THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    * UPDATED INFO FROM GREENER * . . W.W. Greener 450 - 3-1/4" bpe double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

* UPDATED INFO FROM GREENER * . . W.W. Greener 450 - 3-1/4" bpe double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Hello all,

You may recall my post from last April about my finding a Wm Evans 500bpe Double Rifle at a local gun show.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...991021332#8991021332
The Wisconsin Gun Collectors Show in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is one of the finest here in the upper Central States. It has over 550 tables and they hold 3 shows per year. However, its very unusual to find any double rifles for sale there. I've only seen 5 double rifles for sale at the show in the last 35 years.

Since my Wm Evans purchase last Spring, I always check back with that same dealer to see if he has any other double rifles for sale. And, lo-and-behold, this year he did.

I carefully examined the Rifle and its case, and asked about price. (I paid about 1/3 retail for that Wm Evans last year) He told me "same as the one last year." I pointed out that Evans was in better overall condition than this Greener ..., and he pointed out ..., "this one comes with an England made Oil Bottle, 50 pieces of brass, reloading dies, and....... 10 boxes of Kynoch Factory Ammo."
clap It followed me home.

Here are the specs.

W.W.Greener - SERIAL NUMBER 11169 - most markings have been worn or polished away from numerous re-blackening / refinishing / restoring.

Tight on face - Good bores - no cracks or chips in the wood - overall non-abused condition
Case color receiver (redone)
Under-lever
450 - 3-1/4" bpe caliber
28" Barrels
1 standing rear Sight
bead front Sight
9# 15 oz
14-1/8" LOP
Fences
Non-Rebounding Hammers
Red Silver's Butt Pad
Captive Wedge Forend Release
Both Locks marked "W.W.Greener"
Bottom of Barrels = "52" "11169" "elephant tragemark" "? Crown" "? Crown" (details worn away)

Although well used over many years, it remains very tight on face.

I'm guessing the age as the 1870's based on the non-rebounding hammers. I've already sent over 40 pictures to Greener to see if they have any History on the Gun.

"W.R.M. WYNNE ESQ're" - "PENIARTH, MACHYNLLETH" is embossed on the case cover so I searched his name on the internet. I found him listed on Wikipedia. - a fragment of a paper label on bottom of the case reads: "(C)AMBRIAN RAILWAYS".

If it stops raining today, I'll take it to the range for a test run. I haven't decided if I'll shoot some of the Factory Ammo, or sell it to recover 1/4th of my purchase price. Wink

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2142 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A great find made even better by the history.
Congratulations.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those peninsular locks. Buckstix, are the colors on the action more muted than those on the lock-plates and hammers or is it the light in the photograph? Good score.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
A great find made even better by the history.
Congratulations.
Cal

Hello Cal,

Thanks for the reply.

I think sometimes I like the History more than the gun itself. Now to see if I can find some hunting stories about Mr. Waynne.

quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Love those peninsular locks. Buckstix, are the colors on the action more muted than those on the lock-plates and hammers or is it the light in the photograph? Good score.

Hello Ditch44,

Thanks for the reply.

The action and locks were coated with clear lacquer. It looks like the lacquer has worn away on the bottom and sides of the action from carrying so it doesn't shine and look as bright as the locks. I might fix that.

Posts: 2142 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks more aesthetically pleasing in the muted colors of the action but that is my taste. Do you have a load for it yet?

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Dutch44,

Thanks for the reply.

You might be right about the colors looking better in the muted state. Bright and shiny makes it look obviously restored.

I have a 450bpe load that I worked up for my Alex Henry Single Shot.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...531083642#6531083642
I'll try that load first to see how it works in this double.

I also have a 450bpe short load that I worked up for my Miller & Van Greiss Martini Action Double rifle.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...001010142#1001010142
That load uses Hornady 325g "flex-tip" bullets. I'll try that load also.

I also received a reply from Graham Greener as to the History of this rifle. Here's what he said: