THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    HEYM 88B Deluxe Grade Photos
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM 88B Deluxe Grade Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The engraving on that rifle is hideous. It looks like something Herman Goering would have hunted with.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:
The engraving on that rifle is hideous. It looks like something Herman Goering would have hunted with.

Whoa ... rather harsh ... Roll Eyes

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:

"hideous"... really? Roll Eyes

Reich-Marshall Goering must have had excelant taste then...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
what fun we have on ar clap

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which Rifle are you talking about ?

I am not normally a fan of Germanic style deep relief but as another poster put it so well

"It is one of the more well done German engraving jobs that I've seen ......"

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Which Rifle are you talking about ?

I am not normally a fan of Germanic style deep relief but as another poster put it so well

"It is one of the more well done German engraving jobs that I've seen ......"

This one. Garish is probably a better choice of words than hideous but it is still hideous to my eyes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see where you are coming from but I've seen a lot worse German deep relief engraving.

At least they have got the "jist" right with the animals. Better than the "Birmingham Pussy cats" as we call them on more than a few English DR's.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this is a lot of negative comments on a rifle that new_guy posted so we could get a look at this particular "Deluxe" grade 88B. I personally thank him for his effort.
Those who don’t like the engraving should by one and show us your choice of patterns and styles. Then we can hear the comments on your choice. We all have different opinions on style and types of engraving. I see nothing hear to warrant the ridicules over the top comments that have been made.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Engraving is a very personal choice.

Some like animals on a gun some do not.

Some like the Germanic style some do not.

The fact is, Heym has some of the Best engravers in Europe doing "work" for them.

So you can design YOUR Heym engraving to suit YOU.

OR you can buy a Heym PH with NO engraving...

Either way you get one of the best, if not the best, New made double rifles on the Planet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
Well this is a lot of negative comments on a rifle that new_guy posted so we could get a look at this particular "Deluxe" grade 88B. I personally thank him for his effort. Those who don’t like the engraving should by one and show us your choice of patterns and styles. Then we can hear the comments on your choice. We all have different opinions on style and types of engraving. I see nothing hear to warrant the ridicules over the top comments that have been made.
Bill

Bill,

The engraving on my Verney-Carron is in the classic English rose and scroll pattern, which I prefer, it is pictured immediately following this post. It is my opinion that if Heym intends to offer the "Deluxe" grade rifles with deep relief German style engraving to the American market as a standard offering that they will sell very few rifles.

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
It is my opinion that if Heym intends to offer the "Deluxe" grade rifles with deep relief German style engraving to the American market as a standard offering that they will sell very few rifles.

Only sold two of them this week... Let's hope it picks up Wink.

Here's some rose and scroll as well, but I'm pretty sure those are German roses.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally can find beauty in the fine work dispalyed in both styles pictured above. The styles are definitely different, but both require the work of some very skilled craftsman and I for one can appreciate that.

I would feel priveleged to own or even handle either of the rifles pictured above.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally can find beauty in the fine work dispalyed in both styles pictured above. The styles are definitely different, but both require the work of some very skilled craftsman and I for one can appreciate that.

+1

DRSS

Posts: 1156 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some rose and scroll as well, but I'm pretty sure those are German roses.

[/QUOTE]

Really well executed!!

I think they are French roses.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
It is my opinion that if Heym intends to offer the "Deluxe" grade rifles with deep relief German style engraving to the American market as a standard offering that they will sell very few rifles.

Only sold two of them this week... Let's hope it picks up Wink.

That is beautiful engraving! tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The fact is, Heym has some of the Best engravers in Europe doing "work" for them.

Either way you get one of the best, if not the best, New made double rifles on the Planet.

THAT IS 100% CORRECT !!!!!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Different styles for different people.
Some prefer blondies, others brunnets, readheads, etc...the same happends with rifles...to each its own..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some prefer blondies, others brunnets, readheads

I like all of them. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While engraving on a firearm has never appealed to me personally, I am an artist, and do appreciate the artistic craftsmanship required to execute those designs. Masterful work! George

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would they do color case on the receiver and longer barrels?

Posts: 10152 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously they will do color case after I looked at the whole string. Anything in boxlock? What about a plain "PH" rifle with color case -- and I'd like a bit longer barrels too.

Posts: 10152 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Would they do color case on the receiver and longer barrels?

Case colors, no problem.

Standard barrel length is 26". How much longer would you want them?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautifull rifle,engraving is personal style and taste,regarding a heym its one of the best build double rifles on planet for sure,iam not talking of 100 thousands dollars holland holland but trust me in termn of durabillity and practical purpose no much difference

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, I thought "canned Lion hunts" and the SCI were the only subjects that brought out the "claws" that is until I read this. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

old...................Absolutely!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:

N E 450 No2:

That's a matter of opinion. I would much prefer Cane Rat's Verney-Carron over a Heym any day of the week. A Searcy is a much better gun as well. Hell, I'd rather have a Chapuis.

A PH model for $17,500! Give me a break.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a matter of opinion.
Correct.

I would much prefer Cane Rat's Verney-Carron
Im not.

Iy you have the oportunity, please handle, feel and shoot both one other the other.
You will see, Heym is a lot better.
And mayby a little bit higher in price.
:-)

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
yuck rotflmo

I have and I wouldn't trade my VC for any Heym. I could afford to buy either and I chose Verney-Carron.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Had a Heym.

Have a Verney-Carron.

I thinks it's fine to be proud of the products you sell but puerile and unprofessional, as a Heym representative, to make the statement you have.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Dr. FM:

Do you work for Heym or are you just some kind of Heym groupie? I noticed in the medium bore section there is a thread about Heym rifles started by Warrior with links to dozens of pictures of Heym rifles all posted by you.

A bunch of guys on AR are now building or have built guns from Verney-Carron and some are about as close to a "bespoke" weapons as we mortals can afford. They are top quality guns and to be honest, I think Heym has simply priced themselves out of the market. Why would I even consider a Heym when I can get a fantastic gun from Verney-Carron, Krieghoff, or Chapuis for a lot less money. Right now you can probably get a Chapuis flanged .375 from Dale Nygaard for about $8,000 or a Krieghoff or a VC for a couple of grand more.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1700 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave

I can only state what I "feel".

I have handled and looked at the VC. I have handles and shot MANY other brands of Double Rifles.

I have handled and looked at the Heym. I have also shot the Heym, seveal of them, and I spent a week at the factory observing EVERY aspect of how they are made. EVERY aspect.

And I have a good knowledge of the People that make them and the Principles of the Company.

I will stand by a statement, I have made several times, in print and in person to many people... If I was buying a New Made Double Rifle TODAY It would be a HEYM.

I wrote and stated this, before I visited the factory. After being there, my opinion has been even more reinforced.

I met DR FM when I was in Germany. He does not work for Heym. He has used them for several years. Which is why he is such a believer in them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 9,3x74R.
For the money spent it had been a good double. I have shot and hunted with it quite a bit.
I have killed more different game with it that any other rifle I have ever owned.
It is a good gun...

But "it ain't no HEYM".

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave

I can only state what I "feel".

I have handled and looked at the VC. I have handles and shot MANY other brands of Double Rifles.

I have handled and looked at the Heym. I have also shot the Heym, seveal of them, and I spent a week at the factory observing EVERY aspect of how they are made. EVERY aspect.

And I have a good knowledge of the People that make them and the Principles of the Company.

I will stand by a statement, I have made several times, in print and in person to many people... If I was buying a New Made Double Rifle TODAY It would be a HEYM.

I wrote and stated this, before I visited the factory. After being there, my opinion has been even more reinforced.

I met DR FM when I was in Germany. He does not work for Heym. He has used them for several years. Which is why he is such a believer in them.

I'm happy for you but how much time have you spent at the Verney-Carron factory observing EVERY aspect of how they are made? Heym builds a great rifle, no doubt, but I too am familiar with both and chose a VC. In my opinion, they are comparable doubles with the edge in craftsmanship going to Verney-Carron. I've said many times that I wouldn't trade mine for any Heym and I could have purchased either but chose the VC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as your are happy, Then "Why Worry".

Shoot your VC 5000 times and get back to me...

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as your are happy, Then "Why Worry".

Shoot your VC 5000 times and get back to me...

So.......I guess it's safe to say you have put 5,000 rounds through both a Heym and a VC? Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
No but I have shot some other double rifles a bunch.

Research ALL of my other posts, I have NEVER said anything bad, about any brand of double rifles.

I do have some personal experience on "a bunch" of rounds fired through old English doubles, Chapuis, and Heym doubles, as well as the info from a very well respected Double rifle maker, regarding the above as well as different guns.

So since you have a VC [and I do not] keep an accurate round count and keep us posted.

I am not saying or infering a VC is made with inferior steel. I just do not have any experience with one.

Do not take offense with me, just test, and reply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As side note, the Color Case Hardnening, on the Heym double rifles, is some of the best looking of any done currently on the Planet.

I am a color case Freek. I really like the way it looks. The 100 old British stuff is good, no doubt. Turnbull does good work, no doubt. Westley Richards "stuff" looks good.

But, the new HEYM Color Case, is awsome.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
No but I have shot some other double rifles a bunch.

Research ALL of my other posts, I have NEVER said anything bad, about any brand of double rifles.

I do have some personal experience on "a bunch" of rounds fired through old English doubles, Chapuis, and Heym doubles, as well as the info from a very well respected Double rifle maker, regarding the above as well as different guns.

So since you have a VC [and I do not] keep an accurate round count and keep us posted.

I am not saying or infering a VC is made with inferior steel. I just do not have any experience with one.

Do not take offense with me, just test, and reply.

No offense taken but let's take the debate to a new thread. You and Dr. FM are first up. Let's hear what you have to say.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/1411039751

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The engraving on that rifle is hideous. It looks like something Herman Goering would have hunted with

coffee

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas