New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-120 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Earlier this week I received my 45-120 NE.
This rifle started out as a Brno ZP-149 12 ga. I picked it up for a good price as the original stock on it was quite hideous. The previous owner has also converted it to extractor only.

What I did like about it was the fact that it is a sidelock, has chopper lump barrels, has cocking indicators and has a third fastener. I picked up a pair of Green Mountain barrels in .458 for a good price as well.
It has taken a while but this is the converted gun.

Some details of the work:
.458 barrels installed on the chopper lump mono block
New rib with three leaf sight and a new front site
New stock and forearm
The gun was regulated with 67.0 gr. of IMR-4895 and 350 gr bullets at just under 2000 fps.

Here is the target confirming regulation after all of the work was completed.

I'm am leaving the country next week for about a month and plan on taking better pictures when I get back in December

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Damn good shootin'.
Nice big game rifle. Congratulations.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Agree with Cal. Did you do the work? Every time I see Ellis Brown's book on my shelf, I dream of such a rifle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Eric,
Your rifle did turn out well.
Maybe you should do less travelling and more shooting and hunting. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love this rifle and great cartridge choice. I envy your talents.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Agree with Cal. Did you do the work? Every time I see Ellis Brown's book on my shelf, I dream of such a rifle.

Whomever did the work, it was definately NOT White's gunsmihting of Maine!!!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Whomever did the work, it was definately NOT White's gunsmihting of Maine!!!
Cal

I certainly agree with that! I know one eyed plumbers who could do better work than Whites so-called gunsmithing!

Very nice conversion, and in a great chambering! '''''''Congratulations! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the maker of this rifle and he is a grand rifle builder having built many conversions with great accuracy resulting. To him, it is not done until it is done.

Looking at the target, metal work and stock work my opinion is that "it is done".

The Owner was fortunate to have been able to convince the maker to make one for him.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only dream that I had the skills to attempt this conversion let alone actually do the work. My biggest contribution was selecting the rifle and the caliber.

The wood selected for the stock is a thing of beauty and it was a "plain" piece. Fit and finish of the stock is excellent as is the checkering. It fits me to a Tee. The balance point is at about the hinge joint so it handles nicely as I've been practicing with it.

I would enthusiastically concur with Transvaal that the maker is indeed a Master at his craft, both in metal and in wood. I truly am grateful with his patience towards me and his dedication to working through the challenges and obstacles he encountered while completing the conversion.

CRShelton I wish I could do as you so wisely recommend. My up and coming trip is to South Africa and it looks as though there may be a few days to get out into the field.

Cal, When I get back I plan on taking more pictures and would be pleased to send them to you for your blog. To say that this was not a Jim White gun is about as big of an understatement as can be made. While uploading these pictures as saw the "work" he did to the CZ and cringed. It was like comparing Frankenstein's monster to Venus de Milo.

Since the gun is a ZP-149 it has the bird scene on the side plates. I had no luck trying to find the ZP-49 with plain side plates or even finding the plates as parts somewhere. For the near future I plan on enjoying this gun and the fine work put into it. Hopefully taking a hog with it next year on my brother's place.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to fix an egregious error on my part. While I do enjoy my Sabatti it is only appropriate that this fine gun receives a higher billing in my signature block.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am envious of you for owning a great rifle in the long 45. I wish you a lifetime of boar, bear, elk, eland, deer with her. I am still envious of the maker's skill. His skill is obviously hard earned. By envious I mean, I am almost as happy for you as if it were mine; almost.

In short, thank you and that is a great double. Every CZ wishes it could grow up
to be.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the kind words LHeym500. I am indeed fortunate. I plan to keep this one in the family for generations to come.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I can shoot groups like that…if I tape the target to the muzzles.
Sreat shootin'
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very interesting project.
Please do post more pic's when you can, and throw a couple of loaded rounds in for good measure.

I imagine you could achieve a similar velocity with 400gr projectiles and not stress that action. I am no gunsmith however so it's probably best we don't get into that discussion.

Regards Rhodes

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think Rhodes.

I plugged the regulating load into QuickLoad. Came up with a velocity of 1999 fps with a pressure of 22-23,000 psi. Plugged in a 400gr. jacketed bullet while retaining powder load and COAL with the result that the velocity was just a bit lower and the pressure increased to 25-26,000 psi.

I've found some 350 gr bullets and will start enjoying the guns with those. All of the Speer and Remington 400/405 gr bullets are out of stock. One supplier's order records show they only get them once every 1-2 years. I did find the Prvi Partizan in 405gr. so those are now on order.

When I get back home in December I will start loading ammo in keeping with requlation. Plans are to take more and better pictures.

There has been a fair number of books on factory double rifles. I wish I had the wherewithal to create a book dedicated to conversion guns. Maybe I should start soliciting photos and specs from those who wish to share their truly unique conversion guns.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
There has been a fair number of books on factory double rifles. I wish I had the wherewithal to create a book dedicated to conversion guns. Maybe I should start soliciting photos and specs from those who wish to share their truly unique conversion guns.

Eric, do you mean something like this book?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offe...dePriceSuppression=1

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle - and I am tickled that the 45-120NE nomenclature has stuck!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRShelton

I have Ellis' book and read it early on in my journey. My thoughts were geared more towards a book which showed the finished guns. I used to go to Ellis's web page just to look at the guns he had for sale. When it comes to publishing there is legal measures which need to be met. I expect that the purchasing market would be quite limited as well.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE