THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    375 H&H Magnum in a Double Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H Magnum in a Double Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Those are nice guns. Just for grins, what are "reasonable orices" for guns like those?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Once again Doc, very nice VC doubles you've got there. I thought your 375FL had an extended top tang however. Was it bespoke as the other were?

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
A double rifle chambered for a rimmed cartridge has hands down the most solid reliable extraction possible.
I start my comments this way not because I belive that a double rifle must or should be chambered this way but rather because I am a proponent of the new generation double rifle and the rimless chamberings. I just want to go on record that I do recognise the solid reliability of the rimmed rounds in the double before I start pontificating how great rimless cartridges work in a double rifle.

There are a lot of practicle reasons why you might want a double rifle in .375 H&H. If those reasons are a fit for you then I say go for it.
I tend not to be as negitive and say that you're rifle will fail at the worst possible time,yet function reliably the rest of the time. I'm not knocking that opinion we all have our own standards for insurance.

I have seven various break action rifles with the same extractor design as a double rifle. A couple are doubble rifles and the others are drillings BBF's and singleshots. They are chambered in .222, 6.5x57R, 7x57R, 30-06, 8x57jR, 8x57jrs and .338WM.

So far they have all served me very well. no problems on the extraction. I doubt that I ever will have a problem but if I ever do it will almost surely be with one of the rimless cases.

I think the best analogy would be a CRF bolt action compared to a bump and jump button extractor rifle. I am a proponent of a CRF DG bolt rifle but I have hunted with a lot clients with the Remington M700's chambered for rounds like .375 ultra mag etc and they work just fine. I have'nt seen any of them fail yet ether. (I have seen a Savage fail a couple times though).

Here's where my comments get the hackles up on the coventional wisdom crowd. As far as the life of your rifle and normal wear is concerned. " chamber pressure has nothing do do with it"

Now that most double rifle guys have there heads spinning cursing my name let me explane that. The number one problem with wear on a double rifle is on the hing pin. first thing is keep it lubed. Otherwise wear on the hing pin dose not come from chamber pressure but rather from bolt thrust.

Chamber pressure is the main component of bolt thrust however that alone dose not give an understanding of the force as it works against your rifle.
Bolt thrust is the amount of pressure the base of the case has against the reciever of the rifle. A case as it pushes against your reciever while the bullet is still in your barrel forces the barrels against the hing pin causing wear.
If you think about the .222 I mentioned I have with it's light 55 gr bullet there is a very limited amount of bolt thrust even though the chamber pressure is much greater than that of conventional double rifle rounds.
In addition to the light bullet weight as a contributing factor in reduceing bolt thrust also the high pressure also causes the case to expand and grip the chamber walls also reduceing bolt thrust.

Back in the early days the European gun makers measured this by testing bolt thrust with a thin copper disk.
Even some of the ventage double rifles were chambered in fairly high pressure cartridges. The best example of this that comes to mind are the Westley Richards double rifles chambered for the .22 Savage HP.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Once again Doc, very nice VC doubles you've got there. I thought your 375FL had an extended top tang however. Was it bespoke as the other were?

Thanks Todd. beer

No the 375Fl was "off the rack" Cool

The 600 was built to my spec with a few bells and whistles.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
WOW! Those are nice guns. Just for grins, what are "reasonable orices" for guns like those?
Peter.

Thanks Peter.

Best to ask Ken Buch who posts here (though he is in Africa at present).

Stay well

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote