THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Am I the only one 9.3 impaired?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I the only one 9.3 impaired?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted
Although I've been loading a couple of dozen calibers for 30 something years, taking on the 9.3x74R has me a bit flustered.

I'm losing about 30%-40% out of every batch of brass to crumpling cases while bullet seating.

The only thing that seems to help, and not by a whole lot, is to really severely chamfer the inside of the case neck just before charging and bullet seating.

I'm (trying to) load 286 Nosler partitions. The identical problem occurs with both Norma and RWS brass.

Anybody out there have the key to the secret lock?

Is there a good 286 gr boattail I haven't found?

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's bizarre. I've never loaded the 286 Nosler, but I've loaded quite a variety of 9.3 bullets in RWS cases. I never use an expander ball and have never collapsed a single case neck when seating a bullet. That just doesn't happen unless the bullet is oversize or the dies are defective. Have you miked the bullet to be sure its .366"?

This sounds like a die problem to me. What brand are you using. Are they CH?
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Get a tapered .375 expander plug, and put this on a handle. Use this to VERY slightly bell your case mouths... just press it down, "wallow" your hand around, and put an ever so slight bell around the neck. The neck on the seater will close this back up with you crimp

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that the cases must be trimmed to an even length, and slightly belled before loading. Helps to use a little lube on the inside of the case mouths,

All of that reduces entry pressure and assures that there is a consistend crimp without over stressing the longer cases.

No problems when I do those things.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or as a last resort you can always seat the bullet upside down and call it a wadcutter - sorry - its just one of them days killpc

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Actually I used to have a .38 Colt that just LOVED upside-down hollow base wadcutters.

Now THAT'S a hollow point.

Thanks for the expander bell idea.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
400- They're brand new RCBS dies.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could run your seater die up and your seater stem down and do a two part seat and crimp. First get your cartridge to the overall length you want, back the seater stem out and then start working the die down to crimp mode a little at a time. Takes time but works in these type of cases.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking something similar, in that you're seating and crimping at the same time, with the result being that the crimping has started while the seater is still pushing the bullet down, .......so the bullet, now locked in place, still has down pressure from the seater, and the result is brass starting to fold beneath the bullet.
Try backing your die out and lowering the seater, resulting in a seated bullet, .......any brass folding? If not, then try crimping as a separate function, ....this may get rid of the folding.
I've seen this happen before, even on .375H&H.

~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check die adjustment.

I've loaded about 400 rounds (mostly RWS a few Norma) with 286 Partitions. Have also loaded a number of North Fork solids, Hawks and TSX. No problems using RCBS dies.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
Although I've been loading a couple of dozen calibers for 30 something years, taking on the 9.3x74R has me a bit flustered.

I'm losing about 30%-40% out of every batch of brass to crumpling cases while bullet seating.

The only thing that seems to help, and not by a whole lot, is to really severely chamfer the inside of the case neck just before charging and bullet seating.

I'm (trying to) load 286 Nosler partitions. The identical problem occurs with both Norma and RWS brass.

Anybody out there have the key to the secret lock?

Is there a good 286 gr boattail I haven't found?

Do you seat and crimp in 2 separate operations? If not, start now.

Do you bell the case mouths? That might be a good idea.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/OUOTE]
Do you seat and crimp in 2 separate operations? If not, start now.

I always buy an extra seating die so that the seat and crimp are two operations. I have loaded 9.3 Norma brass with the swift 300grain bullets, with RCBS dies-no problem.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your problem may be your full length seating die reducng the neck diameter to a too small diameter. Do you full lrngth size new brass? If so try loading a couple of rounds with out full length sizing. If you don't have a problem, send the die back to RCBS.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, if the dies are the correct dimensions, there is no need to bell the case mouth prior to seating. In forty years of loading centerfire rifle, I've never done so, nor have I ever encountered the need to. For sure, there is no need to crimp with this cartridge. The dies are defective. Send them back.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote