THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .450NE Westley Richards Boxlock - 1921
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450NE Westley Richards Boxlock - 1921
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Front Sight has a reflector for the front bead

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle and photography! Barrel length? 28" maybe? Have you shot it yet. It's a nice one!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

It has 26" bbls, yes I have shot about 20 rounds through it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Lovely old classic Mike! Now that you have a "new" elephant gun, how about selling me that old Wiebe 450 bolt gun? Smiler

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that just gorgeous? Nice rifle

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Wonderful rifle! These old doubles seem to have a soul. I have never seen a sight reflector before.
So how did it shoot the Hornadys?

Many Thanks

Brett

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations beer

The Westley Richards doubles are my all time favorite name double, and that one is a beautiful rifle! I'm envious!

............................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Classic!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC

Awesome.

I have a similar gun, slightly less featured and less condition than your beauty.

They are fine, solid guns that last the years.

Mine is a 500/465 Extractor boxlock.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear the stories that rifle could tell... Nice rifle!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The best with that rifle.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a beautiful "classic" double rifle in a great caliber.

Now you just need to go harvest a few buff & elephant for some great trophy photo's!

Congrats & good hunting, Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! Congratulations! Can't wait to see that one at the range!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Classic English lines!!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Do they get any better?
I think not!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They don't come much better than that my friend

Keep it safe and use it as was intended.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
What a sweet rifle! Any one of us would be proud to hunt with it. tu2

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any thought to the pins (screws) on the top of the fences? perhaps for the strikers....

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
Just wonderful. Congratulations.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful classic rifle. Wish you all the best with a great rifle.

Is it a WR box lock action or is it a Webley action finished and sold by WR?

I know of a Evans 450 NE like that built on a Webley action.

Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11234 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic WR - beautiful rifle!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Any thought to the pins (screws) on the top of the fences? perhaps for the strikers....

Yes. Pretty sure mine has disc in the face of the gun.

Quite a few english guns have these screws.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it get any better?. Nope!!.

That´s the kind of double I wish to end up with on day.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC

I have had a number of people who have held or shot mine say that if they had to take one gun / DR for use around the world, mine would be it.

Everyone who sees it loves it and I think yours
would be exactly the same except more so as it is a better gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

505G

I notice in this picture there doesn't appear to be any cast off on the stock. Is this the same on yours?
Maybe it's because there is no cheek piece so no cast off is needed? Nice clean lines on this stock.

Would love to see pic's of yours added to the thread if they are available.

Rhodes
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes:
quote:

MHC that is a beautiful rifle. Great condition too.

Rhodes cast off is to order normally. I have an old H&H bolt gun (100yrs old this month!) that has a small cheek piece and was ordered without cast off. It is to suit the original owner. Fortunately it fits me pretty well too.

Cheers, Chris

505G

I notice in this picture there doesn't appear to be any cast off on the stock. Is this the same on yours?
Maybe it's because there is no cheek piece so no cast off is needed? Nice clean lines on this stock.

Would love to see pic's of yours added to the thread if they are available.

Rhodes
DRSS

DRSS

Posts: 1973 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rhodes

I have no close up pictures of it, only one's
I have would be of it on a Buffalo or in my hands
with a Buff and the gun is a long way from me.

Re cast, can't remember.

I'll see if i can find a photo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:

Yes. Pretty sure mine has disc in the face of the gun.
I agree but most of the time you see them on the side of ball

Quite a few english guns have these screws.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree but most of the time you see them on the side of ball

Zephyr

You mean on the side of the fences ?

Not sure on that, most of the one's I see
are on the top.

Be interested in other people's opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my Purdy Shotgun I have screws (pins) on the side of the fence that Purdy refers to as Disc Stop Pins.
My Gibbs 450 NE which is a WS action has two screws (pins) located on the back of the fence that I assumed were the same, they are instead associated with the secondary sears. My initial remark was based on the fact that I have never seen pins located on the top of the fences. But Am always ready to see something new.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that WR used at least two different box lock action types for their doubles both shotguns and rifles. Both action types could be had with drop locks at an added cost. The picture of this rifle shows the Webley type action. The more common and most sought after are the C-bolt variations. It had a bolt with a very wide base on top lever. It also had a much deeper action body then the Webley type. I call it a Webley type as that is what it appears like to me but may actually be a different action type. I have owned both types and always thought that the Webley type was much sleeker but I don't know if there was a strength difference between them or if the Webley type was actually a second grade rifle. Can anyone shed any light on this?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505G, no problem, it was just a thought if you had the gun handy to snap some off. There are plenty of pic's in this thread to feast our eye's.

RockDoc, Re cast off, I guess you are right, all the old guns were bespoke after all.

Rhodes
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle does have cast off for a right had shooter.

I will try and post the specs on the rifle later today,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing noticed that is fun about this rifle is that the folding leafs are in front of the standing sight where as we mostly see them behind.
It will be interesting to see with modern ammo or reloads how their perspective trajectories compare with the holdovers neatly given on the initial shield. It looks from the pictures that the elevation numbers were carefully scratched in by an owner of this rifle who was very attuned to it's performance....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another thing noticed that is fun about this rifle is that the folding leafs are in front of the standing sight where as we mostly see them behind.
It will be interesting to see with modern ammo or reloads how their perspective trajectories compare with the holdovers neatly given on the initial shield. It looks from the pictures that the elevation numbers were carefully scratched in by an owner of this rifle who was very attuned to it's performance....

My first thought on the sights is the builder put them on backwards, but they are marked correctly - the standing is 100yds and the four flip up sights are 200-300-400-500yds. The holdovers scribed on the initial shield are a neat touch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are the specs on the gun:

#T7172, Westley Richards & Co. London, A 450 3 1/4" Nitro Express Boxlock Ejector Made in 1921 with 26" Shoe Lump Barrels with Rib Extension "C-Bolting" dolls head with a third bite, A full length rib with 1 standing & 4 folding rear sights, Front sight with an angled inset reflector to brighten the front bead, Nitro proved at 70 Cordite & 480 grain bullet, Bushed strikers, Double triggers, Splinter forend with a horn tip, Pistol grip stock at 14 1/2" LOP over a horn buttplate with the maker's logo, Add a 1" pad and save the horn butt and it will go to 15 5/16" LOP, Cast-off for the right hand, 11 lbs. 3 oz., Horn grip cap, No cheekpiece, Fairly decent wood that is stout in every respect, This piece is smack on the face with all the bite left one could hope for, The bores remain excellent, The whole is cased in a later trunk added to the gun.

The gun came from Champlin Firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC

The original makers butt plate is a nice touch but I imagine the felt recoil would be quite brisk without a pad?

Rhodes
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Looking at this rifle almost brought a tear to my eye. No bolsters or chopper-lump barrels; it just has beautiful lines and the real reassurance of the dolls head.

I love the sighting instructions, too, esp. for 150 yards.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote