Tools

Merkel 500 NE model 140-2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
This is almost too funny. Read what I wrote.

The safety is coming off as the rifle is being raised to my shoulder.

Which is what happened in the video.

You cock the gun before you ever begin to shoulder it, your video speaks for itself. Sometimes it's best to just stop digging. rotflmo

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Well at least were both Lefties eh? I cant tell in the video, is your cheekpiece on the correct side?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Cheekpiece is left hand, triggers nad barrels are set up like a right hand gun. No big deal it is what I learned on.

Nganga,

That is one hell of a nice trophy room in the other thread.

Cane rat,

Splitting hairs, at 12 seconds in the video I push the safety as I am coming up with the rifle, should not even have responded, but could not help myself.

Hijack of thread is now complete, Larryshores would not pay a ransom, signing off.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Thats the same as mine. And thank you for the kind words on the trophy room, Its been a lifetime's adventures.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised at how much debate a simple question genrated. Let me ask another. What other doubles would generate less recoil than a Merkel?

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any others?

I had a Heym. It whacked me pretty good.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I wouldnt want anyone to hunt with an unsafe weapon and take a chance of getting hurt I will take thses unsafe weapons off your hands. I will even be so kind as to split your loss with you and give you 50 cents on the dollar. That way we equally share the value loss. Big Grin

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Since I wouldnt want anyone to hunt with an unsafe weapon and take a chance of getting hurt I will take thses unsafe weapons off your hands. I will even be so kind as to split your loss with you and give you 50 cents on the dollar. That way we equally share the value loss. Big Grin

I'm married, I like pain, I will hold on to mine. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I was quite impressed with my mates Merkel 470 the other week.
Might have to get another one?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

Actually, I have observed your actions.

This video that you posted previously over on the African Hunting Forum seems to contradict what you just posted above. Obviously you are mistaken as your cocking of the rifle before you ever shoulder it is plainly visible.

http://s135.photobucket.com/al...70Nitro200-09-19.flv

Cane Rat I don't think the film contradicts what Mike said at all! The forst two shots the rifle IS cocked before he takes it to his shoulder. Here he has his eyes on the target and cocks the rifle bofore he mounts the rifle as most would do after just loading the rifle that will soon be timed for a re-loading for shots three and four. After the reload the rifle is already cocked so no need for a re-cock on the way to the shoulder just as Mike claims.

Even with regular safeties This is the way I cock a double rifle. Once the target is found, and it is decided to be taken I too cock the rifle before shouldering, and on shots three and four there is no need to cock the rifle again, because just like the regular manual safety, the K-gun is already in the fire position, for all subsiquent shots.

I simply don't see the problem here. I do however see a problem with the Blaser, because it must be re-cocked every time the action is opened. I see no problem with cocking the K-gun at or about waist level as you start up with the rifle for the first two. If you are looking at a target you want to shoot, nobody is going to be between you and the target so what is the porblem with cocking the rifle on the up take?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am surprised at how much debate a simple question genrated. Let me ask another. What other doubles would generate less recoil than a Merkel?

I have fired only two 500 doubles. The first was K-gun and found the recoil reasonable.

The second was a California Rigby that was a joy to shoot. Recoil felt no more than my 470.

It was also a beautiful rifle and seemed to be well made. sofa

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Any others?

I had a Heym. It whacked me pretty good.

A bespoke rifle that fits you well, so felt recoil is diminished. A gun that is heavy for calibre diminishing the recoil itself. OR.....A bespoke rifle that fits you well and is heavy for calibre diminishing both actual and felt recoil. It's easy to find a pre war British rifle that is heavy for calibre in something like 450/400 or one of the various 450s if you're up to it. They have wonderful tang safeties in your choice of automatic or manual and craftsmanship that is rarely if ever repeated these days. Such rifle would start at around 18-20k. That's reasonably close to the cost of a new Heym. Just a thought.

Brett

PS. What calibre were you shooting before?

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 NE.

I held the thing like I would pretty much any other rifle. I had shot a 470 NE several times. I had shot a 458 WM countless times. When I pulled that trigger on the 500, I got the shock of my life. It whacked me so hard across the knuckle that it dislocated the middle finger on my shooting hand.

I held it different after that.

I took it to TZ and found it useless in the environment. I only took it our of the case at night. I kept it loaded by the bed.

I came back and sold it to BigBBear.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Here are some English prewar rifles for under 25k.

Some food for thought .450/400s:

http://www.westleyrichards.com...product.php?id=26180

http://www.westleyrichards.com...product.php?id=26132

At 11 lbs. this should be great:
http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1612

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1853

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1627

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1679

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1624

Another at 11 lbs.
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100116723

More food...more thought .450s:

http://www.westleyrichards.com...product.php?id=26181

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Larry:

I worry about your Rifles Inc 416 sitting in the gun safe gathering dust. If it needs a new home, call me.

Also, you going to shoot the irons?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will:

That 416 is my favorite rifle. It is a real shooter.

If I do the double , I am worried about the iron sights. Especially with my aging eyes.