THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sooo, bloom is off the Sabattis?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sooo, bloom is off the Sabattis?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Once we all realized how these rifles are being regulated, has most everyone lost interest in them?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16471 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Once we all realized how these rifles are being regulated, has most everyone lost interest in them?

...................................... horse

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
killpc

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is and for the good reason you mention but for me the answer will be found when my Sabatti is returned - see this thread:

Click here ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3462 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I don´t mind how they are regulated, I shot mine (9,3x74) at 100 yards with open sights and one shot was 10 (center) and the other one 9...

For what I hunt, and where I hunt, that's more than enough for me Wink

I am taking him hunting next week for the first time !!!

If you want a 40K rifle...pay 40K, if you want a 3K rifle....Roll Eyes

End of story.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll sit this one out Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I think I'll sit this one out Big Grin

I love my .450 and it shoots great, but I think I will join you! Smiler

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CCMdoc: That is wonderful news.
Didn't mean to flail a dead mule, but thought I would start fresh on these tempting guns.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16471 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
IMO, a fair question.

I was told that Sabatti will replace the barrels and properly regulate all guns returned to them with the out-of round crowns.

If true and my Sabatti returns with new, properly regulated barrels then I'd say it's a new ball game.

I will reserve final judgement until the 450/400 is back in my hands. I have never been disappointed with Cabela's customer service and trust that the same will be true in this endeavor.

Posts: 3462 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
IMO, a fair question.

I was told that Sabatti will replace the barrels and properly regulate all guns returned to them with the out-of round crowns.

If true and my Sabatti returns with new, properly regulated barrels then I'd say it's a new ball game.

Agree, a new ball game - and good for them for at last doing something.

I think they may have "seen the light" ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
IMO, a fair question.

Agree, a new ball game - and good for them for at last doing something.

I think they may have "seen the light" ?

Well as much as I like to be optimistic, I would like to see the results before I answer that

but ...

If they do take care of it properly then I'd say the voices here on AR:

made owners look and think

then share their concerns and displeasure with Cabela's

who used their clout to have Sabatti revisit their practices and correct them ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. However they would be bloody stupid to stuff it up twice !

But I do like the sound of this "I was told that Sabatti will replace the barrels and properly regulate all guns returned to them with the out-of round crowns."

If they replace the barrels, how could they not get it right ? I hope that is not wishful thinking.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I really hope this rebarreling thing works out.

I still won't be getting one, as I'm getting a Taksdale.

But, IF this turns out right, it would mean that Sabattis are or will be what I/we thought/hoped they would be, ie. a good (decent), working double at a (comparatively) affordable price.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Andy at Cabelas earlier this afternoon in reference to the filed muzzles on my rifle and he assured me that they will fix the problem. I am very happy with the accuracy of my rifle but can't accept the sloppy crown work. It'll go out on Monday.

I'll withhold judgement until I see how it turns out, but it looks as if Cabelas is doing the right thing.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
To where are you sending them? Back to the Cabelas store from whence they came?

Posts: 17149 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I think we need a new section for sabatti rifles only......Smiler

Mac

Posts: 1727 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I think we need a new section for sabatti rifles only......Smiler

jumping animal tu2 G.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
To where are you sending them? Back to the Cabelas store from whence they came?

You could do that or send them to USSG in Florida with a letter with your contact information and serial number of the double.
I did the latter after conferring with Cabelas folk.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Might still be decent rifles if they regulate them properly. Anxious to hear how it turns out for those of you who own them.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine both went back. I will await what the future holds for them as I do believe they will eventually sort things out and get the regulation right. I was pleased with all else on mine.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen this is one last post from me on the Sabatti double rifles, till the outcome of the re-regulation or re-barreling of the rifles turns out to be a fix. The fact is if they had cut cost in some other place besides the F.U.B.A.R. grinder fiasco, there would have never been a problem in the first place, and they wouldn’t have ruined their reputation.

I will also assure you the re-barreling of these many FUBARD rifles will surely raise the cost of the next shipment, because it will not only be the cost of the new barrels but the re-doing cost in skilled labor on the ones they screwed up to be recovered.

I really wish they had been good rifles to begin with, because the price would have put a lot of double rifles in the hunting fields of North America. I looked at the first five Cabella’s rifles at the Dallas Safari Show, and was tempted myself. I did, however, do what I always do with a new rifle on the market. I said I will wait till the rifleS prove them selves in the field. Usually the price goes up after they become accepted, but even a couple thousand dollars more is still a bargain if they prove to be OK. In this case they WERE not ok, and we will see what the next crop will be! If they are pretty THAT'S fine, but if they don’t shoot they may as well be a toy cap guns! I hopefully await the positive reports on the ones coming in another couple of years, but their reputation has taken a severe hit with the first batch!

…………………………….. HERES HOPEING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Oh cool another Sabatti thread. yankees

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
I was told that Sabatti will replace the barrels and properly regulate all guns returned to them with the out-of round crowns.[QUOTE]
This would never have come about without all the posts on AR. Good job men.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that the investment value of the older DRs will come back? Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Does this mean that the investment value of the older DRs will come back? Wink

They never went, so no need to come back.

The exception IMHO is maybe the cheaper, not so good condition BP DR's,
often a person's entry DR. I think they have dropped a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, if they cannot do the dremel-regulation and they do not jack up the price, where will they cut costs now to keep their margin?

That is just on the new ones. What else is going to be detected as problematic as the years pass with the ones already out there? Cheap steel? Heat-treating issues?

It would be a brave man to buy one of these period. But two grand for the used ones seems the high end of what they are worth.

Overall, 5,000 foot-lbs erupting inches from your face seems like a big risk to take on a product from a company whose primary interest is not in quality or reputation.

Oh yeah, it is also worth stating that when I looked on French hunting forums they already had a bad reputation over there. In 2009.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganShooter:
Of course, if they cannot do the dremel-regulation and they do not jack up the price, where will they cut costs now to keep their margin?

That is just on the new ones. What else is going to be detected as problematic as the years pass with the ones already out there? Cheap steel? Heat-treating issues?

It would be a brave man to buy one of these period. But two grand for the used ones seems the high end of what they are worth.

Overall, 5,000 foot-lbs erupting inches from your face seems like a big risk to take on a product from a company whose primary interest is not in quality or reputation.

Oh yeah, it is also worth stating that when I looked on French hunting forums they already had a bad reputation over there. In 2009.

Interesting re the bad rap in France.

I wonder where they will cut corners next. It's a pity if they do, I would profer a higher price and get a good product - but I stated that at the beginning. The problem is, form normally holds true !!! LOL

MichiganShooter, with what you posted, expect some incoming flack from various people Big Grin

Or maybe not, they seem to have gone very quiet over the last month or two since the the few on here who questioned them (and were loudly shouted down) have been shown to be correct or at least partially correct.

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
quote:

lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:

lol[/QUOTE]

I suppose the French want all guns delivered with a White Flag ? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it note worthy that the French don't like something Italian. Italians have been building guns for a long time and some are classifed as among the best in the world.
Sabatti will get it right and then I will buy one. Because of tooling advances and technology there are many examples today of modern firearms that are better than their older models AND more cost effective. Why is it believed that DRs are exempt from these advances. I am not trying to quarrel with the DR purists but I just want a good working double(it is just a hunting tool to me) at at reasonable price, Sabatti fills that order. I will never shoot it enough to matter if it will last 2 centuries.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which French forums - I'd like to have a look at what was said.

Can you post a link?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a couple of years ago, so no link. But it was quality and not providing customer service that were at issue. Google chasse and forum to get somewhere and then search for Sabatti.

And this whole question of Italians versus French, etc. looks a little different when you look at French gun sites. Have a look at Naturabuy. Plenty of Italian-made arms. It is about Sabatti, which happens to be in Italy. It is worth stating both Purdey and Holland & Holland source a great deal from Italy.

Observers have been very kind about this whole Sabatti thing, I think. Very frequently people are unwilling to tolerate criticism of what they have paid hard-earned cash to buy. Same thing with some fraction of Sabatti buyers. I am in sales and see it all the time. It is a weird thing--like the way captives identify with their kidnappers or beaten wives show loyalty to rotten husbands. People who have made a commitment will go through hell or high water before they are willing to admit in public that they have been caught up in events and would be better off looking to change. When I saw someone produce a factory regulation target from a Sabatti double rifle that only had one barrel firing, I just about fell over. He had obviously been lied to and had obviously intentionally been sold a piece of shit. What else was possible? It broke sitting in the Cabelas display case?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Because of tooling advances and technology there are many examples today of modern firearms that are better than their older models AND more cost effective. Why is it believed that DRs are exempt from these advances. I am not trying to quarrel with the DR purists but I just want a good working double(it is just a hunting tool to me) at at reasonable price, Sabatti fills that order. I will never shoot it enough to matter if it will last 2 centuries.

I agree and have no problem with tooling / machining advances - and it is good that lower cost DR's are coming onto the market.

Where I have a problem is someone knowing which corners to cut and which not to and Sab got it very wrong - which I also hope they will rectify for the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N,

I agree that Sabatti got it wrong. The laws of capitalism will make them get it right or get out of the game. If my memory serves me, the Sabattis were inspected by JJ and given a pass. This "dremel tool" regulation seems to be the only thing wrong with them. I don't think their damaged reputation will allow them to raise prices for a while. In fact they may soften a bit. Just my opinion nothing more.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JJ and given a pass

Then he then later said he would not work on them.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
quote:
JJ and given a pass

When and to whom did he say he would not work on them? What he told me, and what I reported on AR was that anyone who said he would do a regulation in the manner of the Sabattis was talking "bullshit". His opinion of the Sabatti, after working on mine and my partners was that they were good at the price. I so reported his comments with his permission. This was prior to the discovery of the cut barrel regulation issue.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
quote:
JJ and given a pass

When and to whom did he say he would not work on them? What he told me, and what I reported on AR was that anyone who said he would do a regulation in the manner of the Sabattis was talking "bullshit". His opinion of the Sabatti, after working on mine and my partners was that they were good at the price. I so reported his comments with his permission. This was prior to the discovery of the cut barrel regulation issue.

Jesus Lionhunter, you are on a high horse today !!! LOL

It was later than he told someone else and that person posted up here
that JJ would no longer work on them.

And I think it was during that period of finding the cut barrel issue.

IMHO, he was sensible to bow out of the Sab Saga less he get tainted / tarred
with the same brush !!! LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good God Lionhunter I thought you and I had squashed this you yourself said you'd stick to bolts over sabs now your panties in a knot again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
20 below
Posted 21 March 2011 01:12 Hide Post
Ihave been following this issue as well and have the same concerns about sability and penetration. I call JJ on Friday and was told they no longer work on Sabatti.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't mean anything that JJ will not work on them. Chevy guys don't like working on Fords, etc. Now, if he said they were a POS and he wouldn't work on them, then that means something. There were many here on AR who liked their Sabattis before they discovered the flaw.
BTW, I wouldn't expect any help from EAA, send them back to Italy. Guys, I don't own one, I'm just seeing the positives, and hoping they fix em.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)