THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifles are not just for Africa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifles are not just for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Fellas:
Doubles are not just for Africa. Here is my caribou from this past August in ANWR. My doc and I were 230 miles north of the Arctic Circle and about 65 miles south of the Arctic Ocean in Alaska's northeast corner. ANWR is the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve. It is floating on a sea of oil but is federal land so senators from New Jersey et.al. vote on drilling there. It is a beautiful place. Any AR gents who wish to hunt there or join me in camp feel free to email me for details at <pappas@mtaonline.net.

Also, the rifle I used was pictured in my Cal's Garbage thread but in a small file. I found a larger file and it is here for more detail. Yes, I need at least one rifle with a 'scope for old eyes.
Hope to see you all at Dalals.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, DR's, North America? I feel this is nothing more than an ill conceived trap to paint Shootaway into corner.

Once he bites, the other shoe is sure to drop.

Great picture Cal, maybe I will be the photographer next fall.

Good day,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice caribou. You mean you can kill something besides pigs in Nort America with a double?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice caribou. Doubles in North America? My Chapuis has killed it's share of Alaskan moose. It was my go to moose rifle for 5 years.
Hard to find a nicer rifle to carry while sneaking through the woods hunting white tails or black bear than a light weight double.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Since I will never be able to go to Africa, all my double rifles are used only on hogs and bears. My first bear, many years ago, fell to a 9.3x74R Perugini and Visini; dropped with one shot, but I gave him the left barrel just in case. I never fire just one barrel at anything.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it the big 3 never look in making twin barrels that are rifled?
There are plenty of game and calibers that they could produce
for the American hunters, For example the Hog game, I would like feedback
on this may we can get the lazy guys off their backside.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Market share is simply to low. If you want a cheap double buy a Baikal 30-06. Owned three and everyone was turned into a tack driver for the price of a trigger job and some range tuning. If you can hunt with a piece of shit but want a double they make a great choice.
Sabatti's are hit and miss but can be a great bargin for a 9,3 or 45-70. For the prices Cabelas is blowing them out for I would try one if they made a lefty.

My choice always goes to the Chapuis. Can be built to order in some of the smaller calibers such as Blaser 30R and 9,3x74R for the mid 4K price range.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
How about some pics of your North American game with doubles?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal

Great field photo and a nice teaser.

How about a story of the hunt to back it up?

Rhodes

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an 8 point whitetail I killed with my VC 450 fhe 28th of September. He weighed 170. I was using Hornady factory softpoints. End to end pass through.

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that didnt work.

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
Here's an 8 point whitetail I killed with my VC 450 fhe 28th of September. He weighed 170. I was using Hornady factory softpoints. End to end pass through.
How much did he weigh after you shot him

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Black bear taken with the Chapuis 9.3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt white tails every year with my jp sauer .43 Spanish back action hammer gun. once I shoot a decent buck I go to a bolt action for the rest of the season.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've killed with my 45-70 double rifle.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice STOP on that bunny rabbit double tap! Those Chargun Bunnies are almost as dangerous as the Barkun Squirrels round here!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

It's brown. Big Grin (Couldn't resist)

Actually, I wish to get a nice black bear like that Todd, good shooting!
What I'd really like to add is that in the USA I love the idea of muzzle
loader DR's and exposed hammer DR's very much.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
Here's what I've killed with my 45-70 double rifle.

Great P.E.T.A shirt, thanks for supporting Cooking Wild

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

It's brown. Big Grin (Couldn't resist)

Actually, I wish to get a nice black bear like that Todd, good shooting!
What I'd really like to add is that in the USA I love the idea of muzzle
loader DR's and exposed hammer DR's very much.

Unfortunately, it was rather "small" as well. More like a brown dog than a Brown Bear! Ground shrinkage and all!

Whistling

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
How much did he weigh after you shot him

The first deer2013 at www.carolinabucks.com

must surely be the one:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Winchester and Browning produced o/u rifles in .270 & .30/'06...Belgian made, in the 1970's I think, called "Grand European". I have one of each in .270. The Browning shoots great with open sights but I don't really want to drill & tap it for a scope. My eyes are asking for scoped rifles at this point. My Winchester is at the gunsmith w/ ejector issues. Its scoped. But they are notorious for not being regulated. I've been advised to try different ammo in each barrel and hope for a close-hit combo. I know it MAY be able to be regulated but I don't want to put $ into it.No game killed yet but I'll be sure to post pics if and when.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Thanks for fixing my picture. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In the last few years I've hunted everything with a double rifle or shotgun.

.................................................................. BOOM......... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym 577 with a 600 grain CEB Safari Raptor. Range 30 yards straight on. No tracking needed.

Bullet base exited the ham in the thick hair in back of ham. Very little meat damage. Lost one shoulder and a small bit in the ham. Bullet traveled just under the backbone on its way thru the deer. The heart was gone could not find any identifiable part of it. Lungs and liver were pretty chewed up as well. Had petals exit the shoulder, two out the top of back and one stuck in skin at top of back right behind shoulders. Now this shows again that the petals will open on light game even in a big bore. Also shows that petals do go away from main wound in all directions just like tests show. Those worried about meat damage can go ahead and use Raptors without fear of losing too much meat. The base of the bullet exits caliber size even on light game. The insides are juice.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
We need some more smiles in these pictures. It looks like someone pissed in a few people's Wheaties here!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
Both Winchester and Browning produced o/u rifles in .270 & .30/'06...Belgian made, in the 1970's I think, called "Grand European". I have one of each in .270. The Browning shoots great with open sights but I don't really want to drill & tap it for a scope. My eyes are asking for scoped rifles at this point. My Winchester is at the gunsmith w/ ejector issues. Its scoped. But they are notorious for not being regulated. I've been advised to try different ammo in each barrel and hope for a close-hit combo. I know it MAY be able to be regulated but I don't want to put $ into it.No game killed yet but I'll be sure to post pics if and when.

The Browning and Winchester rifles are completely different.

The Winchester Grand Europeans built on Winchester 101 shotgun actions in at least 30/06, 270, 7x57, and 9.3x74R were made in Japan and were basically not regulated. Re-regulation paid for by the owner was typically required. JJ used to do this well, but I think that I recently read online that he no longer is interested.

The Winchester rifles were shipped with EAW, or similar, scope mounts and rings installed.

The Browning Continental Express rifles imported into the US were made in Belgium on B-25 Superposed shotgun actions in 30/06 and 270 and were much better, though not always acceptable to some users, regulated.

The Browning rifles imported into the US were not factory set-up for scope mounting. Gunsmithing, perhaps followed by re-regulation, was required for scope installation.

Browning B-25 action express rifles are still made, but not regularly imported into the US. Current starting list price for the lowest cost model, the CCS Herstal, is about $12K. It is available in a variety of calibers, including 8x57JRS, well-suited for North America. The CCS Herstal model, at least, is now factory set-up for relatively easy scope installation.

Browning also made, and still makes, reasonably regulated lower cost Express rifles based on Japanese made actions. At least some of them were finished, regulated, and perhaps had barrels fitted, in Belgium. Only a few have been imported into the US.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you know I wasn't smiling!

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use mine just for Africa.I find it inappropriate or out of place for anywhere else.
There is the weather factor to look at also.
Every place and game animal has its weapon.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
RIP or degoins: Where did you get your double rifle hunting jacket? Who makes it?

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I would use mine just for Africa.I find it inappropriate or out of place for anywhere else.
There is the weather factor to look at also.
Every place and game animal has its weapon.

That's funny...

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Elegant rifle below, please share all details!!!:

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several deer with my 9.3 my best was a nice ga 11 point. A good pig with my 470 and several smaller ones. a nice pig and cow elk with my 9.3 tika.

I tried like hell for a bear with my 9.3 in
Alaska August before last. I was a second away from dropping a big black bear when he took off. We were dead drift down the river, I just need to get a little closer to be sure of the shot. a wave took the cross hairs off the chest, as it was settling back down He bolted.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
My old Searcy Field Grade .470 NE works pretty well on whitetails when loaded with 500 gr cast FP projectiles driven by AA5744.

The 9,3x74R Chapuis has done a good job on piggies and birds with the shotgun barrel set.

Lovely fun ... but I just can't bring myself to take either of them out into bad weather. That's for bolt rifles with synthetic stocks.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, I ordered it directly from Boyt Harness. They had em on sale last year and I decided to try one. I liked it so much, I ordered another one while they were still on sale.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Sorry DR hunter
I only just noticed your question.
The rifle is a Oskar Merkel 8x57 JRS. It's old and beet but still tight. It's been around the world a few times not sure how many but I've taken it abroad a couple in the twenty years I've had it. Been down your way more than a couple times to my friend south of Tampa. I'm not sure how many hogs I've taken with that little double and deer as well.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124