THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Zero (regulation)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Zero (regulation)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know at what range Searcy regulates his double rifles? For some reason I'm thinking it is 75 yards - is this correct?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He told me that he garuntees 2" R/L groups at 50yds with open sights and 2" groups at 100yds for scope equiped doubles.

If the rifle was regulated perfectly and the shooter was shooting perfectly the group will look like a figure eight laying on its side, right barrel right and left left from just in front of the muzzles to too far to shoot. The barrels won't cross at any range and they won't diverge either.

This of course is the theoretical "perfect".

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know at what range he puts the target when soldering the wedge in, but I have shot mine at 100 yards and the barrels still have not crossed.

As far as sighting in, Searcy uses a rear sight which is windage adjustable (sliding) and the front sight blades can be replaced (available from New England Custom Gun).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Butch told me that my 470 will be sighted at 1" high at 50 yards, zeroed at 75 and about 2" low at 100 yrds,

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To satisfy some fiendishments I must ask some questions about double gun development. These are usually heavy hitting items designed to provide a second stopping shot if the first doesn't do the job.

Because of that style of close range iron sight shooting with large calibers, super precision grouping with either or both barrels, is not an issue as with mid-caliber bolt guns.

Now: Double rifles here tend to be in old classic large body-crunching calibers. Some are made "smaller" which are in the .35 to .376 caliber range.

Here we become specific: In this mid-range we suggest there is not a need for heavy stopping power on a horned bulldozer, and therefore we ask, why use jackhammer rifle design which will not be used on attacking wounded game? I am aware 7mm Mauser and 6.5 swede rifles in the hands of skilled hunters can drop elephants or heavy hoofed African game animals.

If we are in the mid-caliber double design range, what we are looking at is a quick second shot minus the jack handle work, right? Most people in that caliber range would do well with a bolt or even a lever action.

I know decidedly smaller rifle calibers have been made in doubles all the way down to .22 English bests.

For a given mid-caliber when does the trade off begin for a bolt or lever versus a double on a second shot? With any game at any range when does screaming neccid speed become an issue and does it really matter? If you unexpectedly walk into a pride of hungry cats or on a monster croc you thought was a log I can see the issue.

Is there any point in having a double rifle of 7 rem mag made to shoot at decidedly longer ranges, open sighted or scoped? Exactly how far have double guns been made to shoot accurately with just one barrel, or with both used as two shots?

Pretend we are using a good accurate round in a double gun for target shooting for some reason. How far does any known double of any caliber shoot well - and I mean to competitive standards with a 7mm to .30 cal. variant? Most doubles would not be made for the barrel length or profile commonly used in single target rifles.

I'm asking these questions to identify a rationale for making a double rifle from scratch in a lesser than usual caliber. This is just another megolmaniacal delusional project which has to slip in behind a dozen others I have no time to do. I'm somewhat familiar with the double shotgun culture and recently bought a stack of modern cheapies and some older Belgians. I will be working on those but as I am otherwise a former military rifle collector I am familiar with that end of the spectrum.

I'm just wondering if this would make a worthwhile project as a one off but also if it would be attractive to anyone else.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the impression from somewhere that a double, of any calibre, was handy to get at least ONE shot off. (Probably from dodgy ammo etc.) and also even for mechanical failure.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote