New
Find
Notify
Tools

where to buy brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a hard time finding brass for .470 NE. I have checked all the usual places: Midway, Graf's, Huntington, etc. but they are all out and cannot say when they will have more in stock.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 59 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Post a want ad in classifieds. Somebody probably has some for sale. Hornady will have them eventually.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall that Buffalo Arms carries some - I think Jamison and Betram.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW Euroguns had 200 new rigby cases at one time as well as 150 woody softs and a set of dies and alot of cast and lower wieght bullets for light loading (i sold them to him). When I sold them he said he was going to post them in December and let the Dallas guys pick em up at the 2009 show.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Peter:

I sent you a PM in a PM thread we have all ready been using.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope that Jamisons quality has improved. The 6000+ 577 Sniders and 4000+ 577/450's we got from them were pretty bad.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I would like to share in your find of information re: 470 Nitro Exp. I just closed a deal on a Merkel 140.2 Brandy New in the box.After processing and papoerwork I should have it in hand by the end of the week. So I will be on the same trail as you are for supplies. Have you thought about dies, and all that , cast bullets for the less expensive loading for target practice? I have plenty of questions. Thanks in advance. RStuden

NRA Life-Endowment Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS Member
8X57RJS Merkel O/U
9,3X74R S/S Merkel
9,3X74R O/U Heym M55

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Rojovin: Congratulations on your new Merkel. I am completely new to reloading, so I will be starting from scratch. I have done a fair bit of reading online, and I have decided that I will go with Redding dies for the .470 because of the price, even though my initial preference was for RCBS. I hadn't thought much about cast bullets, as I did not want to cast them myself, but I suppose one could easily order cast bullets. Do you cast your own or can you suggest a good supplier? Finally, I have been thinking hard about presses: since I will probably load mostly larger calibers, I was looking at RCBS's Ammomaster vs Rockchucker Supreme or Redding's Ultramag vs Big Boss II. For either manufacturer I am not sure whether I need to go with the heavier version (Ammomaster, Ultramag)or just stick with the standard. What are your thoughts?

Posts: 59 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MVR:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Rojovin: Congratulations on your new Merkel. I am completely new to reloading, so I will be starting from scratch. I have done a fair bit of reading online, and I have decided that I will go with Redding dies for the .470 because of the price, even though my initial preference was for RCBS. I hadn't thought much about cast bullets, as I did not want to cast them myself, but I suppose one could easily order cast bullets. Do you cast your own or can you suggest a good supplier? Finally, I have been thinking hard about presses: since I will probably load mostly larger calibers, I was looking at RCBS's Ammomaster vs Rockchucker Supreme or Redding's Ultramag vs Big Boss II. For either manufacturer I am not sure whether I need to go with the heavier version (Ammomaster, Ultramag)or just stick with the standard. What are your thoughts?

MVR,

I have a set of RCBS 470NE dies that I have used to load ~25 rounds of 470NE (like new) that I will trade you heads up for a set of Redding 470NE dies. If you are interested in swapping send me a PM.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
MVR: I have done some casting lately and getting back into the swing of it. I found a deal on e-bay for a set of brandy new 470NE dies, Redding dies, I still need the shellholder for it. I have a Lyman All American Press that I have been refurbishing. I have been using a RCBS RockChucker for many years and like the power of the Lyman. Not so easy to get parts but the presses are up and running I like the power it gives meand ease of Full Length Sizing cases. I also have found some custom bullet casters for 8mmX57, 9,3X74R, .375 H&H Mag, 45-70 and now will look for one for the .470NE Ask away I hope I can answer your questions.
Bob Studen
NRA Life
Sci Life
DRSS (Proud to be a member)

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

As I get into reloading I will take you up on your kind offer to answer my novice questions.

My first would be this: Inasmuch as formulating loads for big doubles is so sensitive to the components (even to the extent of having to work up the same loads when one has a different lot of the same powder), how much load development can one carry over from cast bullet data to loads using "premium" commercial bullets when one finally goes on the dream hunt?

Thanks,

Peter