New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 500 NE model 140-2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a reasonable price on a new rifle described above?

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Like these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=167126065

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
What is a reasonable price on a new rifle described above?

What? I thought you were done with the 500.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19365 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is kind of like marriage Will. I got divorced and said never again. Now I am engaged.

I think when I had the other one, something was going on with me . I was flinching at everything, even a 22. I missed mire times by far in my 06 safari than I have in the other 14 safaris combined.

I think I am going to hunt elephants and buff only for the forseeable future. The 500 is good for those .

Besides, I need to spend my money on something before Obama takes it all.lol

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, if you feel that way you should have gave me that 500. Wink

If cost is not an issue I would find a used single trigger WR. Short of that I'd opt for the Krieghoff because of the straight stock (less recoil) and safety.

Even though that safety is goofy on the Krieghoff it can keep you from getting shot by the gunbearer (everyone needs a gunbearer eventually if they hunt old enough, so no crap please!).

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19365 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I would echo Bill's comments. As between the Merkel and Krieghoff, I would get the Krieghoff. That said, if you have made up your mind and are interested in a used Merkel .500 give me a shout and I can shoot you some pictures of mine.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting advice. I am still thinking about it. I haven't decided.

I am not too worried about the gunbearer. I won't let them carry mine,ever. Right now I run 5 miles a day. I carry a 17 pound curling bar on 3 mile walks a couple of times a week. I am old but I can handle it.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Having been there before.

"Fetching" price +/-

140-2 big nitro's BLNE $7,000
BLE $8,000

140-2.1 big nitro's BLNE $8,500
BLE $9,500

Reality hurts.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Larry,

The Krieghoffs are probably the nicest in craftsmanship between Blaser, Merkel, and Krieghoff. I'd forget Blaser existed. Not my favorite. The Krieghoff cocker is a pain in the butt and quite frankly superfolus! That said I'd probably go with the Merkel. A newer Searcy or better yet a Heym might be a better option.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
The Krieghoff cocker is a pain in the ass and quite frankly superfolus!

I beg to differ. It is hardly superfluous, it is the safest way to carry a double hands down unless the double is unloaded. In terms of being a pain in the ass, I think that comes down to practice. I have used it in as close an encounter as most hunters not gored or stomped will ever have and had no difficulties reacting instinctively with it.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a better word/saying than superfluous is fixing a nonexistant problem and difficult to push in a hurry. Especially with slippery/swety fingers. I have no doubt it's only a matter of simply learning and getting use to it with practice. Never the less you would have to smoke crack to think it's every bit as easy to manuver as a conventional tang safety. Again tang safeties have been around for a LONG time and people have some how managed to stay safe, so the cocker kind of seems like fixing a non existant problem. For someone like me who grew up with a SxS shotgun I'm use to a tang safety and wouldn't want it any other way. Just like I grew up with manual safeties and I wouldn't want it any other way. I would imagine most other people would feel the same if they have a preference like I do. I figure they should know what they're getting into before they buy.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always pointing the muzzle of a rifle in a safe direction seems to work for me. Big Grin

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Now I am engaged.

Larry, good to see your engaged again have repented of such madness and getting a real DR caliber again.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never the less you would have to smoke crack to think it's every bit as easy to manuver as a conventional tang safety.

Ditto on believing that a tang safety is every bit as safe. It cannot even be reasonably debated or asserted that an cocked gun on safe is as safe or safer than an uncocked gun.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps a better word/saying than superfluous is fixing a nonexistant problem and difficult to push in a hurry. Especially with slippery/swety fingers. I have no doubt it's only a matter of simply learning and getting use to it with practice. Never the less you would have to smoke crack to think it's every bit as easy to manuver as a conventional tang safety. Again tang safeties have been around for a LONG time and people have some how managed to stay safe, so the cocker kind of seems like fixing a non existant problem. For someone like me who grew up with a SxS shotgun I'm use to a tang safety and wouldn't want it any other way. Just like I grew up with manual safeties and I wouldn't want it any other way. I would imagine most other people would feel the same if they have a preference like I do. I figure they should know what they're getting into before they buy.

Brett

Brett:

I don't mean to be flippant but I was just wondering, have you ever had a Blaser or a Krieghoff or had any experience with either? Have you ever had or shot a Merkel in a .500?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Dave Bush

+ 1 on your question.

Nitro450exp

"K-Gun owner"

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:

Brett

Brett:

I don't mean to be flippant but I was just wondering, have you ever had a Blaser or a Krieghoff or had any experience with either? Have you ever had or shot a Merkel in a .500?

You aren't being flippant that's a valid question. However someone doesn't have to owned a gun for 30 year before he can form an opinion on it. I haven't owned or shot the K guns, but I have handled them and worked the cocker. You only have to manuver the cocker once or twice to get a feel that it's harder to manuver than a conventional tang safely. I understand the safety implications of the cocker system I just don't think there was a significant problem in the first place that it fixed. The K guns are relatively nicely built for the money. Much better than the Blasers to my eye. I haven't owned a Blaser but I've shot and handled them. The lines are God aweful, the cocker is harder to manuever than a tang safety, the sights are horrible, and it doesn't handle that well (to me). I haven't owned a Merkel. I've handled a number of them and shot one. I'm not familiar with the 500 and if it's weighted propperly or any other flaw it may have. The 470s I've handled seemed nice for the money. My point isn't to kick sand in everyones face that owns one. My point is people are giving Larry advice on doubles. I don't feel people telling him to get a Blaser or K gun is good advice for these reasons. Larry is a smart guy and I don't expect him to blindly trust anything I say. I'm sure he'll do his due dilligence and make an informed oppinion of his own if he hasn't already.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen I'm as guilty as the next guy of forming a forboding opinion of the Kreighoff double rifle when it first came on the market. This was the same reason, lack of understanding the system, some still think the K-gun is a bugger-man,when it has proven not to be. If anyone thinks the K-gun is not accurate, just watch Mike Jines shoot his 500NE K-gun sometime!

The K-gun is as safe as an unloaded double rifle even when both chambers are loaded, if the de-cocker is in the safe position. The same can be said for the Blazer, but only in the same condition. The Blazer doesnt recock it's self after fireing and opening to re-charge the chambers, but must be re-cocked any time the action is opened, for any reason. DON'T forget to re-cock the blazer for shots three and four. Eeker The fact that the blazer doesn't re-cock it's self is a large difference between the K-gun, and the blazer.

The system simply releaves the spring tention on the strikers leaving the striker in the cocked position, but with nothing to drive them. On intering the final stalk you simply push the decocker lever forward till it activates the striker springs, and the rifle is ready to fire. NOW when the rifle is fired one or both barrels and the action is broken to re-load the chambers the rifle cocks it's self, and is ready to fire again one or both barrels. Most folks, me included, thought that the rifle had to be re-cocked every time the rife was opened to re-load, bu that isn't the case with the K-gun, but it "IS" with the Blazer which de-cocks it's self when opened fopr any reason, and is the rifle , IMO, that should be avoided if in a dangerous game setting.

The K-gun is a good rifle if it fits you! I simply doesn't fit me, and I like the Merkel better for that reason only.

It's a free country so buy what you like, as long as you are willing to live or die with the choise!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Larry,

The Krieghoffs are probably the nicest in craftsmanship between Blaser, Merkel, and Krieghoff. I'd forget Blaser existed. Not my favorite. The Krieghoff cocker is a pain in the ass and quite frankly superfolus! That said I'd probably go with the Merkel. A newer Searcy or better yet a Heym might be a better option.

Brett

OMG, Pigs can now fly, & Hell has frozen over.
Brett has said something I actually COMPLETELY agree with. I've got one and that damn thing can get you killed (or somebody else) ANYTHING but "K"

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
We need to compile a list of all the PHs with K-guns and boycott them as they obviously are all wreckless individuals with a death wish.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
As to the original question $8000 to $8500 seems to be a reasonable price for the Merkel depending on engraving and ejectors.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100079983

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We need to compile a list of all the PHs with K-guns

Yup! Those are the ones with brains who won't shoot you in the back! Let's get the list! Now Blasers, off course, are a whole different topic!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike70560:
We need to compile a list of all the PHs with K-guns and boycott them as they obviously are all

Mike, respectfully, it's guy like you who do not know your own limitations, and don't seem to understand the seperate rolls played by the recreational sport hunters rifle and the PROFESSIONALS role with his rifle, that gets you or somebody else hurt.

Do you have first hand experience following up wounded whatever in really thick stuff with a "K"?

If so please tell me what makes the "K" safe

Not intended to be confrontational, just couldn't make it sound any different.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Do you have first hand experience following up wounded whatever in really thick stuff with a "K"?

I do have experience with a K gun and a charging cow elephant at five paces. The cocking lever worked perfectly, the gun worked flawlessly and everyone walked away shaken but uninjured. My PH, a respected elephant hunter (okay, well maybe not respected, but an elephant hunter Smiler), worked hard on trying to get me to leave the rifle for him.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Good work. Now please honestly, when did you cock it?. It is not possible to cock the damn thing as it is brought to bear, it must either be cocked while your thumb is almost straight with you forearm extended or carried cocked. That is unless there is something wrong with mine as it requires 35# of force to cock. That being said, to agree with Brett, what the heck is wrong with a traditional tang?

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

I will give you Five-hundred American Dollars for that death trap.

Just trying to save your life, man.

regards,

Rich
Searcy User

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

What the hell are you talking about? Not knowing my limitations? Not knowing the difference in roles? You do not know me.

I own a 470 and have about 500 rounds through it. There is a problem with the K-Gun but it is not the cocking device. I have hunted with it once. Followed up a buffalo in the thick jess, took 5 shots to finish it off, PH never fired, let me handle it because I continued to shoot as needed. I also took a charge from a cow elephant that broke off the charge at less than 5 yards. If needed I was ready to fire with the K-Gun.

I did not say it was safer, although I believe it is just like Mac explained.

I do think it is ridiculous that people think it is a death trap. It may not be for everybody and that is fine, everybody has their favorite. I have an automatic safety on my Boswell. It drives me insane to shoot it. Some guys like the automatic safeties, but I am not demanding all automatic safety rifles should be destroyed.

We can be confrontational if you like, does not bother me in the least. As far as saying "respectfully" that is just asking for a pass to be disrespectful.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
As to the original question $8000 to $8500 seems to be a reasonable price for the Merkel depending on engraving and ejectors."

Mike, I thought I was going to be the only one to answer the fricken question. Wink

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
As to the original question $8000 to $8500 seems to be a reasonable price for the Merkel depending on engraving and ejectors."

Mike, I thought I was going to be the only one to answer the fricken question. Wink

Don

Where is the best place steak?
Answer: You really want pork chops. Wink
I am guilty of it too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Nganga,

What the hell are you talking about? Not knowing my limitations? Not knowing the difference in roles? You do not know me.

I own a 470 and have about 500 rounds through it. There is a problem with the K-Gun but it is not the cocking device. I have hunted with it once. Followed up a buffalo in the thick jess, took 5 shots to finish it off, PH never fired, let me handle it because I continued to shoot as needed. I also took a charge from a cow elephant that broke off the charge at less than 5 yards. If needed I was ready to fire with the K-Gun.

I do think it is ridiculous that people think it is a death trap. It may not be for everybody and that is fine, everybody has their favorite. I have an automatic safety on my Boswell. It drives me insane to shoot it. Some guys like the automatic safeties, but I am not demanding all automatic safety rifles should be destroyed.

We can be confrontational if you like, does not bother me in the least. As far as saying "respectfully" that is just asking for a pass to be disrespectful.

OK fine, I'll ask you that same question, when did you cock it?

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nganga,

OK fine, I'll ask you that same question, when did you cock it?

Nganga

I'll tell you when he cocked it, BEFORE he shouldered it. They are impossible to cock as you shoulder the weapon in the manner in which you would take the safety off on a shotgun. Worse yet, trying to do so with sweaty/slippery hands could get you killed as you fumble about trying to cock it. It is a solution to a problem that never existed.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now please honestly, when did you cock it?

When it needed to be cocked.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scary Thought: I bought my K-rifle .500NE for $6400. That WAS a while back...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
When it needed to be cocked.

+1

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll tell you when he cocked it, BEFORE he shouldered it. They are impossible to cock as you shoulder the weapon in the manner in which you would take the safety off on a shotgun. Worse yet, trying to do so with sweaty/slippery hands could get you killed as you fumble about trying to cock it. It is a solution to a problem that never existed.

I appreciate you answering for me since obviously you observed my actions.

I can cock my K-Gun with it in my shoulder. I always have known my looks are way above average, I guess my strength is above average also. Big Grin

However no matter what rifle I am shooting, if it is in my shoulder it is off of safe and ready to fire. If it is not in my shoulder it is on safe. The safety is coming off as the rifle is being raised to my shoulder. Not a very complicated concept.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
We need to compile a list of all the PHs with K-guns

Yup! Those are the ones with brains who won't shoot you in the back! Let's get the list! Now Blasers, off course, are a whole different topic!
Peter.

A PH can get away with carrying these things because they are NEVER behind a client and can carry them cocked. That, and the fact that most PHs I have met are not gun guys, a rifle to them is simply a tool. The role of a PH's rifle is completely different to the role of a tourist hunter's. Most PHs hardly even care what ammo they run through it (though most are particular about bullets they usually don't pay any attention to what the load is other than what bullet is in the case), and I've yet to see one who gave 2 shits about DR regulation. The fact that some PHs carry K guns is not exactly a glowing endorsement in my mind. I know of one DG PH who routinely carries a .458 Lott with a broken stock that he admits could come apart at any time, but I doubt that anyone is going to argue the merits of the hunting of DG with rifles with cracked stocks.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I cannot cock mine that way, neither can any of my friends or PH's I hunted with. I agree without exception your theory, safe unless on the shoulder. Hence, why I believe it is an unsafe device.

So in reality we are in complete agreement?

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know of one DG PH who routinely carries a .458 Lott with a broken stock that he admits could come apart at any time, but I doubt that anyone is going to argue the merits of hunting DG with rifles with cracked stocks.

We will add him to the list.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I appreciate you answering for me since obviously you observed my actions.

I can cock my K-Gun with it in my shoulder. I always have known my looks are way above average, I guess my strength is above average also. Big Grin

However no matter what rifle I am shooting, if it is in my shoulder it is off of safe and ready to fire. If it is not in my shoulder it is on safe. The safety is coming off as the rifle is being raised to my shoulder. Not a very complicated concept.

Actually, I have observed your actions.

This video that you posted previously over on the African Hunting Forum seems to contradict what you just posted above. Obviously you are mistaken as your cocking of the rifle before you ever shoulder it is plainly visible.

http://s135.photobucket.com/al...70Nitro200-09-19.flv

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
This is almost too funny. Read what I wrote.

The safety is coming off as the rifle is being raised to my shoulder.

Which is what happened in the video.

Pretty good reload for an extractor gun if I do say so myself. I even hit the bulleye all 4 shots, it is certainly not what I did at the Hoot and Shoot. I was star struck in the presence of MJines and bwanamrm I guess.

Shoot what you like. I have said the K-Gun is not for everybody. Mike Jines is one of the most respected hunters on this forum and is comfortable using it. That speaks volumes. Ganyana uses one. That also speaks volumes. There are others that I respect who do not like it, each to his own.

I can video me pushing it forward with the rifle in my shoulder if you like.