any of the less expensive Sabatti (so can't speak about them), but have several double rifles in that caliber, both in o/u and sxs, all German, and I have grown to love the caliber. I think the best, or at least one of two best classic old cartridges ever developed by the Germans. No wonder the caliber is so well liked and popular in Europe!

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Make that "Being personlloy small and light in weight and I like to type a lot..." rotflmo

Seriously, welcome to the forums!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleriflejack:
Being personlloy small and light in weight, I have no problem with recoil, unlike big heavyweight guys---simple physics, lighter weight guys = less resistance, so they move backward much easier than heavy guys who get more shock to shoulder, more tissue displacement, etc.

However, being a double gun nut, with a large collection of double rifles, most of them being the great classic British and German rifles, I must say that my opinion is that the Sabatti .500 is indeed too light in weight. However, by adding as much lead weight as possible just foreward of the forend iron, within the forend wood itself (mill out as much area there, where the ejector mechanism normally would be, if you have an extractor model, and epoxy lead into that cutout).

Install a steel grip cap, or better yet a steel trap grip cap (perhaps with some lead under it, epoxied into a hole drilled there, TIG weld an extension onto the trigger guard (with trigger guard off, of course) and run it all the way to the aforementioned grip cap.

Mill out an add on steel top tang extension, shape and fit it to the existing Sabatti top tang, just under end of the safety, that you will run out an inch and a half or so beyond the comb, and inlet it into the stock.

Trigger guard extension and top tang extension increase the strength of the stock wrist (a weak area of stock). Each time you remove or replace the action to stock, you will have to remove screws holding trigger guard and top tang extension in place, prior to removing the stock throguhbold, but those are simple chores.

Add a mercury recoil reducer into the stock throughbolt hole, and this will bring the rifle to perfect weight. I did all this, and more, to my .500, and some of these things to my .470, and I like them as well as any modern French or German working double rifles on the market.

Another thought: If you have W. Ellis Brown's book, converting shotgun actions to double rifles, and are competent enough to do that sort of work, or wish to hire out the work to be done, make a new monoblock from scratch, to fit your Sabatti action, and fit into that monoblock new .500 NE barrels, making them a straight taper from muzzle to breech, or perhaps with a bit more taper than that, but nothing as severe as the existing extreme Sabatti taper, and you will have a two barrel set, one heavier set regulated properly and giving gun weight appropriate for .500, and a second barrel set that you can use for light weight bullets only (may require re-regulation of the existing barrel set, for lighter bullets. If you can do the work outlined in Brown's book, this should be no problem.

Whatever you do, or don't do, you will have a rifle with an action far stronger than found in any shotgun action, and it will be of a modern alloy steel, vastly superior in all ways to any shotgun action.

My personal opinion is that, with time, should the Sabatti rifles continue being produced, they will increase in price, as did the Chapuis that first started out selling for around $1000. in-----was it the 1970s?

By the way, my first Sabatti was a .500, (at the price, I thought that if it needed better regulation, no problem, I could do it, as I took the class from the aforementioned W. Ellis Brown, while in gunsmithing school in MN, prior to his writing his book. Now in second edition, and made several successful conversions myself, up to and including the .577 full nitro on the big boxlock Spanish 10 ga. mag actions).

I liked the .500 Sabatti so much that I bought another one, this time in .470, with the best fancy stock I have yet to see on Sabatti rifles online, and enhanced that fancy grain by stripping the original horrible finish and refinishing it in best London hand rubbed oil with Alkanet stain (my own mix).

That .470 is as accurate (obvious simple good luck) as my .375 Westley Richards, which is so accurate that it is boring. Now, I recently bought a .450/.400 Sabatti too, so you can see I think highly of them; consider them to be the best double rifle buy on the market today. I don't have a Sabatti in 9.3 x74R, or any of the less expensive Sabatti (so can't speak about them), but have several double rifles in that caliber, both in o/u and sxs, all German, and I have grown to love the caliber. I think the best, or at least one of two best classic old cartridges ever developed by the Germans. No wonder the caliber is so well liked and popular in Europe!

Makes this post a little easier to read, but not better to understand! By the time one does all this to the Sabatti, he will have spent enough money to have bought a nice double rifle that didn't require anything but shooting! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be difficult for even a Texan to understand, but doing all the custom work I mentioned to Sabatti rifle YOURSELF, would cost very little; only time and enjoyment, if you enjoy working on such things. Having the work hired out wouldn't cost all that much either, as a COMPLETE conversion, double shotgun to double rifle, have sold for $4,000, plus or minus a bit. I know what a paragraph is, and how to form one, but I just grouped the post all together to save space. It couldn't have been too difficult to read and understand, for even a Texan found it understandable enough to make snide remarks about it! Some of you guys need to get out more, and do more shooting, rather than shooting your mouth off. Have a nice day, though.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It is difficult. As you probably know, all the literate Texans were killed at the Alamo.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
It is difficult. As you probably know, all the literate Texans were killed at the Alamo.

That's why paragraph's are used, to help Texan's ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may be difficult for even a Texan to understand, but doing all the custom work I mentioned to Sabatti rifle YOURSELF, would cost very little; only time and enjoyment, if you enjoy working on such things.

Having the work hired out wouldn't cost all that much either, as a COMPLETE conversion, double shotgun to double rifle, have sold for $4,000, plus or minus a bit.

I know what a paragraph is, and how to form one, but I just grouped the post all together to save space. It couldn't have been too difficult to read and understand, for even a Texan found it understandable enough to make snide remarks about it! Some of you guys need to get out more, and do more shooting, rather than shooting your mouth off. Have a nice day, though.

jumping jumping jumping jumping I understood what you were saying it is just that I don't understand why you said it, especially the part that got personal! Talk about shooting with one's mouth! Son you need to tuck in your spurrs a little, and reccognize a ribbing when you see one! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like more blowing smoke from another Texan, another pompous ass. Enough said about you Texans and your compulsion to make snide remarks toward others and their comments.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mac, take that! And stay in your place from now on...jumping

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like more blowing smoke from another Texan, another pompous ass. Enough said about you Texans and your compulsion to make snide remarks toward others and their comments.

I'm not from Texas and am not in the habit of defending those that are, but if I was a new poster who seems unable to write using correct punctuation and structure, I'm not sure I'd be calling names. Especially on MacD37, who is one of the most knowledgeable and respected DR folks on AR.

But this is the internet and there is no law against showing your ignorance. homer coffee

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
quote:

I'm not from Texas and am not in the habit of defending those that are, but if I was a new poster who seems unable to write using correct punctuation and structure, I'm not sure I'd be calling names. Especially on MacD37, who is one of the most knowledgeable and respected DR folks on AR.

But this is the internet and there is no law against showing your ignorance. homer coffee

Well said L.H. tu2

Mac is one of the true gentlemen on this site and he has much to offer with his wisdom and knowledge.

I follow his posts with great interest and have learned a great deal from him.

Doubleriflejackass, when you have earned the respect that Mac has on this forum, then maybe you can run your mouth off. holycow

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on this one boys. It smells like a troll.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
You guys took that well & it ended up funny , thanks for the laugh !!

Oh ! Thank you for the post , good info on the weight .

Cheers

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping At least that guy was not bashing Arkies!!! My heads sore from all the crap Steve drops on me animal animal animal

hilbily where did the new guy go hilbily

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote