New
Find
Notify
Tools

H4350 in 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have experience using H4350 with 570gr CEB BBW 13 solids in their 500NE?
Thanks

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM with some load data that has worked well in my 500 NE 3" Krieghoff.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
While the 4350's are a traditional powder for the .500 NE...most recent testing especially with CEB's & NF's reveals R-15 to be the better choice. 97 gr of R-15 being max...start at 93gr and work up.

When I tried the various 4350's in my .500 they were always subpar to R-15.

FWIW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second ledvm's findings. My loads in IMR 4350 did not regulate as well as RL 15 and were shooting to a different point of aim. I found 95 grains of RL 15 with backer-rod filler perfect for my double. Hornady factory also gave 1 inch goups at 50 yards but they were 1 1/2 higher than the RL 15 rounds.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane...yes, I had followed Michael and Sam's work using RL15 and I had tried to get my Heym to regulate but with no success...tight barrel clusters with horizontal spreads of 3.5-4.0" using 93-97 gr.
That's why I'm looking at H4350.

An interesting finding...the rifle regulates well with factory DGS loads, and that powder appears to be a bulk H4350 at 104 gr. Velocity at 2120 fps.
Thanks

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Everybody holds guns differently and some loads may shoot great and some may not. A load with WW760 that shot great for Michael spread for me about the same as your loads are doing. I had to switch powders to get it to shoot for me. Michael holds a gun like a gorilla and I shoot one relaxed. I had to reduce recoil to bring barrels together. Velocities were pretty close with both loads. Now if you have a load like the Hornady that regulates you are right in trying to match that load. In my 500 the Hornady factory loads were only going 1991 fps. Your barrel may be tighter thus giving you higher pressures and velocity. Different bullet may have more or less velocity and recoil. Just because the barrels are apart doesn't mean you still have to speed them up. Try your H4350 and see what happens or try some of the other powders Michael and I used in the 500 New Exploration. All that data is on the B&M site.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

I do have data from my .500 with H 4350. As soon as I get to my shop again...I'll post it for you.

I would also try the WW760 as it did well for Michael .458.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane...looking forward to your data.
Thanks

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

You should be able to use any IMR4350 data to get started.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
With CEB 570 gr solids seated crimped just under the top band, Jameson Brass, and Fed 215 primers...I found 106 gr of H-4350 was probably max for my rifle and probably the best load with the powder although it did not regulate well...and kicked much sharper than R-15 as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam and Lane.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA