THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    LOP difference bolt vs. double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOP difference bolt vs. double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Still trying to learn what I can about doubles in case I ever decide to buy one.

It seems the LOP is generally longer. Why is that? Why would shooting a double with open sights be different than a bolt rifle without a scope as far as needing more LOP?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Assuming the stock style is the same it will be the same. Open sights require your eye/head be lower to aquire a sight pictre. So an open sighted double or bolt will have the same LOP assuming the stock style is the same. If the double or bolt have a scope the LOP will need to be shorter to allow the eye/head to sit higher to aquire the scope.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
An example:

My LOP for my open sighted double (used in warm weather with minimal clothes) is 15"
For an open sighted bolt (warm weather) 15"
For a scoped bolt for warm weather 14"
For a scoped bolt for cold weather (more clothes) 13.75"

I'm probably being anal retentive, but that's me.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
When I get back you can try some of mine out and see what you think feels best for you.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do find the LOP in a double to be longer than a bolt. You have a finite eye relief measurement on a bolt (with scope) which may be a reason to need a shorter stock, not the case with open sights however take into account what LOP is... A double will have the front trigger about 3/4 - 1" in front of the rear. A bolt rifle will typically have its single trigger placed close to where the rear trigger is on a double within the trigger guard.
The LOP may be longer to the front trigger on a double by about an inch but very close to the position of the rear trigger.
The grip on the stocks may also have something to do with the lop as typical production bolts have a pronounced pistol grip that may cause you to position your grip further forward where as most doubles have a more open grip allowing your palm some latitude back toward your shoulder.
It might be worth considering comparing the LOP to the rear trigger of a double to the bolt.
My Heym double has a 15" LOP and is perfect for me.
I agree with the above statements regarding as clothing can mandate a change in stock dimensions as well, so can eye relief on a scope.
I am pretty picky on LOP as a long eye relief scope on a bolt allows me a natural 14" LOP and a short one 13 3/4"-13 7/8". Pretty much the same as Mr. Barringer's.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people seem to be best served by a LOP about one inch longer on a double vs a bolt rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have a longer LOP because they have two triggers. My theory is you want to keep the hand pulling the triggers further away from your face so it doesnt come back and belt you.
With the two triggers, it is very important if you order a double that you specify what trigger you want the LOP to be calculated from.
If in doubt, always order it on the long side. Easy to cut down, not easy to make it longer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
My double needed about an inch longer LOP than my bolts.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most folks need about an inch longer LOP on a shotgun than a rifle as well. As you lean your head forward to meet the stock, the distance from your shoulder to your face increases. So a longer LOP is needed to keep the grip out in front of your face.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote