THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Regulation? Geez, what's the big deal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulation? Geez, what's the big deal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, Rusty brought me some Bell cases on Saturday to load some initial loads to harvest some once fired cases to send out for custom dies on my new Hollis 450-400 (Thanks again, Rusty!). So I loaded a sampler, two rl 15 loads, 63 & 64 grains with dacron filler.

2 sets of 'plinkers' with Hornady 300 grain FP and SP and a 5744 load suggested by Ross Seyfried. Then off to Bayou Rifles.

Well.... the 300 FP shoots 2 into .8 inch at 50 yds!!! (about 8 inches low with the main express sight). The 300 SP, 2 shots into about 3 inches, so it'll need some work.

Then the 63 and 64 rl 15 loads shoot into a composite group of 4 shots of 1.4 inches at 50 yds. The 64 load shoots into .8 inch. Do ya'll think I'm on the right track?

No Chrony readings yet, as this was to pop a cap to get some brass to send off, so many range visits to come.

I think I like this Hollis. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
When I get my Rodda back from JJ, maybe I need to let you have the first shot, maybe you've got "The Touch". Rusty seems to be adopting all of us Houstonians with 450/400's and thanks to him! I can't wait to get in on the action! How long does Hornady claim for delivery time on the custom dies? I am trying to make up my mind as to which brand to go with, RCBS seems to be way high on price compared to the others, at least at Huntingtons. I take it that your Hollis is regulated for the Tropical load of 55 grs. cordite?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobc
Try some of those 300 grainers with the same charge that your rifle likes best with the 400 grainers.
Let me know what happens.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee,
I have a set of dies for the loaning, along with twenty rounds of brass waiting for your call!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of CH4D in 450-400, 3" someone can use until my double is ready!!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee, I'm hoping to get my order out to Hornday today. They claim a 6 week turnaround. JJ said my chambers were slightly oversized and would be ok with factory RCBS, but Hornady's will be fitted to my fired cases and cheaper than RCBS, so that's how I'll go. Theirs are custom so I think you'd need 2 fired cases for each chamber. I hope I didn't use up all my luck on the 1st day.

Tony, I'll try the 300 grainers with the rl 15 loads and see how they do. Good luck on your hunt if I don't talk to you before then, and hope your enjoying retirement. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and my gun is a '55' tropical. Bob

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I am sure going to take you up on your kind offer, just as soon as I get my gun back from JJ! He said 3 weeks and I hope he is right, I am really looking forward to shooting it for the first time. bobc, I am hoping the Hornady's work out for you, I am almost ready to shell out the cash for the RCBS dies if only to speed up the process, I am getting a little nervous as Sept is not that far away for my first buff hunt and I want to get a lot of practice in and load work done, well before time to leave.
lb404, I appreciate your offer also, but since Rusty and I are in the same town, if I end up borrowing some, he is a lot closer. It is very kind of you to offer!
On brass, Rusty, I know you are working on a deal for a bulk buy, and you can count me in, but what about some of the other brass available? Huntingtons had some HDS brass for about $40 per 20 and I was thinking about picking up 40 just to try them out. Are they any good? Any other suggestions on things to get? Man, I 've got a bad "Jones" for my rifle, I gotta go buy some goodies to hold me over till I get it! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee, I think I can find 40 new cases here for you.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote