Find
Notify
Tools

Doublerifle at Champlins!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have bought a doublerifle at Champlin Firearms
several mounths back, and Champlins have had money and importpapers since mid august.When I called them in late aug to hear when they would ship the gun I was informed:" within 10 days". GREAT!!.
I haven`t recieved the gun yet because they haven`t done anything about yet. I have called them 2x since then and :" it would go out next week!. I have e-mailen them...but they don`t reply e-mails. Confused
To this day they have had all things ready to go in over 90 days, but when i called them yesterday, Oklahoma quailhunt had started, so "maybe next week" was the reply!
What is normal reponstime from other gunshops in america, when buying something, until you get it? Smiler
Am I just being too impatient or what? Hurl the stones at me...hahaha sofa

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something smells! Who are you talking to at Cahamlin's?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Something smells! Who are you talking to at Cahamlin's?

I speak with Georges secretary..!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to talk to George.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Call George. Speak to him. Remind him of the time it has taken and ask him when will the rifle be in hand.

If his time line does not suit you ask him for your money back. I am sure he will refund it.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Jens

I am by nature a very inpatient man IMHO 90 days is totally unacceptable. I would never allow it to get that much out of hand.
90 days!!!!! LOL I would have legal representation after 30 days.
Local legal representation is grand sport and always seems to motivate even the slowest bubba.
What kind of company is Champlin firearms?
I am use to German military precision where business in conducted like blitz krieg.
This would never happen with Hartmann & Weiss in Hamburg!
Sounds like you need to ask for your money back or Fed-Ex next day delivery.
They need to Get-R-Done.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of the laws regarding

exporting a rifle from the USA to Denmark.

I am sure that this man must speak directly

to George Caswell to get a full under-

standing of what is involved.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several dealings with George and the gang and they have always been very helpful and expeditious with shipping or payment. Perhaps there is a glitch in the export paperwork since, God knows, bureaucrats are involved. I have never had a personal dealing with "German Military Precision" since, I believe, that expired with a couple gallons of gas and a concrete ditch in May of '45, as I recall.

Dutch

Here's to Uncle James, December 12, 1944 in Metz. Never forgotten.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have never done business with Champlins however they have a very good reputation. I would fallow the advice of others and ask to speak directly to George. I am sure there is more to this story!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done business with Champlins and they were great.

Something is wrong you need to speak with George directly.

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I sent two rifles to Champlins early last month to be sold on consignment.After five weeks they were never advertised.I made a few calls to George and he told me he had been too busy.I called yesterday and had them returned so after $250 in shipping expenses they are on their way home now.

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 905 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatcha got for sale WVFred?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVFred:
I sent two rifles to Champlins early last month to be sold on consignment.After five weeks they were never advertised.I made a few calls to George and he told me he had been too busy.I called yesterday and had them returned so after $250 in shipping expenses they are on their way home now.

Fred

Holy smokes,

It sounds like something is afoul at Champlins!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Canada and have had guns go both ways across the border and the paper work can take 3 months. The drill goes like this: I have to get an import permit from Ottawa which can take a month or so , that goes to a licenced exporter in the US. He then gets an export permit from Washington which can take months .Then he can ship it out. Not everyone has an exporters licence,its a cut above the standard FFL so you pay for that as well.There is a company here that specializes in US imports but they quote up to 3 months. I know George has an Export Licence but he still has to jump through the Bureaucratic hoops.I would speak with George and by pass Judy.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spoked with George about shipping that double rifle. The gun is an antiuqe by american laws and doesn`t require any other paperwork exept for an invoice to be filled out.
I too have only heard good things about Champlin Firearms....thats why I chosed to buy from them in the first place. Smiler
He secretary sound very nice and sincere, but when they don`t answer/reply any e-mails and when they doesn`t understand i have bought a gun and they need to send that thing, I can only stick to facts.... They don´t take their customers seriously or has no intention to go thru with the transaction. Frowner(the last part)

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
hi jens
i feel for you, i know how long you been waiting for the gun.
just tell george to ship the damn thing NOW, he got a good reputation so he should stand up to his word.
you still got a date with the pheasant down here. lefty

regards peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
hi jens
i feel for you, i know how long you been waiting for the gun.
just tell george to ship the damn thing NOW, he got a good reputation so he should stand up to his word.
you still got a date with the pheasant down here. lefty

regards peter

I'd simply say "if you are not going to ship my rifle, then send my money home!" coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`LL call Champs again tommorrow and natually as always be polite, optimistic and with a gentle tone ask them if really want to send that thing to me, when it comes down to the bottom line. thumb

...hey Pete..!
I´ll take up that invitation here soon before x-mas dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens

Any news from Champlin?
They sure have some fine rifles at their site.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Jens

Any news from Champlin?
They sure have some fine rifles at their site.

Cheers,

André

Nope!

Yep ...they have fine rifles indeed...
I`LL give them a call tomorrow...again..haha
and see whats what.. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is incredible you have waited so long for them to act.

just get your money refunded - they are not a reliable supplier today no matter how good they were before !

there is no excuse for treatung customers that way.

telling them "bird season opens " is just bird shit from unreliable sellers.

it appears george doesn't give a damn about you, his business or his prior reputation.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
it is incredible you have waited so long for them to act.

just get your money refunded - they are not a reliable supplier today no matter how good they were before !

there is no excuse for treatung customers that way.

telling them "bird season opens " is just bird shit from unreliable sellers.

it appears george doesn't give a damn about you, his business or his prior reputation.

I am a patient man of nature, and I have learned to say "Please" and "I`m sorry".
When being nice and patient towards friends and businessconnections, their true nature is often revealed. Wink
I have a member of my american family taken over the "champlincase" since last monday...let see what happens!.

Just called them myself here 5min ago, speaking with jj. It appeares some misunderstanding or something have went on.. coffee
Things ought to straighten out here today. dancing JJ would speak with George when he gets in later today to have the gun going out..... today. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would e-mail a link to this forum topic and let George read it. stir

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't they have cell phones in the US?
Ask JJ for Georges cell phone number and talk directly to him.
They are making you run around in a circle acting like they don't know what is going on.
All employees have responsibility and must act accordingly.
GET LOCAL LEGAL REPRESENTATION, have someone drive out there and se the rifle and tell them how you want this resolved.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past, I have talked to George on his cell phone a number

of times when he's been away from the store, whether near or far.

This particular transaction sounds so unlike any other that I have
ever heard of, or experienced with Champlins. Confused

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
hi jens

call me, another one is on holt here the 13 so if you still want one without complications now is the time.

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champlins just e-mailed here...The gun will gets its "oklahoma goodbye kisses" today... dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens

WOW that sure sounds great.....maybe to good to be true. bewildered shocker
With fed-Ex or UPS next day delivery you should have it before the end of this week then! Weapons in this class should not be snail mailed and after all they put you true any other shipping service that next day delivery is an insult bewildered
Make sure to get tracking number and name of currier service.
I will bet you a bottle of Chateauneuf-Du-Pape that the rifle will NOT ship today Eeker
I hope that I and wrong and that you will be able to say "I told you so" AND enjoy the wine!

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jens

WOW that sure sounds great.....maybe to good to be true. bewildered shocker
With fed-Ex or UPS next day delivery you should have it before the end of this week then! Weapons in this class should not be snail mailed and after all they put you true any other shipping service that next day delivery is an insult bewildered
Make sure to get tracking number and name of currier service.
I will bet you a bottle of Chateauneuf-Du-Pape that the rifle will NOT ship today Eeker
I hope that I and wrong and that you will be able to say "I told you so" AND enjoy the wine!
Cheers,
André

I appeares that I get to buy you a good bottle of wine Wink
The last e-mail I got from them was here monday, that they would inform me with airway bill# + trackingcode(barcode). I haven`t heard anything yet...so apparently they haven´t got around to it yet. Under normal cicumstances I could live with a slow-pope mail, but actually I had expected the gun no later than today.. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens

Still NO rifle?
What is going on?
I am getting pissed off and it is not even my rifle Mad Big Grin
I just hate to see another rifle aficionado gets screwed on a deal.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jens

Still NO rifle?
What is going on?
I am getting pissed off and it is not even my rifle Mad Big Grin
I just hate to see another rifle aficionado gets screwed on a deal.Cheers,
André

Recieved an e-mail here thursday....They are working hard to get the gun out here now Wink

Its kinna funny...sometimes I get to loose interest in this gun...maybe its that way, when one have to wait that long to get it. Once it gets past my doorstep, excitement will fill the soul again Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Champlins just e-mailed here...The gun will gets its "oklahoma goodbye kisses" today... dancing

Jens
They told you that they would ship it on the 4th of December - BUT DID NOT!!!
What makes you think they will ship it now?

What kind of company is Champlin Firearms?

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Its kinna funny...sometimes I get to loose interest in this gun...maybe its that way, when one have to wait that long to get it. Once it gets past my doorstep, excitement will fill the soul again Smiler

dont worry jens, it will come to you, just remember never to buy from them again.....
..........crab company............

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Jens, Maybe consider sending a link to this thrread to them..
It might speed things up..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I am shocked by all of this. The last rifle I bought form them was here in record time and was as advertised no surprises.

I wonder if they are having some internal problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just remember never to buy from them again.....

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Long ago, Champlin's had a nice double rifle on their table at a gun show that they had just traded another dealer for. I had seen the gun at an earlier show and had decided to buy it, but didn't get back in time, and now George had it. He gave the same deal the other dealer offered (well below asking price). He said he'd just traded for it, so hadn't had time to go over it or shoot it, and suggested that he take it back to Oklahoma with him for a strip & clean and check-up, and said he'd load some ammo for it, make sure it shot OK, and send it down with some ammo for me to try with it. You can bet that the other dealer wasn't going to do any of that for me.

A couple weeks later, the gun just arrived, with ammo, via UPS. I'd never bought a gun from them before, and they had not a penny of my money yet, just a hand shake. It was a nice double rifle, and wasn't cheap. I called George, and he said "Take it out, shoot it, and see what you think. If you like it, send me a check. If you don't, send it back, and let's see if we can find something you do like." I sent the check.

A few years ago, a good friend bought a nice Holland & Holland double rifle (read: expensive) from Champlin's. A lovely rifle from 1909. Three months later, during handload development, it blew up, thankfully with no one injured. The gun had been on consignment - not Champlin's gun. George bought the gun back at full price out of his own pocket - despite it being a 90 year old gun blown with handloads. My friend didn't lose a dime. I've told a number of other dealers I know about it and they've been stunned - they wouldn't even have considered doing such a thing under those circumstances.

I've known George for over 20 years now. If George always had what I was looking for, he would be the only dealer I would ever buy from - because I know I can buy from him at a fair pirce and at absolutely zero risk, and it's easy to get burned bad buying the kind of stuff I'm interested in from other dealers.

I won't say that I don't believe what has been posted here. I will say that it's the absolute polar opposite of what is normal in dealing with them - and that usually means that there is more to the story than what we're reading here.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also done business with Champlin Arms.

I met George at a DSC show and advised him I wanted a 450cal double rifle.

He called me and told me he had a couple for me to look at and shoot.

I drove to Champlins. I test fired a 450 No2 and a 450/400 3 1/4" I also liked. I was there for 3 days and it rained most of the time, so complete testing could not be done.

He sent me home with both doubles, with only a handshake, to test at my leisure. he said, just mail them back if you do not want them.

I told him I could NEVER mail such expensive guns, and that I would drive them back to OK myself. He said "No problem, take your time".

Well I bought them both, and have been very happy with my purchase.

OH, and I was the one doing the load development on the 500/465 H&H, for another AR poster, when it let go.

George knew it was not a "reload problem" and stood behind the double 100%.

Very few, if any, would have dome the same.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I have been following this thread with interest.

I have no doubt there are many guys who have had great experiences with Champlins. We cannot overlook the fact that one thread originator is having a problem, and from what I have read, it seems very inconsistent with what other happy customers write.

I have bought one rifle from them and it was fine BUT I had to wait FOREVER for it- it took them 3 and a half weeks to ship it to me after I paid in full for it, then they billed me for shipping!

I was not to happy. I think they are nice people but perhaps sometimes things slip through the cracks.

I am presently having a major problem with another shop that many people here rave about. I am sure that if/when I post about it there will be a chorus of people writing that their friend is great, they had great experiences and I must not be telling the whole story etc.

I think I have learned that there are very few people who are consistently good at what they do.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
just remember never to buy from them again.....

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Long ago, Champlin's had a nice double rifle on their table at a gun show that they had just traded another dealer for. I had seen the gun at an earlier show and had decided to buy it, but didn't get back in time, and now George had it. He gave the same deal the other dealer offered (well below asking price). He said he'd just traded for it, so hadn't had time to go over it or shoot it, and suggested that he take it back to Oklahoma with him for a strip & clean and check-up, and said he'd load some ammo for it, make sure it shot OK, and send it down with some ammo for me to try with it. You can bet that the other dealer wasn't going to do any of that for me.

A couple weeks later, the gun just arrived, with ammo, via UPS. I'd never bought a gun from them before, and they had not a penny of my money yet, just a hand shake. It was a nice double rifle, and wasn't cheap. I called George, and he said "Take it out, shoot it, and see what you think. If you like it, send me a check. If you don't, send it back, and let's see if we can find something you do like." I sent the check.

A few years ago, a good friend bought a nice Holland & Holland double rifle (read: expensive) from Champlin's. A lovely rifle from 1909. Three months later, during handload development, it blew up, thankfully with no one injured. The gun had been on consignment - not Champlin's gun. George bought the gun back at full price out of his own pocket - despite it being a 90 year old gun blown with handloads. My friend didn't lose a dime. I've told a number of other dealers I know about it and they've been stunned - they wouldn't even have considered doing such a thing under those circumstances.

I've known George for over 20 years now. If George always had what I was looking for, he would be the only dealer I would ever buy from - because I know I can buy from him at a fair pirce and at absolutely zero risk, and it's easy to get burned bad buying the kind of stuff I'm interested in from other dealers.

I won't say that I don't believe what has been posted here. I will say that it's the absolute polar opposite of what is normal in dealing with them - and that usually means that there is more to the story than what we're reading here.
-----------------------------------------------

this all sounds swell.
I do however believe that a business is no better then its last deal.
Why don't one of you who has known George for xx years give him a ring and have him elaborate on this deal. I dear you, hell I triple dog dare you!!! Big Grin
It would be funny to hear this story from one of Georges good old customers.
Champlin firearms sure have some great weapons on their site, I could be interested in one or two, but this story just tells me NOT to take it further then my dreams.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do however believe that a business is no better then its last deal.

Ah, I see. Then goodwill doesn't exist for you. Must be a miserable way to go through life.
------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote