THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cheap Baikal is Becoming a Shooter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap Baikal is Becoming a Shooter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After removing the pins from the barrel collar and applying the BFW to twist the barrels into vertical alignment I used a .012 feeler gauge shim to push the right barrel a little farther up and in. (The barrel regulating screw pushes the barrels apart or lets the "spring" in the right barrel bring them together. When totally relaxed the right barrel still had a gap between it and the inner side of the collar.) Now the last step will be to trim off the ends of the shim and flow a little solder into the gap between the barrel and the collar to keep everything in place.
The photo is of a cut and paste composite group at 50 meters. I used a separate target for each barrel and then cut out the right target and glued the group onto the target I used for the left barrel. Other than moving the sight (a Bushnell First Strike red dot) to the right I think this thing will kill a hog. The load is a 405gr Lazercast over 25gr of SR 4759 for right at 1,200 fps.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, the photobucket image isn't showing up on the first post. Here is is. http://s1129.photobucket.com/u...ia/IMG_1518.jpg.html

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Picked one up in .30-06. Hoping to shoot it this week. Also hope mine will shoot as well as yours.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 Baikal shot fine right out of the box. Mounted a light weight scope on it and it keeps 4 rounds in about a 2 inch box at 50 meters.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mounted a Ultradot on my 30-06 and it would put 2 shots from each barrel into a 1.25 inch group at 50 yards shooting Hornady 220's.
Tried switching out the Ultradot for a Nikon 1x4 African and accuracy and regulation went to crap, go figure.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My Baikal 06 shoots into one inch at 50 yards with a Leupold 1-4. As for soldering the front band on, you will need to remove it and remove the bluing from the barrel and inside the band before it it will stick, assuming there is blue in there. My 06 has no room for a shim at all and if it did, I would fill it up. Looks like yours is working well. I have owned at least a dozen double rifles and none of them will shoot as well as my Baikal. And they all cost at least ten times more too. Makes no sense, does it?

Posts: 17158 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes me want to take the BFW to my Chapuis. The collar on my Baikal won't come off. (I guess the old saying about anything being take-apart-able could apply.) At least not with the amount of force I am willing to use on it which was a bunch. I think I am going to flood it out with acetone and then just flow the solder into the gap. I'll leave the shim in and just use the solder to fill the space knowing it won't really be chemically bonded. It should keep the shim from moving.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
Picked one up in .30-06. Hoping to shoot it this week. Also hope mine will shoot as well as yours.

If you plan on putting a scope on it you will need either a mount made for an airgun style rail or an adapter to use a Weaver type mount. UTG makes a clever little adapter that fits inside the Weaver style clamp and grabs the rail.
This one appears to be the Cadillac. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150984...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

The rings made by Hawke for a dovetail mount look like they would work as well.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I used an old set of Kimber rings; fit right on.

Posts: 17158 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Mine in 30-06 is a serious shooter with factory remington cor-lokt 180's. At $600 out the door it was a steal!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm still working on my 45/70 Baikal. I picked it up used from GunBroker. Whoever used it before didn't know what they were doing. It was way out of regulation for Rem 300 or 350 gr cartridges. I was able to move the knurled nut to a point where my handloads are working. My trip next week may confirm it or not.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My .45-70 had to have the bfw and the shim treatment. Now it shoots quite well with both the Hornady 325gr bullets and a 400gr cast bullet (do have to move the adjustment going back and forth for the different loads).

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote