Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel double in 470 NE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted
A local shop has a used Merkel double in 470 NE for $8500. Assuming it is in good condition is this reasonable?

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that you are looking at a 140-2. If it is in good condition it sounds like a good deal, but not a great deal. I got my Merkel 500 NE for about $500 less earlier this year and it was new in the box.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I'll second Lee's remark. I bought my 140-2 .500 NE about two years ago for a little over $7000.00. It was an AMAZING deal when I found the rifle and bought it on the spot.

However, I think the days of finding a new DR from Merkel for that price is over. If you are seriously interested in getting the Merkel, see if you can talk the price down a few bucks. If the guy takes credit cards and you have cash, ask him what the fee is for his credit card transactions. If it is 3%, tell him you'll pay cash on the spot if he will sell it to you for a 3% discount.

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
8500? if you are serious, take a pile of c-notes in, and lay down 75 of them... bring 80 to be certain

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the accessories with the gun, I agree with Lhook7 - good but not great. Check on Gunsamerica. There are some for less listed there. There is one 470 and one 500 for less.

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Mike,
how much was your's

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PER A MONDAY 10/30 CONVERSATION WITH MERKEL THEY NO LONGER GIVE A LEATHER CASE WITH THE RIFLE.

THE "VOLUME DEALER" COST ON THE 140.2 WITH ARABESQUE ENGRAVING IS $8,000. "STANDARD " WHOLESALE PER THEIR PRICE LIST IS $9005
RETAIL ON THIS MODEL IS $10, 595

IF YOU SHOP YOU MAY FIND A "NEW OLD STOCK" AT A BETTER PRICE. THE ABOVE ARE WHAT IT TAKES TO BUY THEM FROM MERKEL TODAY.

HOW CHEAPLY WE BOUGHT THEM 6 MOS OR 2 YRS AGO IS ONLY ACADEMIC...... WHAT IT TAKES TO GET ONE TODAY IS WHAT MATTERS. GOOD SHOPPING, TOMO577

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have 2 merkel 140.2 470 so one is for sale.

new in box with $1,000 upgrade wood and sst for right bbl $9,000

fired but as new $7,800

i can't post pics but can email them to you or someone can post for me tom
crownpress@alltel.net

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clem,
If I were you I would buy the one Tomo577 has offered. That is a really good deal.

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures of Tom's rifles

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You guys are making it hard to save money for this summers hunt. I'm holding out for a 500 anyway.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
You guys are making it hard to save money for this summers hunt. I'm holding out for a 500 anyway.

I believe there is a Merkel .500 NE on Gunsamerica.com for less than $8000 right now.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I thought I may have found a decent bargain but it appears they are seeking top dollar. It was at the Gander Mt. in Kentwood, MI. The staff on duty wasn't too 'double' versed to answer my questions and I'm honestly not well versed in double rifles to know what questions to ask. I'm in the learning mode.

When laying out eight large or more for such a rifle would it be appropriate to request an inspection and test firing by a gunsmith before committing?

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
new in box with $1,000 upgrade wood and sst for right bbl $9,000

Dumb question... What's an sst? Sorry if it is obvious. I usually have a good grasp of the obvious.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not up on Merkels and would be surprised if this is so but usually SST means "Single Selective Trigger" and as he refers to it as the right barrel I would assume the right barrel will always fire first, then the left all by pulling the same "single" trigger twice. SST's are not always trouble free and I would personally not want one in a DG rifle. I may be wrong with what SST means here but this is my guess.

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
SST could also be for Single Set Trigger.

It would allow one of the triggers to have a lighter trigger pull by first pushing it forward. If you were taking your time and trying to make a very accurate and/or long shot, there may be some benefit in having this option.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
From the pictures it appears to have two triggers. Again, am I being dense? Confused bewildered Confused

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shumba:
SST could also be for Single Set Trigger.

It would allow one of the triggers to have a lighter trigger pull by first pushing it forward. If you were taking your time and trying to make a very accurate and/or long shot, there may be some benefit in having this option.

Awwww... That makes sense.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daleatkins:
Pictures of Tom's rifles

quote:
I am not up on Merkels and would be surprised if this is so but usually SST means "Single Selective Trigger" and as he refers to it as the right barrel I would assume the right barrel will always fire first, then the left all by pulling the same "single" trigger twice. SST's are not always trouble free and I would personally not want one in a DG rifle. I may be wrong with what SST means here but this is my guess.

BiGGBear, The rifle shown below is a two trigger rifle, and I think, in this cases, the SST may be an up grade with a single set trigger on the right barrle only. The Merkel 140-2 doesn't normally come with a set trigger for the right barrel, but it is an option! The merkel 140E 9.3X74R double I have, has a set trigger on the right barrel as standard equipment!

In any event, eventhough his rifle doesn't come with the fitted lugage case as both mine did, It is still a bargain at $7800 USD. The addtion of a good recoil pad, while adjusting the length of pull, will cost another $100 or so, for a final of $7900 plus shipping, and FFL handleing, and is, IMO a good buy! Regardless of the things you read, Merkels are very well made working rifles, and they shoot very well! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
It would appear that both rifles are pictured here. Which one is for sale?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sst = single set trigger . it makes a hair trigger for extremely light pull to set it off.

very handy when sorting out animals that are behind one another. you don't need to pull the trigger, you just touch it.

either rifle is available.

the one with the fancy dark $1,000 upgrade wood and the sst is $9,000 new in box with guarantee and papers

the fired but as new one is $7,800 it has some lighter color in the stock. have the box, manual & papers

hope this clarifies, tom you can call me at
814 774 5739

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for straightening me out. Too many years shooting shotguns I guess. Was I supposed to look at pictures? Now I feel smart!

York, SC