THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another good guy report and the new Verney-Carron large Action 470NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another good guy report and the new Verney-Carron large Action 470NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
I have recently had dealings with Jerome of Verny-Carron and Peter Hambrusch of Hambrusch rifles of Ferlach and can say it was a pleasure to deal with these two guys. tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - Jerome is a true gentleman Smiler

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Jerome is 1st class tu2

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Here he is selling a rifle to a mate with me and the new large frame 470NE

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely.

Look forward to some photos.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oz, you are right on the money about Gerome, he is an absolute gentleman to know, and to deal with.

Likewise, it was a pleasure to finally meet you face to face, all be it briefly.

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but your rifle still hasn't got big enough barrels mate!! 500NE it will be Cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jerome is great to deal with.

How does the rifle balance with the larger action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weight of the large action ?

Morten

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
OZ,
You are absolutely correct about Jerome,he is great to deal with,how do you like the large action? have you looked at the Heym large action? if so how do they compare in your opinion?,thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .500mbogo:

It is built with the larger 600NE action and imo the balance is perfect, doesn't even need the lead added to the stock as with the lighter actions.
They did have some concerns with getting the balance right with my request but this turned out to be not a problem.
The shorter Forend worked out well also. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by .500mbogo:

It is built with the larger 600NE action and imo the balance is perfect, doesn't even need the lead added to the stock as with the lighter actions.
They did have some concerns with getting the balance right with my request but this turned out to be not a problem.
The shorter Forend worked out well also.

Sounds nice Oz, but I am interested in the weight ?

Morten

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Morten,
I have requested it to be not much more than 10.5Lbs but with the beutifully tapered barrels and no lead with in the stock it may very well be less. It did feel good in any case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice Adam, look forward to checking it out and having a shot once you get it. What barrel length ???
Where did you catch up with Jerome?? at factory or at the Big gunshot in Germany??

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the first time I've seen bbls tapered like that on a VC. Looks great.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick,
Met up with Jerome at the Melbourne SHOT SHOW.
Wanted the barrels anywhere between 24" to 25" dependent on balance. It ended up at 25".
Double BC, yes, the larger action and tapered barrels are new and are spot on tu2

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good choice on 25", OZ..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Adam, that fore-end looks awesome.

They (meaning DR makers across the board) are FINALLY listening to experienced DR shooters and getting away from that horrible beavertail club that (dis)graced so many otherwise fine weapons.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Adam, that fore-end looks awesome.

They (meaning DR makers across the board) are FINALLY listening to experienced DR shooters and getting away from that horrible beavertail club that (dis)graced so many otherwise fine weapons.

This is a trend (return to the splinter)that is way past due IMO! I don't even like a B/T fore-end on a hunting shotgun. barf

I understand it on a competition shotgun where many shots are fired in rapid succession where barrels are always HOT!

Even in the old days the slip-on burn guards were used for driven bird shoots, and competition. Then some joker decided ten pounds of wood would be a good idea on a double shotgun. Unfortunately these guys started ordering them on double rifles as well.

A double rifle is rarely fired more than four shots in a string in the hunting field, and is not even a good idea on the target range, so the splinter fore-end is the proper fore-end for a double rifle, IMO!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
So if the Beavertail was (is) such a pariah among doublegun shooters, why was it even ever offered in the first place, much less continued?...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
So if the Beavertail was (is) such a pariah among doublegun shooters, why was it even ever offered in the first place, much less continued?...

jerge, buy what ever you want, but I don't think the B/T was originally offered, but was ordered by customers who were basically only exposed to the B/T on their shotguns.

On a competition shotgun where one may put fifty or sixty shots down the barrels in a days competition, where the barrels get so hot even gloves will not help then it makes sense. Double rifles are rarely shot more than four shots in a string, so do not get hot enough to need even gloves.

You know as well as I do that the makers will give you a double rifle painted hunter orange if that is what you want and are willing to pay for it.

Of course the choice to have a beavertail fore-end on a double rifle is up to the guy who is paying for it, and I say do your thing if that is what you want, but the classic double rifle is the place for a splinter IMO!

Of course you know what they say about opinion! Everybody has one just like a certain body orifice.

.................................................................. patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Didn't say I liked them, in fact I prefer the splinter. I was just asking as to why it is offered right up front by many (not all) and your post, pretty well covered it. thanks.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jorge, I have a theory on it but can't say it's 100%.

When double rifles fell out of favor for a couple of decades, mainly due to lack of factory ammo being produced for them, most shooters, at least in the American market, who were exposed to double barreled guns became familiar with over and under shotguns, as the side by side shotgun became nearly non-existent. If you look at the fore-end on an over and under shotgun, you'll notice it's very similar to a beavertail. Being familiar with that feel and NOT familiar with the gripping of the barrels forward of the wood, when orders were finally made again, and with manufacturers making shotguns in the over and under market for years, I believe it was simply a marketing decision to put double rifles with a "common feel" into the hands of the new DR shooters.

I know when I first started looking at DR's, I didn't understand the functionality and svelteness of the splinter. It took a couple of years to grow on me. A process, or better stated as a natural progression, we see happening to many new DR shooters, even here on AR.

The splinter is a bit like a good single malt Scotch. It's somewhat of an acquired taste that has to be developed. But once one "understands" the properness, he can't go back to the sickly sweet tasting bourbon of his earlier days!! clap

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
The splinter is a bit like a good single malt Scotch. It's somewhat of an acquired taste that has to be developed. But once one "understands" the properness, he can't go back to the sickly sweet tasting bourbon of his earlier days!! clap[/QUOTE]

Amen! beer

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple large and small CV Forends;

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The fourth one from the top looks pretty damn nice.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a step forward to me. The closer they get to the look and balance of a Webley PHV1 action rifle the better.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
The fourth one from the top looks pretty damn nice.

Agreed!

tu2

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I'm so happy to say to me the third from the top was by far the nicest even though not complete tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know where you guys get your info that the small forearm stock you call splinter is English.I would think the oversize and beefy one that you dont admire is in the English style.As far as I know the nice small forearm is a characteristic of the elegant and functional German Orbendorf stock design.IMO,the old English makers are copying the Mauser design on their double rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Idiot///

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
...besides the English would only use the name beaver tail for things they liked-lol

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school and called someone beaver he threatened to beat me up.Only the tougher hoodlums were allowed to call him beaver.He was not English,BTW.
They would also call him egghead but I would not try that.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idiot///

Obvious but well stated tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Todd,
I'm so happy to say to me the third from the top was by far the nicest even though not complete tu2

That one looks good as well Adam. The one on the bottom however, at least in the photo, looks most like the Westley Richards design, which is the form I like best of all the English rifles.

Looks like you're getting another beautiful DR. I'm jealous. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I like the long water table on the bottom rifle. Also not a huge fan of bolsters. But the second from the bottom was a close second to me.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
So Mike, you don't-a like-a da moustachios?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
LOL. Yes, sorry Mario does not do it for me.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Being in the construction game, I can see the structural benefits of extra steel, particularly in change of directions tu2

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great Adam, looking forward for some more pics!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote