THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Poll Favorite DG Double Rifle Caliber and Why?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll Favorite DG Double Rifle Caliber and Why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
"

Why would I want to walk 20 kilometres,, (that must be at least 5 miles), in any temperature?"

Following elephant often means you will need to walk over 10ml to get onto them.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I do not own any DRs though I have been fortunate to shoot most of those calibers with Sam. The 450 was Nitro for black I think.

The reason I chose the 450/400 is for sheer nostalgia - Jim Corbett and my Indian heritage. I also happened to shoot Sam's London Sporting Park (Webley) rifle very well.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
"

Why would I want to walk 20 kilometres,, (that must be at least 5 miles), in any temperature?"

Following elephant often means you will need to walk over 10ml to get onto them.

So walking 12.42 miles in 104 degree temps with a 10.5 lb rifle is doable but if you have an 11.5 rifle it isn't doable?

Smiler Smiler

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
J
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
"

So walking 12.42 miles in 104 degree temps with a 10.5 lb rifle is doable but if you have an 11.5 ridle it isn't doable?

Smiler Smiler

I would much prefer to do it with an even lighter rifle BUT I would not do it with anything over the 11Lbs mark, thus dictating the calibre. This is from experience on a few Ele hunts and one particularly tuff Lion hunt that took place after several years of mountain climbing so I was in ok shape. So weight is a major factor in a rifle that may be carried one one such hunt (including the shorter distance buff hunts that often take place in hot and rough terrain). One should always be in a position able to wheeled their rifle with purpose and preferably not shagged carrying Kit just too heavy.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my 7th year of working in South Afrika (safari and wildlife ranching). Am a graduate of PH school. I have three DRs. The first one I purchased was a .450 NE on account of reloading versatility and comfort level in shooting...I am 74. It gets the job done...personally used on buffel and lion. I let the other PHs use it when backing up on DG. Second DR is a .375 H&H. Bought it just to have it and because ammunition is very economical. Low recoil and fun to shoot. Third DR is a .45-70. Biggest use is in tracking wounded plains game in the bush. Clients that can't shoot straight are the bane of every PH. Economical, and can get ~1900 fps with VV powder. It performs, and is "way cool" with clients...they like to carry it when appropriate (last client that used it shot an ostrich at 100 meters). Final analysis...marksmanship is everything! Enjoy the sport and whatever DR you own is the right one for you.

SCI Life Member
NRA Benefactor
PHASA Member
WRSA Member

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose the 470 Nitro as my favorite. It is the most common caliber of double in the hands of PHs in Zimbabwe. If your ammo fails to arrive, it is the easiest caliber to find there. Very likely your PH will have some. While the 500 does give you a little extra stopping power over the 470, the 470 has more than enough to stop an elephant charge. It has never failed me on an even dozen elephants taken. In fact, Taylor preferred the 500/465 which has even less stopping power than the 470.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Taylor preferred the 500/465

He preferred the 450NE... Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

Curious as to where he expressed that preference. In African Rifles and Cartridges he devotes a full two paragraphs to the .450 3 1/4". He devotes two and a half pages to the .500/.465. I just wonder where he stated a preference for the .450 NE over all other double rifle cartridges.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Tony Sanchez-Arino, who knew Taylor quite well (he met him in London in 1960), he always preferred the .500/.465.

His last double was a .450 but that is probably due to lack of funds to keep a Holland&Holland in 500/465.

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the 500-416 more and more interesting.It might not be my favorite but I think it could be accurate out to 100yds.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

Curious as to where he expressed that preference. In African Rifles and Cartridges he devotes a full two paragraphs to the .450 3 1/4". He devotes two and a half pages to the .500/.465. I just wonder where he stated a preference for the .450 NE over all other double rifle cartridges.

No idea, but it's in there somewhere, although I could be in error.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle One,
A few years back I hunted in Limpopo Province with a PH, Neil Barnard, whose family own a gorgeous farm at Sterkrivier, right beneath Hangklip. Wonderful people. Just wondering if you know them?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jorge may well be correct as Taylor expressed different choices at times! There are no flies on the 450NE and until the 470NE was released to the industry, I think the 450NE was the most common in all brands. Because the 470NE was available to the trade it suddenly became very popular.

IMO, the two cartridges he constantly touted were the 450-400, and the 375 H&H! and I would say those were really his favorites!

However like Jorge, I believe it is a toss-up with Taylor according to his many opinions on rifles.
....................................................................... Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike: You might be right, I looked (briefly) through Taylor's book tonight and other than him saying it was the caliber most PHs used at the time, there is no specific reference, at least in his book, for his predilection for the 450. I did find other sources like Graham Wright, our own Ivan Carter, Boddington,etc, where they all said the 450 would be their choice. Cheers, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thank Jorge. I could recall Taylor talking about calibers he liked and calibers he did not like, but could never remember him indicating a preference for one or another . . . other than the .375 H&H which he recommended (along with the .404 Jeffery) as the best one rifle caliber.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Ron Vella...

See private message I sent you.

Colonel Dave Nuss
"Eagle One"

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most logical choice would be the .470. Put for me personally, it would be a .450 #2 in a Bradshaw falling block to go with my 9.3x74.

I love the way Baileys rifle handles. Easiest double to carry I've ever seen, and balances so well.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hmmm, let's see. 'Gunwriter'. 'Reviewing' rifles and cartridges...
Couldn't possibly have been angling for a good deal? Wink

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my .470, but the barrels are too short. I'd like a .470 with longer barrels.

I chose the .500 because I don't yet have one and because that was John Hunter's favorite. I'd still like longer barrels.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 450 NE 3 1/4.

Reason: I just have shot the 4 first rounds with my new Verney Carron Smiler

I was a little bit excited about recoil and the kick in shoulder that had a surgery July/August 2014. Had some pain for 3-4 days, but gone now. The double is measured to fit me and it was surprisingly smooth to shoot with. Looking forward to some shooting this week during Easter holidays.

Cheers,

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
My Verney-Carron in 600NE.

Deadly in my hands on everything from citrus fruit to elephant;

Made to my specs, so fits me "just so";

Walked many, many miles tracking elephant and other game and never noticed the weight nor had any difficulty bringing it to battery when the time came;

Can use a pool cue to run an oily rag through the barrels;

Loaded ammo belt can be used as ballast for deep sea diving;

Belt slide can be used to carry amply supply of proper celebratory cigars

Some of my reasons ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
My Verney-Carron in 600NE.

Made to my specs, so fits me "just so";

Walked many, many miles tracking elephant and other game and never noticed the weight nor had any difficulty bringing it to battery when the time came;

Can use a pool cue to run an oily rag through the barrels;

Loaded ammo belt can be used as ballast for deep sea diving;

Belt slide can be used to carry amply supply of proper celebratory cigars

Some of my reasons ...

'Bout time you chimed in here. Only three of us had the correct answer. And, you forgot one more advantage: you can use your .600 as a single shot and keep a coke and sandwich in the other barrel for lunch.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I have both 450 and 500
Love them both equally

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You made the right choice; if the 450 had not been banned in 1907 (or thereabouts), it would have been far more popular and the famous 470, etc, would never have been invented.

I think you need to go back to the history book on that one! The 470NE was invented before the 450NE was banned in India, And the 450NE was never banned in Africa.

The reason the 470NE was so popular was because it was released to the trade while most other big bore double rifle rounds were preparatory rounds by makers of rifles made in that chambering.

I agree there is nothing wrong with the 450NE round and the banning in India had nothing to do with it's loss in popularity to the larger bore rounds. Most elephant hunters in the first two decades of the 20th century in Africa simply were drawn to very large chamberings.

.................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
MAC:
Was not the .450 banned in Sudan?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doc, that's because you accidently shoot both barrels at the same time :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Doc, that's because you accidently shoot both barrels at the same time :-)

Isn't that why they have two triggers?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Heym 470 NE (10.5 lbs) and really like it. Good all around feral hog gun, too!

My son like his Searcy 577 NE (13.5 lbs). He doesn't mind carrying it around, but it is just too heavy for me. True stopping round. Stopped a walking bull ele in his tracks at 5 yds and caused his buff to arch up and freeze like the hammer it is.

The best DG round is the one you can handle best under adverse conditions.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always found the discussion stopping power here strange. There is no logical explanation of why a .500 bullet will be noticeably harder "hitting" than a .470 or .450 bullet with similar sd's. The frontal area is 5-10% bigger, the weight of the bullet is 12% more (500 vs 570). Anecdotal evidence (personal stories) and blind belief dominate these discussions. I wanted a .500 because.... I find it cool and can handle it, not because it is more effective. Who would argue a .470 is significantly more powerful than a .450? Or .600 vs 577? There is no free power, no cartridge gives a leap in punch without pushing back the same, not even the fine .500. Maybe the buff or elephant under a few marginal conditions react differently to a .470 and a .600, but I'm not sure.... The moose I shoot react similarly to 6.5 swede and .375.. That is about the difference between .416 and .600..,

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
There is no logical explanation of why a .500 bullet will be noticeably harder "hitting" than a .470 or .450 bullet with similar sd's. The frontal area is 5-10% bigger, the weight of the bullet is 12% more (500 vs 570).

Confused How can there be "no logical explanation" when you in fact gave the logical explanation in the next sentence?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS an old boxer weighing 230 pounds i can hit harder (momentum) than a .600. 10% of very little is not a lot Wink

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
AS an old boxer weighing 230 pounds i can hit harder (momentum) than a .600. 10% of very little is not a lot Wink

I agree . . . assuming your fist is moving at 1900 fps.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .500 NE, because it represents the ideal combination of stopping power and tolerable recoil. Go bigger and the recoil jumps up considerably and the stopping power only jumps up incrementally. Go smaller and you give up significant stopping power chasing reduced recoil.

Same reasons

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After watching these stopping power discussions, and reading articles and books on the topic, and shooting a few animals; I think this--mathematics do a poor job of describing how a given bullet at a given velocity will affect a given animal in a given state.

However, we do have a century of actual field results with smokeless powder rounds, and when we look at those results and real world experiences we can make some generalizations.......being generalizations there are always exceptions.

In general, based on 100+ years of field results, a 450 NE is nearly identical to a 470 NE in performance. However, a 500 NE is a definite step up in power, regardless of how the math comes out.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think 500+ is cooler, but I don't believe in God or anecdotal evidence (stories). I'm not sure, but I weigh 1.7 million grains and can put half of that behind a punch.. No need for 1900fps fist Wink anyway, I think penetration to cns is the issue and that decreases over .450... Near miss of brain with 10% bigger bullet or momentum... not a practical factor... I can't speak from a lot of experience, but I don't think that is the issue, there are also stories of 600, 700, 2 bores etc not having enough penetration..

I think it is placebo... Confirmation bias in the hunter causing these perceptions, nothing more. That said I would love to have a 500+, especially a 4 bore !

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Differences of opinion . . . that is what makes a horse race. I do find it interesting when I think about the number of professional hunters that used .416 and .458 caliber rifles that made the jump to .500 and larger caliber rifles. They either believe in God or anecdotal evidence or have observed something in actual field experience that causes them to believe that the ~15% difference in bullet weight and ~11% difference in bullet diameter are material.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone i spoke to[who used 500s on big game,and i have ] and one well known PH, all said that 500s had a Extra Noticeable effect on Big game compared to lesser calibres ,i dont think thats bat crap ,but might be to people who use something ''smaller''and dont want to go any bigger

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
The 500 is definitley a bigger hammer,no arguments from me on that,I have heard from PH's who have noticed the difference in a hit by a 500 versus smaller calibers,I do not have a 500,no plans to get one anytime soon,maybe one day,there might be one in my safe,but for now my big bore DG rifles are in the 470NE,500/416NE & 458 Lott,have hunted DG with all three,all worked fine except one instance where I shot a soft in a buff's arse ha ha,that was not a good day,I dont feel I need any more horse power to get the job done,if you dont shoot your gun enough even a cannon wont be enough anyways.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think 500+ is cooler, but I don't believe in God or anecdotal evidence (stories). I'm not sure, but I weigh 1.7 million grains and can put half of that behind a punch.. No need for 1900fps fist Wink anyway, I think penetration to cns is the issue and that decreases over .450... Near miss of brain with 10% bigger bullet or momentum... not a practical factor... I can't speak from a lot of experience, but I don't think that is the issue, there are also stories of 600, 700, 2 bores etc not having enough penetration..

I think it is placebo... Confirmation bias in the hunter causing these perceptions, nothing more. That said I would love to have a 500+, especially a 4 bore !

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

PM me. I may sell my 4-bore double. I have a nice 8 for sale now.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa