New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 3" vs 3.25"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lets assume we have two DRs that are exactly the same (price,fit,finish)...both are 450/400s.

One is in 3", other in 3.25"...

Which do you choose and why?

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3" in every way. Availability of Components and ammo for the 3" much easier to attain. Ballistics for both are basically the same.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
As stated above ballistics are the same.

Powder, primers, and bullets (depending on bore diameter) are also the same. I lucked out with mine, it shoots .410 bullets.

I have easily found brass, shellholders, and dies for my 3 1/4".

With Hornady loading the 3" components can be easier to find, but do not shy away from the 3 1/4" if the right deal presents itself.

Plus the 3 1/4" rounds looks cool.

All things in the rifle equal maybe the 3"

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
3" in every way. Availability of Components and ammo for the 3" much easier to attain. Ballistics for both are basically the same.

Absolutely! There is one other reason if buying an older classic. Many of the rifles chambered for 450/400 3 1/4" were black powder, or nitro for black powder rifles, re-proofed for cordite! So you have to be careful what you buy, and make sure it was origenally a cordite rifle.
The 450/400NE 3" was never available for black powder, so any rifle you buy chambered for the 3" version is automaticlly a cordite rifle!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the 3" but not for the reason's of availability of components.

Brass has been available for the 3 1/4" version just as much as the 3"
and the 3 1/4"can be made from 450 Basic brass which was more easily obtained early on.

Now of course with hornady, it's a different matter.

Bullets are the same and always available so that is not really an issue.

I'd get the 3" because IMHO reloading is easier, less prone to ripping the rim off and IMHO being a slightly shorter case is easier to reload and handle in the field.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As stated above the 3 inch. Rim is thicker.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This poses an interesting ballistics question.

Is the 3" likely to shoot smaller spreads because it would be less dependent on a filler wad for a given powder charge? Loading density percentage would be greater.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I think their case capacities are almost identical. I'll measure a few empties filled with water in a bit to see for sure, but the body of the 3" case is much longer than on the long necked 3.25".

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my measurements of a single unfired HDS 3" case and an unfired Bertram shows the 3.25" case to be 2.3% larger to the base of the bullet.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Is the 3" likely to shoot smaller spreads because it would be less dependent on a filler wad for a given powder charge? Loading density percentage would be greater.

Rich
DRSS

Use a powder that fills the case and you don't need a wad in the 3 1/4".

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich
DRSS

Is it not generally concluded that wads make for more consistent velocities? The down side is they produce higher pressures.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting question. The 3" has the ease of factory ammo and maybe easier to get components so would be my pick in a new gun.

In a vintage gun there are other items to consider with the 450/400. I'd prefer one with 26" barrels and prooved for 60 cordite as I'm likely to get another 100 - 150 fps at the regulation speed vs. a 55 cordite gun and 24" barrels.

If both vintage guns were the same in all regard the 3" gets picked but not by much. The good news is it's a hypothetical question and in reality there will be differences in the vintage guns so I'd let the gun decide.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bullets are the same and always available so that is not really an issue.

Not necessarily true. My Osbourne was .408 most others are .411. Now with Hornady there are far more choices for .411.

I have used both the 3.25 and the 3 and found the 3inch easier to reload using the RC. that extra bit of length and increase need of press stroke was an issue. The 3.25 would also need additional filler using similar powders.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote