THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What do you tell people at the range when they ask, what is that?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you tell people at the range when they ask, what is that?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seems every time I go to the range with my double I get questions. Here are a few.

"Wow that thing sounds like a cannon, is that a 30-06?"

"Hey is that thing a 30-30?"

"What kind of shotgun is that?"

Etc. Etc.

I know people are looking for a quick answer but I don't even know where to start. Their eyes always glaze over when I start talking about it being a 9.3x74R.

What do you tell people?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make up a different tale each time someone asks ....... I always end the story with a comment that tells the inquirer they couldn't afford one of these fancy rifles. It leaves them thinking I'm some kind of a super-hunter ......

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I tell 'em its a 475 NE and that you never know when you neighborhood might get over-run by rogue circus elephants.

Honestly, most are mightly impressed and seem sincerly interested.
A few have even stepped up and shot it, when offered.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never ben good at being an elietist. I just try to explain. Some one had to explain it to you. I had a friend that had never seen a double rifle thought it was the neatest thing and now wants to by one. Behold it is our job and dutey to convert the masses to the one true way of thinking.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
you never know when you neighborhood might get over-run by rogue circus elephants.

Oh how I wish, that is why I keep some solids loaded and on hand. banana

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It is almost imposible to work up regulating loads for a double rifle at a public range. When the double comes out of the case, you will have a group of lookie-Lews in a flash!
The question quoted below from GeoffM24's post are par for the course!

quote:
Seems every time I go to the range with my double I get questions. Here are a few.

"Wow that thing sounds like a cannon, is that a 30-06?"

"Hey is that thing a 30-30?"

"What kind of shotgun is that?"

Etc. Etc.

A guy sitting on the next bench, one time, asked to shoot my double rifle, and I said sure you can. He fired it twice, and then he picked up one of the cartridges off my bench to look it over. His comment was, hey that thing is bigger than my 45-70! you should have seen the look on his face when I told him he had just fired $36 worth of ammo with those two shots, of Federal 470NE factory solids! He said "damn, and I was going to ask you for one, to put in my collection"! I gave him one anyway!

This is compounded by the fact that I usually have two or three doubles to wring out, and it works better if I can get out in the country by myself! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I was at the range Saturday and was there for over 4 hours doing some break-in and load developement. There were 4 range personel and over 50 shooters and I had the sum total of one person at the next bench ask 'what caliber' in all that time. Guess they just weren't curious. I actually rarely get any comments.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to come of as an elitist. I just find that most men, especially those you find at the range, have a tough time admitting that they not only know nothing about doubles, they have never even seen one.

If I start talking about it as if they have a basic knowledge level they nod away but I can tell they have no idea what I'm talking about.

It is similiar with the round, 9.3x74R. They have never seen or heard of it.

Telling them a Chapuis doesn't help either, heck I hadn't even heard if it a couple years ago so I can't expect them to know.

I also don't want to talk under them so I have no idea where to even start when holding a gun they have never seen, in a caliber that sounds like a algebra problem, from a maker they have never heard of.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually have one, maybe two other shooters come over to watch. I always ask if they would like to shoot one of them. Good way to introduce someone to double rifles and a good way to make a friend. They get to tell there buddies they shot a real elephant rifle.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
My typical answer is,

It's an elephant rifle do you want to shoot it? Smiler

That seems to be a very nice way to start the discussion.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I'll comment from the side of the "I don't own one" crowd...

I was at the range some months ago and a wonderful gentleman pulled a pair of doubles out (one Merkel and one Searcy)... The only question I asked was is one of them a 9.3x74R... He just smiled and said "yep, one of them is and the other is a 470 NE"... I just gave him a thumbs up thumb and went on about my business... I did however pay attention to him shooting them as they were just beautifully built rifles...

On the other hand he did ask what I was shooting when I lit off the 338-378 Wby... With a smile on his face he asked what I needed such artillery for.. I just replied that the rhino problem in my backyard has been solved Big Grin..

All I can say is that they are out of my price range in general but that doesn't keep me from admiring such fine rifles....

Ken...

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
im a newcomer as far as ownership is concerned....but ive been drooling over cataloges for several yrs.... i fired my first DR in june at the texas DRSS shoot in brady...missed the first shot at a rock, then busted it the 2nd shot... ive been hooked ever since... learned how to shoot off of stick, thanks to several others... mike jines took the time in january to meet me in the ihop parking lot and show me his chapuis and his heym...we got a few interesting looks from the partons indoors, i'm sure....when i go to the range, my chapuis draws a few lookers... before i got in on the last group buy, i had bought loaded ammo in anticipation of ruger's 9,3 in a #1...i took it to my gunclubs meeting and did the show and tell,,, complete with a chapuis catalog.... had lots of interest....most of them think a 30-06 is a big gun... and when i drag out my .416 and 458, i get lots of looks there too....i always offer to let them shoot.. most decline, but some take me up on the offer...1 friend in particular, jim milhouse will shoot anything ive got, and he does it better than me....he brags about my DR to all the other guys...and we shoot off of sticks....i'm protecting the texas gulf coast from dangerous game....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot older rifles, BPEs and early smokeless, reload for them all and cast my own bullets. Bottom line the only expence I have in shooting my treasures is some time and the cost of the powder and primers. If someone at the range shows some intrest it's no big deal to offer them a few shots. Most leave with a grin the mortician won't be able to remove with a chisle mumbling "I shot a 577(or 500)!" It's great fun to watch them load those huge, to them, rounds their reaction when they hit the target. A great way to spend the day. Did have one guy say my double 577 was to big to hunt with unless I was planning to only use slugs, I assured him I was, guess he didn't notice the rounds I was chambering.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50calshtr
I too shot mostly bp guns with black or nitro for black loads. 8 to 10 drams of black powder usually draws some attention. I am glad to show and talk about the guns I have with me but most other shooters don't seem to grasp how unique and powerful they are. I was once upstaged and lost my inquisitive audience to an Italian repro bluderbuss with a brass barrel and trigger guard. I only had a Holland 10 bore paradox and a Westley droplock explora with me that day. Maybe my explanations are too long winded. So far I have had no takers when I have offered someone to fire my 10.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
"it is just a jug and pig gun, would you like to shoot it?"

and mot of the big ole beefeatin boys pass and the skinny little guys take the fat girl for a ride!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just stand a little taller,chest out a little more, kind of like the guy who gets out of that vintage little euro sports car dowm at the Ihop on Sunday morming.
I just tel them what it is, and show them the ammo.I tell them what factory ammo cost. I let them handel it, so far no one asked to shoot it. I try not to be snotty

I had one guy who came up started on about the 45-70 he was shooting being a stomper, he was trying to impress his friends. I told him my 98 gr load of 4350 was a little mild, but that I had some full power stuff if he was interested. He kind of slipped off and did not come back.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I just stand a little taller,chest out a little more, kind of like the guy who gets out of that vintage little euro sports car dowm at the Ihop on Sunday morming.

JD

That is kind of on par with pulling up to your new double story mobile home isn't it?

Makes a man PROUD! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
surestrike,

did you get the optional tip out home theater with that baby?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
what is most important is that the paint on your pick up and bass boat match, and that they don't clash with the trim colors of the double wide and matching alu carport. If I did not spend all my money on guns, I could afford to live like that. I would even have the casting
of the little black boy fishing next to the big black water kettle.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro