Find
Notify
Tools

.470 NE vs. 450/400 3"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
For those familiar with both calibers, how would you stack up the pros and cons of each? I have a Heym M88 in .470 NE and but for middle-fingeritis from the trigger guard I really like it, but there is certainly a lot of chatter about the .450/400.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MJ
Try gripping the rifle hard and not relaxing your grip till after the recoil. Also there are rubber and leather "rings" that you can put on the trigger guard that should help.

The 450/400 is a great round for DG. It has a bit less recoil than the 450/475 class of cartridges.

The 470 is the present day most popular Ntro Express.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Mike - For the quality of gun you own, I can't think of a similar - priced gun that could replace it in 450/400.

If the trigger guard hitting your finger is that bad, then try a $20 rubber bumper from Galazns.

PS - let me know if you ever want to sell it!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have one on order. Also have bought Finger EEZ ring-type pad. I love the .470, I was just trying to come up with some good reasons to get another caliber too. Smiler

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike, Mike, Mike. . . .

Please write on the blackboard 100 times. . .
I never need a good reason to buy another double rifle

Whew, that was close!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No worries, I understand that -- it is She Who Must Be Obeyed that just doesn't seem to get it. Although I have to say that I have pretty much reached that blissful state where I have enough toys already that she is incapable of discerning when another toy is added to the chest.

"Is that a new rifle?"

"Absolutely not, I have had this rifle for ages, I just rarely get it out to shoot it."

Roll Eyes

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finger eze solved all my signal finger bashing problems with .470. Also After I got the finger bashed a few times i figured out how to grip the rifle to prevent it.

As far as .470 VS .450/400... Cool

Ah if all of lifes problems could be so succulent.

The comparison on my mind is Cindy Crawford Vs Penelope Cruz.

I say wring one out then grab the other and give her a spin. keep or discard or retain both one or the other. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
A shame that the fat .470 became the popular big double rifle cartridge instead of the .450 Nitro which permits a slenderer rifle. I understand why this happened circa 1900 when the Brits banned .45 in India, but that was water over the dam when the current revival of double rifles began. One reason the .450-400 is so nice is that it begins with the .450 Nitro case. Heck, a .470 is as thick across the breeches as a .500.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth I find the 400 to be sooo much easier to shoot. My limited experience with the 470 is that it is not fun to shoot at all. The 400 really is quite fun. You know that you ave shot a rifle but it will not hurt you .

The best of all worlds is to have both.
ES.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
A shame that the fat .470 became the popular big double rifle cartridge instead of the .450 Nitro which permits a slenderer rifle. ...

Just a question of the users' desire in weight...

470 NE at 1850 with cast bullets is a hoot
2150 is strong recoil

Jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
Just bumping this thread, as I also have a .470NE that I love to shoot, but I have seen so much chatter about the 450/400 that has me really interested.

I know this is an old thread and I may not be using the search function as well as I should, but is there any more info about the differences?

Thanks guys, I have really loved this site since I found it.

DRSS

Posts: 37 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think the .470 is more versatile. A .450/.400 is marginal for elephant whereas a .470 will be fine. The only areas where I think a .450/.400 get the nod are weight (rifles will be a tad lighter) and recoil (but the edge in stopping power will go to the .470).

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I just used the search function a little more and found a WEALTH of info... looks like there has been some pretty good debate here in the past!

Like I said I love my 470 double, and thats what has me interested in the smaller calibers.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I own a .470NE double (Searcy) and two doubles in 450/400 3" (Searcy and V-C). I love all 3 rifles, but there are some differences worth mentioning. First of all, in the recoil area, the .470 really thumps. By contrast, I could shoot either 450/400 all day. This makes no difference when hunting because you would never have to shoot a double "all day" - but if you wanted to shoot more than 10 rounds or so at the range, you will find the 450/400 much more comfortable. The smaller rifle is a bit lighter, and that is a plus when walking all day. I have shot 3 cape buffalo with my .470 and one with my Searcy 450/400. Peformance was similar with both rifles in taking the buffalo - the softs stayed in the animals and the solids exited. I have shot only one elephant, that being a tuskless this past year, and I shot it with my Searcy 450/400 and Barnes banded solids. I missed the brain on the first shot and had to put in a couple of heart / lung shots to kill the animal. It went only 50 yards before expiring. I did not feel undergunned with the 450/400 in the least. So, for my money, the 450/400 is "enough gun" for tuskless and smaller animals. If I was going after a big tusker, I would reach first for the .470NE. But, for a buffalo hunt, the 450/400 is a delight to carry, and its' light recoil means I know I will never think about a flinch or banging one of my fingers or knuckles when I pull the trigger.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
A shame that the fat .470 became the popular big double rifle cartridge instead of the .450 Nitro which permits a slenderer rifle. .

Not an issue with today's modern metal and actions. I wouldn't want a smaller action than what my 470 was provided with.
The 450/400's advantage is that it is easily shot with a detachable scope. Ideal for one who prefers to go Safari with one rifle only.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
yeah, if I am understanding everybody correctly and I do not want to give up my 470 then its probably best just to own both!

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Both is a good thing! dancing

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm reading Will's second book, "Elephant and Elephant Guns." Don't let him catch you even thinking about a .450-400 in connection with the brutes!

Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
As to the issue of a slender double, the low pressure of the .450 no2 allows this brute to be built on a smaller frame. My .450 no2 Lang is more slender than my .450-400 Harrison and Hussey. As said above, recoil is far more mild in the .450-400 and is more in line with an all around rifle whereas the .470 class of cartridges are basically big game rounds but certainly be used for smaller game if the shooter can tolerate the recoil. Any double rifle cartridge, regardless of size can be used for anything due to the range limitations of an open sighted double. I think it boils down to what the shooter wants in a rifle, cartridge combination, not what the cartridge was made to do.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot both. I love the 470, but the 450-400 is, for me, the "cat's meow" when it comes to carrying and comfortable shooting. My 450-400 is deadly accurate with iron sights, the Trijicon RMR or with the Leupold 1.5X5 scope. I've shot two buffalo in the last couple of years with the 450-400, and both of them were dead with one shot. Insurance shots followed, but they were just that-insurance shots. Just my personal experience. Big Grin Here are pics of the two buffalo shot with the 450-400 in 2012 and in 2011:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do agree that the 450/400 is a much lighter weapon than the average 470 or at least it should be as I have seen one 12 1/2 lb 450/400 and it has much less recoil.

Imo, the 450/400 works just fine on buffalo. I do prefer the added thump of the 470 when it comes to stopping an elephant charge. You just can't afford to not have has much thump as possible when that happens.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
I just got back from my first safari and I took 80% of my animals with the 470double that was given to me by my dad.

It was so much fun to carry and at 11.2lbs I never felt the recoil while shooting at game... I never felt like it was too heavy either and I think I'm pretty average at 6ft 170lbs.

I guess I am just fishing for a reason to look at new guns.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
A good PH friend of mine always says a .450/.400 kills about like a .375 H&H no more no less. Where as a .470 NE at 2150 is serious medicine...not quite as good as a .500 NE but close...and with just as much recoil in my opinion and why I shoot a .500 NE.

So...a .450/.400 ~ .375 H&H for killing power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleJB:
I just got back from my first safari and I took 80% of my animals with the 470double that was given to me by my dad.

It was so much fun to carry and at 11.2lbs I never felt the recoil while shooting at game... I never felt like it was too heavy either and I think I'm pretty average at 6ft 170lbs.

6' is "pretty average"??? bewildered

Damn ... CRYBABY

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleJB:

6' is "pretty average"??? bewildered

Damn ... CRYBABY

When dad is 6' 4" and little brother is 6'7" its hard to think of yourself as tall.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
JB, No offense, sir, but saying it's fun to carry an 11.2-pound rifle around the hunting fields Africa suggests to me that you are nowhere near Social Security age, unlike some of us ...
Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I love my bolt rifles and have never quite totally warmed up to the doubles I own, but recently decided to give them one more try, with the emphasis on fun to shoot but capable of handling mostly Cape Buffalo and maybe an Elephant, so last month I ordered a .450/400 Chapuis from JJ. Now the question, should I scope it or go with the doctor optic red dot?

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Well, I love my bolt rifles and have never quite totally warmed up to the doubles I own, but recently decided to give them one more try, with the emphasis on fun to shoot but capable of handling mostly Cape Buffalo and maybe an Elephant, so last month I ordered a .450/400 Chapuis from JJ. Now the question, should I scope it or go with the doctor optic red dot?

If it's already going to be w/JJ, why not have it set up for both with QD mounts? Scope whenever you want, and follow ups or otherwise with the red dot.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tygersman,

I was giving that some thought, especially since I own a set of pivot mounts for a Chapuis already. I think I'll call JJ tomorrow and ask.
If that works out, I might just sell the other two doubles.

Charles, Tigers pleasantly surprised me Saturday night. Back in the hunt.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
JB, No offense, sir, but saying it's fun to carry an 11.2-pound rifle around the hunting fields Africa suggests to me that you are nowhere near Social Security age, unlike some of us ...
Wink

Hah! Sorry, Im still on a high from my trip. Yes it was fun because I had dreamed of Africa my whole life... hunting with a double, that I have trained with and became very confident and comfortable with, made it that much more fun.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
BENGO

Definately get your 450/400 fitted with BOTH a good scope and a Doctor Optic. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
For you guys that have 450/470 doubles, I have the answer for you. Get a second double in 9,3x74R, or 375 Flanged, with scope in quality quick detach mounts, to use as your second Safari Rifle.

I have always used my 9,3x74R as the lighter gun to a 450 No2 or a 450/400.

I have taken cape buff and elephant with the 9,3 as well, no problems.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Got a 375 H&H Flanged on order and being built by Butch. tu2 Can't wait! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If I had to, I could live, and hunt quite nicely, world wide, with three double rifles, and one combination gun!

All side by side, they would be:

#1~ combination gun with a 20 Ga shot barrel, and a 8X57mm Rimmed with facility for a quick detach scope.

#2~ a 375H&H flanged double rifle with Q/D scope mount

#3~ a 450/400NE 3 inch double rifle with Q/D scope mount

#4~ a 500NE double rifle also in my case Q/D facility for a one power illuminated scope or Doctor sight.

The reason for the scopes on all doubles in Q/D scope mounts is I suffer with Macular degeneration in my right eye, and I’m right handed so I need the one power scope so I can shoot with both eyes open for close in instinctive shooting. People with good eyes would still benefit by a Q/D scope on the combo, and the two smaller double rifles.

......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I bought a .450/.400 because that's what turned up, and it's great to shoot and seems to work. If I were going to Africa again, though, I might prefer something heavier, if only for psychological reasons: despite Pondoro's love of the calibre, it's hard to believe in a DG rifle with less felt recoil than a .338 mag.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several cape buff and seveal elephants with my 450 No2, as well as some plains game.

I have also killed a few cape buff, an elephant, and a lion, as well as some plains game, and a bear, a couple of caribou with a 450/400.

I do believe in Physics, and I know the 450's and the 470's are a little bigger hammer than the 450/400.

But, you can only kill game so dead. I did not feel under gunned when using the 450/400 as my Primary big bore.

No doubt the 450/400 is easier to shoot than a 450 or a 470.

It is also a much better allround double rifle, especially if scoped.

I think a scoped 450/400 double rifle is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet.

For a "client", only if you can take the extra recoil, and you will be hunting a lot of elephants, would a 450 or a 470 be a better choice for a double rifle than a 450/400 IMHO.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I bought a .450/.400 because that's what turned up, and it's great to shoot and seems to work. If I were going to Africa again, though, I might prefer something heavier, if only for psychological reasons: despite Pondoro's love of the calibre, it's hard to believe in a DG rifle with less felt recoil than a .338 mag.

Sam what 450/400 double rifle do you have? Being in OZ would present some trade difficulty, but I have a 470NE that has taken two elephant, three cape buffalo, and lots of wild boar, but is in absolutely new condition
It is a Merkel shoe lump barreled extractor barrel set rifle with a Kick~ease recoil pad in a Merkel factory fitted case, RCBS dies,shell holder and trim die. I also have about 100 once fired 470NE Federal nicol plated brass, for reloading.

I'm 77 yrs old and on a fixed income so will likely never again hunt Africa so the 450/400NE 3 inch would be more usefull for me and the 470NE would give you a bigger hammer. Think about it if we could make a deal and the transfer wouldn't be too much I'm open to a trade depending on what rifle you have.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 470 is a great rifle! I have used it extensively in Africa and would not trade it for any other caliber. There is a trend to produce rifles in this caliber that are too light in weight. That makes shooting them uncomfortable and will eventually cause a shooter to flinch. My Rigby weighs around 11.3 pounds and it is a pleasure to shoot. If they weight is reduced to say 10 pounds, it is uncomfortable. Westley Richards built some 500's that weighed around 10.5 pounds and they will beat you silly. They have redesigned the rifle to come in near 12 pounds and that is where they should be. Why shoot a gun that is uncomfortable to you?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Luvtoreload,
For me, Any more than 10.5lbs is uncomfortable to carry all day but I find the recoil is fine.
So Its definitely a personal thing. For me I carry the rifle more than I shoot it.
Oh, and the 470 is one of my favourites also.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I own and shoot both. I love the 470, but the 450-400 is, for me, the "cat's meow" when it comes to carrying and comfortable shooting. My 450-400 is deadly accurate with iron sights, the Trijicon RMR or with the Leupold 1.5X5 scope. I've shot two buffalo in the last couple of years with the 450-400, and both of them were dead with one shot. Insurance shots followed, but they were just that-insurance shots. Just my personal experience. Big Grin Here are pics of the two buffalo shot with the 450-400 in 2012 and in 2011:
Nice looking buff in the bottom pic.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote