THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Rare Unusual Hammer Double Rifle w/ "Double" Tip-Block Action by Miller & Val. Greiss
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rare Unusual Hammer Double Rifle w/ "Double" Tip-Block Action by Miller & Val. Greiss
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Hello All,

I just acquired this Most Unusual Double Rifle at the Rock Island Auction. This is absolutely a strange bird. Miller and Val. Greiss is a well known German maker of some very fine and elaborate rifles and shotguns, but I've never before seen a "Martini Style" action with this type of external hammer, let-alone in a "double" Martini configuration with "double" hammers. Except, there was a similar rifle by the same maker, with the same provenance, and the same action, that appeared in Rock Island's Dec. 3, 2017 Auction. It sold for considerable more than this one, and I soon dropped out of the bidding on that one. However, I think that Sunday's blizzard really cut-down on the auction bidders, because I was successful getting this one for about "half" of the price that the one sold for last December.

Weight is 8-1/4 pounds with a LOP of 13-5/8". I'm guessing the short raised dovetail platform was for some type of scope mounting. I'll be looking for that.

There are no markings on the rifle except as described in the Auction description, and as I've shown below. Although the auction listed the caliber as 450 Short BPE, I could not find a cartridge with this name. However, a chamber cast matches "exactly" a cartridge called the "45 New South Wales." (dies from C-4 are on the way) The chamber cast also showed 4-groove Henry Henry Rifling. In addition, the bores are absolutely MINT and Mirror bright. The 450 Short BPE cases are easily formed from 450-400 shortened to 2.5" and opened to 45 caliber. The last picture shows the 450 Short BPE cartridge along-side a 45/70 cartridge for comparison. The case capacity of the 450 Short BPE is actually 5% more than that of a 45/90 Winchester case.

Note the tiny screw tucked under the cheek-piece. (see picture 9) I removed it, and it does nothing except plug-into a neatly drilled hole. Could this be some kind of game counter?

The only markings: on the bottom of the right barrel are the last 4 digits of the serial number - and a number 7 on the bottom barrel rib. A "Crown V" appears on both barrels.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2138 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Now that is one hell of an interesting double rifle! How cool is that!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Yes very cool & unusual, with a scope mount no less, like a Jet Engine strapped to a Biplane !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Now that is one hell of an interesting double rifle! How cool is that!
Cal

Hello Cal,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is the "most interesting" double rifle I've ever seen. Even more cool than my Fredrich Stendabach 8mm.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
Yes very cool & unusual, with a scope mount no less, like a Jet Engine strapped to a Biplane !

Hello Sarg,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking the scope mount is from pre-WWI. I've seen similar ones on antique bolt guns, but never a double rifle. I'll be searching the German internet for a scope and mount to fit.

Posts: 2138 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
That rifle is awesome!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Slider,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is my first test target. I used 2 different aiming points. Dead center hold and 6 o'clock hold. Although this is only the beginning of my load testing, things look very promising. I'll try some heavier bullets next time, to see if they un-cross.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an interesting double rifle. Enjoy the adventure of getting the old girl up and running. I am envious. Have fun

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildmansix:
What an interesting double rifle. Enjoy the adventure of getting the old girl up and running. I am envious. Have fun

Hello wildmansix,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I do have the "old girl" up and running. Here's my latest shooting results. I might do a little more tweaking because the barrels are still crossing. But with the way its grouping, I'm more than pleased. And, its relatively flat shooting out to 150 yds. At that range it still has over 800 ft/lbs of energy. That's plenty enough for anything here in Wisconsin. Also, the pressures at this load level are mild with fired cases dropping easily back into the chambers. This allows for neck sizing only which will result in long case life.

And ...... Here's an update 4/28/18

I tried some Hornady 45 cal Flex-Tip bullets today. They weigh 325 grains, which is very close to the weight of one of the original bullets for the 11.6x65R, which weighed 20.9 grams. ( = 323 grains )

And what a welcome surprise! Not only did they "un-cross" but they grouped better than any other bullets tested. Also, because of the "point" as opposed to a flat nose, the bullet has a higher ballistic coefficient. This results in the ft/lbs energy increasing by about 150 ft/lbs over the entire 150 yard range.

I'm done! This will be my "best load" for this rifle from now on. It took 92 shots to come to this final grouping.

I just had a friend email me to say I should have quit after the first 2 shots, or at least I should have taken a picture of that first pair. They were 1/2" apart. Well, OK, I did take a picture.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic! With such great results from moving up to 1,450 fps, are you going to try 1,500?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
That's fantastic! With such great results from moving up to 1,450 fps, are you going to try 1,500?

Hello Fjold,

Thanks for the reply.

As the target above shows, I'm at 1480 fps. That's good enough.

I actually went as high as 1680 fps with 300g HP bullets, but they were crossing by 2-1/2" at 50 yards. All 3 other bullets tested, 300g, 350g, and 400g, were crossing at 50 yards. Only the 325g Flex-Tips were un-crossed.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Here are a couple pictures of the locks on this double rifle. The reason I removed them, is that today while shooting I had the rifle "double" on me. When I fired the right barrel, BOTH barrels fired. This happened on the 4th pair. WOW ! !

Normally the recoil from shooting this 8-1/4 pound rifle with a 325g bullet traveling 1560 fps, is about 17.7 ft/lbs. That's not bad from an 8-1/4 pound rifle. However, when it "doubled", the recoil spiked to 71 ft/lbs. This is the first time this has happened in over 100 shots, but 71 ft/lbs of recoil really hurts from an 8-1/4 pound rifle.

This is why I removed the locks. I thoroughly cleaned and oiled them, and tightened a few loose screws. I'm hoping that this won't happen again.