New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decisions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did not connect the dots when caller ID showed "US Borax" last night. Line was not brilliant and had to ask twice before recognizing the name Butch Searcy.

Absolutely tickled pink to hear him say I'd won the raffle and that we'd talk today to sort out the options. I'm leaning toward asking Butch if intercepting sears can be added, and for barrels in .375 H&H flanged and, maybe, an extra set of barrels in, say, 7x65R. Iron sights on the .375 barrels with a top lever peep and claw mounts on any smaller caliber barrels. You all are welcome to chime in on this.

Delighted to join with fellow board members to support this cause.

Thank you, Butch, for your generosity in backing your daughter's sports efforts. Mighty glad I won.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!! you are in trouble now. These doubles are addictive!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulatins Tim!!

I wondered if it was you after Butch indicated the winner lived in DC.

I am happy for you and look forwardto seeing the finished rifle. Butch sure sets a high bar.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Tim!
Welcome to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Tim! beer

Now you are a complete rifleman so welcome to DRSS, and Roscoe is right, this is simply the preview of coming attractions! Those are beautiful rifles, and I'f I'd won it the 375 flanged was my choice as well, and like you I wanted to pay the extra and add the talley scope rings and bases!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the rifle, and the first blood when you get it!

........... tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim has LOTS of experience with doubles. This one certainly isn't his first, but that only indicates he is indeed a fortunate man.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, congrats.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, for the upgrade cost of the intercepters I can build you a back action sidelock. Which would be a much better upgrade and comes with intercepters anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Upgrade to the rising bite and have butch duplicate a pre-war in every detail, he can do it.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Great choice of calibres!! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHEERS, Mr. Carney and congratulations,
I know that rifle will serve You well, great choice in calibers.
Things like this are a wonderful cause and made possible by men of talent like Mr. Searcy, glad to have had the opportunity to participate, and good luck girls.
JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Butch and I have talked. I'll be visiting Boron, CA at the end of this month.

Have decided to upgrade to his back action sidelock. (The rising bite would require a second mortgage...). He convinced me to go for a full left-handed treatment. Am now thinking about barrel length, velocity for regulation, which will probably be new Kynoch 300 gr. @ 2405.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, show Tim that 577 underlever you sent me a photo of....that'll really get him spinning!!!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations indeed!!!! Wonderful to be able to upgrade.

JHC ... Butch that is a BEAUTIFUL rifle! <sigh>

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Tim on winning the Butch Searcy DR!

beer

Butch: keep up the beautiful work-- and thanks for this opportunity.

Godspeed to your granddaughter and the other Boron, CA youth!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hey Tim,

Congratulations on winning.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike.

I'll aim to close this thread out with the news that I trekked to Boron, CA yesterday to meet Butch and complete discussion on the double.

We had a fine (and in his case, healthy) lunch at Domingo's.

Checked for fit. Picked out a blank. Cheek piece, cast on, and triggers set up for the left hand except the top lever (it's easier to push that top lever right with your left thumb and that's what I'm used to doing).

Upgraded to the sidelock. 24-inch barrels. Color-cased action with standard engraving. Searcy name in silver rather than gold. Added Talley installation and rings. Put a peep on the end of the rib. Extra set of strikers and front bead to fit into a hollow grip cap. Plain dark brown Pachmayr recoil pad.

Will post pix once Butch and his lads/lasses deliver it, hopefully by mid-year 2011 so I can take it to Namibia for next year's hunt.

First rate operation chez Butch. Magic to see it working.

Regards, Tim

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the win & your choice. I cannot wait to see the results.

I am no expert ....will silver tarnish? Won't platinum give a similar effect without tarnish?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got back from the bird hunting in California that included a visit to Butch in Boron. The rising bite double that I'd held was on my mind so I went to Butch's web site (www.searcyent.com) to admire the photos and detail.

Noted that Butch has a temporary and very special price (!) for the rising bite model, and called him to upgrade to a sidelock that has the rising bite.

Butch promised to take photos during the building and I'll be posting some.

Best of the Season, Tim