New
Find
Notify
Tools

375x74, anybody made one
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Considering rules in some African countries and advantages of 9.3x74 case, seems to me that a good double barrel round could be something like 375x74. Very easy to make, just run 9.3x74 case on .375†expanding mandrel and reload in proper dies. The only thing I would do is to make it necked like 375 Hawk/Scovill ( http://www.z-hat.com/HawkCartridges.htm , http://www.z-hat.com/375%20Hawk.htm ) This will allow more powder and reduce brass stretching. In 26-28†barrel at 60 000 psi this cartridge should be very close to 375 H&H. Anybody went this route? Regards, Onty.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Didn't Elmer Keith do this in the late 60s or 70s? Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe 60,000 PSI is too high pressure for a DR.

I believe some one who posts here has a Searcy

chambered with .375 bore and using the 9.3x74R

brass. I believe it was called a 9.5x74R.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip about 9.5x74, it did the trick, here is the link; http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64141&sid...efc5a8d5e9347fdd96ac . As for 60,000 PSI, well, according to Accurate Arms http://www.accuratearms.com/reloading.htm new 375 Remington Ultra Magnum goes even higher. Nevertheless, I agree that bit less like 55,000 might be bit better in hot condition and looks like that effectiveness in real life wouldn’t be affected at all (see https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/837104486 ) . As for the Keith version, I know of 338x74. Apparently, it was ballistic twin of 338 Winchester Magnum.

BTW, what would be the cost of 9.3 or 9.5x74 built by Proctor, without too fancy decorations and engraving, just nice solid double. Would he build something like (my apology for eventual insult to our British friends) 8x65R but something light so 50+ shoulders wouldn't hang low too much, especially few decades later.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trevor Proctor builds to a self imposed standard, so you'd need to call

and ask him about particulars and see where you might find yourself price

wise. He operates in the British Pound for currency. Right this second

that means close to two U.S. dollars per one Brit. Pound. I'd be dead amazed

if you could get a double in any caliber for under $35,000 U.S. TODAY,

06/10/07, even if you paid the full amount up front. There are ONE THOUSAND

man hours
plus engraving time in these doubles. If you want a .375 caliber

think VERY hard about one of the two H&H designs. The man built a D/R for

himself in .375 H&H Mag BELTED/RIMLESS! He obviously has decided that it will
eject reliably. I shot that rifle and ejection was perfect and strong. thumb

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Didn't Elmer Keith do this in the late 60s or 70s? Packy

If memory serves, and it probably doesn't, Butch got talked into building an O/U Ruger Red Lable into a double rifle for one of the gun writers, but I don't think it was Elmer. The rifle in question was made for the 9.3X74R case necked up to .375 with the case blown out some to form a little shoulder. I also believe the cartridge was called the 9.5X74R!

The cartridge makes sence, because as the origenal post thinks, it would be legal in almost all countries for the big five. However, I don't think the killing power would be different from a 9.3X74r double! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dave davison was in on the 9,5 x 74r at its conception. first rifles were built by lysle deakins from erie, pa ages ago - pre searcy.

dave notes that anyone with a dremel tool can renumber the 9,3 case to read 9,5 (375) so it makes it easier to import into countries that require 375 minimums.

sane loads work xcellent in these conversions. those looking for very high pressures best to stay with bolt rifles.

many builders can make the 9,3 x 75r.

a good basis to start with is a bss browning like searcy used before making his own action.

a smith who knows his business can build this rifle for $5k plus the bss or less.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote