THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    NEW Sabatti Double Rifles announced at DSC Expo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW Sabatti Double Rifles announced at DSC Expo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
The Italian Firearms Group(IFG) booth number is 1108-1109 and well worth a visit if you want to be among the first to see these new Sabatti rifles being introduced at DSC Expo for the first time in America. Their sales and marketing representative,Larry Pancake of Amarillo, Texas explained to me that these rifles are different from the rifles distributed by Cabelas. From my first look at them, I agree. The ones with full length sidelocks are very nice. They still have an entry level model 92 in 45-70 and 9.3 X 74 at about $3,000 + and some higher grades up to around $7,000.
http://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/sabatti/

IFG also has a sweet handling Fair double rifle in 9.3x74 that was hard not to buy on the spot!
http://www.italianfirearmsgrou...ms/iside-safari-sxs/

Larry can also fill you in on the Sabatti side of the bad press they received after some of the Cabelas distributed rifles' barrels were filed to "regulate them".
It appears that IFG will distribute these rifles themselves and for the sake of all folks wanting an entry level double rifle, I hope they shoot as good as they look.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
I wish they would loose that ?????????? I don't know how to describe it, top lever.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
You mean that thumb lever thingy? Maybe you could put duct tape over the holes?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
bondo

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a review for those of us that won't/didn't make it to DSC?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They looked pretty good to me. I did not inspect in great detail.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sid,
I want to wait a couple days more until all the AR members get back to their computers so we can get more comments from knowledgeable folks like Larry.
Maybe then, I will not have to add anything. Wink

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't profess to be an expert on doubles . I looked at one of Sabbatti's for perhaps 30 seconds. It looked nice to me. This gun was a 450NE.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The fact that they used these to put one over on the less informed / new to DR shooters is all I need to know about them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the price for a .500 nitro express?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think $7800

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Do they use heat to join the barrels?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there. I looked at them and 100O other double rifles. They looked cheap. And that's coming from a Merkel owner. They might shoot great, they might not, but they'll never look good. Cheap looking machine engraving and white lettering on top of barrels drawing attention to importer,etc. I'm not rich and I appreciate a bargain as much as anybody, but I value value much more than price, and pride of ownership factors heavily into the value equation. I would not buy one unless it was the only way I would ever be able to own a double rifle.

Posts: 147 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ebrownw2:
I was there. I looked at them and 100O other double rifles. They looked cheap. And that's coming from a Merkel owner. They might shoot great, they might not, but they'll never look good. Cheap looking machine engraving and white lettering on top of barrels drawing attention to importer,etc. I'm not rich and I appreciate a bargain as much as anybody, but I value value much more than price, and pride of ownership factors heavily into the value equation. I would not buy one unless it was the only way I would ever be able to own a double rifle.

This was exactly the way that I felt when I saw them at the show when they first came out,just did not instill any confidence in me when I shouldered one,& it was later that my buddy discovered the ground barrels & exposed the whole fiasco,some people are happy with them & I wish them well,my first rifle was also a Merkel,DR's are quality rifles,the price was good but I just could not warm up to a Sabbatti,I really wish this company well & hope the quality has improved to where they would be worth looking at a second time,cheers.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a saying: "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...".

My first step would have been to change all of the markings and ditch that dorky top lever.
The only nice thing to say is that they look better than a Baikal.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
there's a saying: "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...".

Yep.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
They will try but their reputation has suffered greatly. Even with the resurrection I can't see how it is possible to build a quality double for $3-7000. The word is quality. It seems today everyone wants the cheapest thing they can get. Look at all the sporting bolt action rifle with plastic stocks, CNC made barrels and actions. Not a speck of workmanship and hand work on them. The Sabattis may make a comeback but it will be to a new generation of double rifle men and not the ones that got burned by Cabelas.

Hell, for about the same price one can find a vintage black powder express in .450 or .500 that will be real hand made quality. With some history, too. Been there and done that. These old express rifles can be found for 6K and have a proven record of success and reliability. Hell when the vintage rifles were made Dremel tools were not invented yet so the regulation had to be done right.
cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7,000 for a sabatti sounds expensive. didnt they sell from cabellas at 4,000?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different model.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
7,000 for a sabatti sounds expensive. didnt they sell from cabellas at 4,000?

The price went up, likely because they had to hire a real regulator to make them worth owning!

..................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
FYI-
At DSC, I had an acquaintance take a C-----a's purchased Sabatti to the "new" importer.

The "new" importer is going to have it fixed.

Will wait for the results.

But- It is good to know the new importer which had no responsibility is making a effort to enhance the reputation.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any experience with their customer service?
Do they have a place in the states that will handle warranty or other issues?

I would like to buy the wife a 45-70 or other smaller caliber for deer hunting if the price is right.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can by other brands in the 7,000 dollar rage right?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes you can! In a couple of weeks I will put up one or two vintage black powder doubles for less!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have seen new Merkels in 450/400 & 470 for $7,500. I know nothing of double rifles but I own a Merkel shotgun and it is an excellent piece.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the Merkels are better than the sabattis i take it. I may have to take a look at them in .500 nitro express.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the Merkels are better than the sabattis i take it. I may have to take a look at them in .500 nitro express.

I don't think there is any doubt of that fact!

.................................................................... patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes you can! In a couple of weeks I will put up one or two vintage black powder doubles for less!
Cal

Cal, any 577s? :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Charles, I bought the .45-70 Sabatti 92 Express rifle from IFG at DSC. I looked at them on Thursday and bought it on Saturday. I'll get a range report out once I've had time to shoot it.

The basic Sabattis Cablelas was selling had a case coloring (fake?) and were 2500 with the higher grade ones being 5000. I think later they raised the prices to 3000 and 5500.
This rifle I have has a gunmetal or coin coloring on it.

I'm a poor country boy and can't afford a Krieghoff, etc and so forth. If this rifle will shoot, it will serve my purpose well as a hog and deer buster. If I ever go back to Africa, it won't be for dangerous game, unless it's leopard. I have another rifle in mind for that if I ever get to go leopard hunting. The rifle was regulated for Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr FTX. I have .458 moulds for about 8 different weight bullets, so I'm sure I can find something to make it shoot to suit me.

At the banquet Saturday night my wife nodded towards Marc Newton and asked me why I didn't buy one of Rigby's double rifles. I had to explain to her that what I paid for the Sabatti wouldn't even make a dent in the start work deposit on a Rising Bite Big Grin (I think the start at 95000 pounds and go up from there.)

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to your range report. It looks as though they have the same recoil pad on these models as was on the Cabela's models. What are your thoughts on the recoil pad? I'd also enjoy seeing some pictures of your new purchase.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to take the recoil pad off. It's hard, red rubber. Dirt (black marks) seems to stick to it. I shoot hot .45-70 loads all the time in my Guide gun and 1886 SRC. I'd leave the recoil pad alone (not take it off simply for the sake of it), but it almost makes the length of pull too long for me. Otherwise, the rifle seems to point well for me.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Maybe I can get some pictures and shoot at 50 yards.

Larry sold these at a decent price at DSC (much less than the prices on the tags that Charles reported) in an attempt to get some on the market and see if the previous bad press could be overcome. Hope it pays off, for my sake and Sabatti's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Cabelas Sabatti is coin silver. While its regulation is adequate, I want excellent regulation so as soon as I am happy with my load development, off it will go to Aaron. So how are the new Sabattis different? Here is a pic of mine. I did shorten the pull and change the recoil pad. Mine is in 450 NE.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
My Cabelas Sabatti is coin silver. While its regulation is adequate, I want excellent regulation so as soon as I am happy with my load development, off it will go to Aaron. So how are the new Sabattis different? Here is a pic of mine. I did shorten the pull and change the recoil pad. Mine is in 450 NE.

http://sabatti.com/lista.php?gruppo=2&categoria=5

The one I have is the Classic 92 Express

http://sabatti.com/dettaglio.p...=2&categoria=5&id=18

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll look on my computer vs my phone. When I compare my 450 to the current 92 Safari Big Five, I see minor cosmetic differences. The action and barrels--which are very strong, look the same to me. The only difference of any significance would be if they regulated them properly, and to see that we have to shoot them.

I am surprised the dropped the 450 NE. That is probably the most useful caliber for an American hunter. I am glad they kept the 470 but I hope the 500 isn't built off the same barrel blanks. The Cabela's Sabatti 500 NEs were too barrel light for that chambering.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question for those that visited the Sabatti booth....Did they happen to have any of the "big bore express" over/under rifles there (as shown in the new Sabatti catalog)? And if so, what were your impression(s) of these? Based on previous Sabatti posts here, I know that I'm at risk even asking about a Sabatti double rife........let alone one in a over/under configuration! But I ain't scared! Wink Thanks, Andy #3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I don't think Sabatti had a booth at DSC, but the Italian Firearms Group the OP mentioned had several Sabattis, Pedersoli, and FAIR.
I think the only O/U Sabattis IFG had at DSC were shotguns and combination guns. I didn't really pay attention as I was only looking for a SxS in .45-70. Didn't even give the Pedersoli a glance because of the exposed hammers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
vlwtx348, Thanks for the response. Dad and I have a couple of the original 92's from Cabelas, that shoot lights out. One in 9.3x74, that shoots 286 gr hornady's and 320 gr woodleigh's into 3-4" at 100 yds (combined). Dad's 500 NE sxs shoots even better than that, seemingly with anything that he loads for it! We mounted scopes on them to get an honest idea on how good they really shoot. Crazy accurate.
The rest of the story is.......we went through seven other 500's to find his....and two 9.3's. Cabelas worked with us, with the understanding that the muzzles had to be perfect, AND we got to check the regulation, before we kept them. Alot of bench time on our part AND trust from Cabelas, but it paid off with Dad taking 2 cape buffalo in Zimbawbwe, both going down to a single shot from his 500. I guess you can say we are a couple of the happy Sabatti owners, with help from Cabelas!
Hopefully your 45-70 is one of the good ones! Andy #3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Vance,
Good show on the .45-70.

Can you bring it on the DWWC hog hunt we are booking in February at The Boars Nest in OK? It will be perfect for the terrain and for hunting behind dogs. Pix from an earlier hunt there:

You can hunt on foot (walking and stalking) or behind dogs which are managed by the owner on a mule- my fave:

It is at Kenefic, OK

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Charles, PM or email me the details on the Kenefic hunt (especially the date). That's only 80 miles from me.
I've got family in visiting from MT so my trial time may be hampered. I'll at least try the Leverevolution factory and equivalent handloads I have. I need to verify the pressures this Sabatti is safe for before I start experimenting with Grizzly and other heavy, hot loads. Just to be on the safe side. I've got some 500 gr Woodleigh loads by Grizzly and some 500 gr DGX Hornady bullets I'd like to experiment with.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Vance - will do as soon as date is finalized. The fact that the hunt is so close to us will make it on a Saturday.
BTW - the tall guy in the orange cap will be the hunt coordinator and I will contact him today .

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at