THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    BEST SCOPE FOR 9.3X74R double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST SCOPE FOR 9.3X74R double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is considered the best scope for a 9.3x74r double rifle(by best scope I mean power and reticule type) THANKS

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rnb

Reticle choice is a very individual "thing".
What looks best to your eye is what is best.

However on BIG big game I prefer a "heavier" reticle to a fine one.

On a 9,3x74R double rifle I would get a Illuminated reticle, for sure.

If you want a small scope then pick the best "straight" tube scope you can afford. Swarovski or S&B would be my first choice.

IF you might hunt black bear over bait, pigs at night, leopard or lion over bait, then something with @1.5 on the low end to 6X or better on the high end with a 42mm objective would be my pick.

I have a 1.5to6x42 Swarovski with the illuminated circle dot reticle.

I consider it perfect. I like this scope so well I have it on 2 other rifles as well.

I have shot game from 12 yards to over 300 with that scope.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though I've never mounted the scope purchased for my Chapuis still feel it was a good choice.
2x7 Leupold European with 30 mm tube.
http://www.theopticzone.com/De...ro&opt=detail&id=810

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Snowwolf- Good choice on the scope. Mount that puppy up and hit the range.

I find that even though I like the idea of carrying my doubles without the optics on them I still find that I use the scope when it comes down to the wire.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my old eyes, i can see better in low light with a Zeiss Conquest than i can with a Leupold, and that's why i've switched to Conquest. So my 9.3x74R DR has a Conquest on it.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
DM -I hear you. I went the same way on my Franz Sodia .338 double. It wears a 6x42 Swarovski.

I have to say that if I had it to do over that many of the rifles I have with big ojective lenses for low light conditions might now have smaller scopes with illumenated recticles.

The ilumenated scopes just wern't very common back then and not offered by all the top makers.

http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/018087

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Woops - I did'nt do that right

Here go's

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold VX III 1.5x5 illuminated in QD Talley mounts and I love it.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my O/U Tikka 512SD with a Leupold 1.5-5x (plain crosshairs) in Tikka QD mounts.

I like it because it mounts lower than a scope with a full size objective bell.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Although I like the 1.5-5 Leupolds as mentioned in the last two post I took the one I had on my .35 whelen because one evening pig hunting in FL I had some hogs in front of me and I could not see my recticle.

I put a 6x42 on it with heavy duplex and solved the problem.

I could see the pig but not the recticle if it would have been iluminated the hog would have been dead.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called New England Arms and I am sending the rifle and a Doctor Optic 1 1/2x6x42mm scope and since the gun isn't shooting to where it should I am sending 3 boxes of the new Hornaday Ammo to have the gun regulated with, I know there are better scopes but this is brand new and on my shelf already.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I think your choice of the 1.5-6x42 is a very good one.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

posted Hide Post
If you want the best money can buy have US optics make you one. They are made one at a time and can pretty much make anything you want. Tied for second are nightforce and schmidt bender. Third Zeiss,swarovski,leica if you can find one. The better leupolds a close fouth.

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Kalifornia | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post

FN-Browning CCS25 in 9,3x74R with Swarovski 1,25-4x24 in Sühler claw mounts.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Redfield 2.75X widefield on EAW mounts., on a S/S 9.3x74. Works OK, and is good for a quick picture.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While looking for the 1.5x6 Doctor scope in the Vault I think I found a better scope for this task a Leupold Mark 4 Mid range scope 1.5x5x20 30 mm tube with a circle/dot and lit I have see these take beating only young police officers can dish out and still work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just purchased the new Trijicon 1x 4. 30 MM scope with a green Dot and german #4 retical.
WoW I have all the big Dollar Scopes but this is great.
Very hard to get a big demand but wotyh the money believe me great on my double.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I put a Swarovski 1.5X4 with the german reticle on my 450-400; but if I didn't already have it, it would be a Leupold with the same reticle.

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote