New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered Softs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Hornady projectiles are factory DGX; the Woodleigh projectiles are my handloads. Good fun, good memories...

Kind regards,

Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Some of those look classic mushrooms, Ben, and some as though they have failed. But if they killed the buff, it would seem they did not fail.

As one with a bunch of Hornady .450/.400 ammo in my stash, I hope that is the situation.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The difference between dead and slightly more dead...

Use with confidence, it'll get the job done fine.

tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have been very disappointed with hornady quality. I love what they have done for double rifle and hard to find ammo--but in short there bullets are crap.

I used there DGX bullet in my 375 RUM last year because they shot better groups than my load with 300 grain Swift A-frames. "My falult that I did not shoot the bullets into phone books to test.

I took a nice livingston eland right behind the shoulder at about 90 yards. After 3 more shots and 2 hr of tracking we had him down. We recovered all of the slugs and they all weighed less than 140 grains--out of 300--with less than 8 in of penetration. The most disappointing thing is I went to the Hornady booth at DSC and took them a recovered slug--and they said Oh! stuff like this happens, Oh well sorry to hijack the thread...just saw more crappy Hornady proformance and thought I'd comment.

Here is the slug:

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
I have been very disappointed with hornady quality. I love what they have done for double rifle and hard to find ammo--but in short there bullets are crap.

I used there DGX bullet in my 375 RUM last year because they shot better groups than my load with 300 grain Swift A-frames. "My falult that I did not shoot the bullets into phone books to test.

I took a nice livingston eland right behind the shoulder at about 90 yards. After 3 more shots and 2 hr of tracking we had him down. We recovered all of the slugs and they all weighed less than 140 grains--out of 300--with less than 8 in of penetration. The most disappointing thing is I went to the Hornady booth at DSC and took them a recovered slug--and they said Oh! stuff like this happens, Oh well sorry to hijack the thread...just saw more crappy Hornady proformance and thought I'd comment.

Here is the slug:

I think what you are showing is whats at the heart of the OP. Is this only critter you have killed with the DGX? Why im asking is I would like to see a pattern. You know some critters just dont want to die. For example, I have hit a moose once with 2 Barnes LRX from a 338 Lapua. The darn think just did not want to fall over. So what I'm saying, If you have recovered 5 or 6 critters and all had the same issue i agree. On a side note, I would love to here at what velocity the DGX was designed for. On the bull moose that i mentioned above, both boats are recovered from the moose only had their noses bent over at maybe about a 15° angle. No expansion on the Barnes whatsoever, no cloverleafs, no nothing! When I talked to the gentleman at Barnes customer service he started asking me a bunch questions on the type of rifle that I was shooting, the velocity that the bullet was leaving the barrel at, the targets range. The gentleman that customer service finally decided after talking with his colleagues that the bullet did not open up because it was going to fast at the time of impact. I'm just conveying what the gentleman told me as I have a little bit of a hard time believing myself but seeing the 338 Lapua is leaving the barrel at 2900 ft./s. I imagine that bullet design will take an account for a velocity spectrum so to speak of. And if they spectrum does exist I imagine the 375 ultra mag that you're shooting is like my Lapua and on the upper ends of that spectrum. Just a thought.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
No I took Waterbuck Red Heartbeest, and blue wildebeest..on that trip with that load.

I have also shot a Nilgai with that load...all died but bullet proformance was not good on any, No bullet exited...not even on a 300 lb heartbeest. FOr there "tough" soft its a little soft. I shot a A frame into the chest at 3 yards to finish the poor chap off it went all the way through and exited out the ham...I did not find the slug...
The aftermath:

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience two years ago with the 500NE and Hornady DGX. I hit the Buff in the shoulder and had plenty of blood to follow but that eventually dried up. We tracked the wounded animal for two days and upon retrieval found the bullet had broken into pieces similar to yours.

I have seen several other reports posted on this forum detailing similar results. I will not use the DGX as a practice bullet and stick to cup points for the hunting.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of evidence to "show a pattern" of the crap performance from the Hornady DGX bullet. And the business about "oh well it killed the animal didn't it" works fine for whitetails and plains game. It's a bit different when it comes to something like a buffalo that may very well stomp the life out of you if not put down with authority.

Personally, I'll never shoot anything that can bite or stomp me to death with a cup and core and or non-bonded bullet; and that includes partitions. An A-Frame would be much better, a TSX or CEB Non-Con even more so!

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
There is plenty of evidence to "show a pattern" of the crap performance from the Hornady DGX bullet. And the business about "oh well it killed the animal didn't it" works fine for whitetails and plains game. It's a bit different when it comes to something like a buffalo that may very well stomp the life out of you if not put down with authority.

Personally, I'll never shoot anything that can bite or stomp me to death with a cup and core and or non-bonded bullet; and that includes partitions. An A-Frame would be much better, a TSX or CEB Non-Con even more so!

I agree with you on the bite or stomp, but how do you explain a situation like mine with the barnes. I honestly think that the bullet speeds are now exceeding the intended design.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
DGX Hornadys have failed in many big bore calibers, even very low velocity. In test work here they fail miserably consistently. Basically if it holds together, nose shears off, and base can continue, penetration normally good, but not consistent, some just break in pieces, penetration not good. Either way, they do not produce any appreciable trauma inflicted, a very important issue on Dangerous Game. Poor consistency seems to be the biggest issue. Cheap ass bullet to be honest. Too bad they did not keep the old interlock in these calibers, it was a superb conventional bullet, far better than the current DGX. A thread here not too long ago was full of failures on buffalo and what have you. There are far better and more reliable bullets on the market than this.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
DGX Hornadys have failed in many big bore calibers, even very low velocity. In test work here they fail miserably consistently. Basically if it holds together, nose shears off, and base can continue, penetration normally good, but not consistent, some just break in pieces, penetration not good. Either way, they do not produce any appreciable trauma inflicted, a very important issue on Dangerous Game. Poor consistency seems to be the biggest issue. Cheap ass bullet to be honest. Too bad they did not keep the old interlock in these calibers, it was a superb conventional bullet, far better than the current DGX. A thread here not too long ago was full of failures on buffalo and what have you. There are far better and more reliable bullets on the market than this.

Michael

Well you sold me, especially if its happing at lower velocities. Okay so back to the original post, what would you recommend for a soft nose on a dangerous game rifle.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many Australians, myself included, are very pleased with Woodleigh soft points. Literally thousands of buffalo have been killed with them. I consider myself reasonably experienced at hunting buffalo, and yet compared to some blokes I know, who have shot them in the hundreds, I am quite a beginner. Anyway, the top two nicely-mushroomed examples are typical of what the other blokes experience with their Woodleighs. We tend to go through quite a bit of ammunition, so the price of projectiles is a consideration, and Woodleigh are quite reasonable. Also, I must admit that for myself, patriotism has something to do with it - but only because it is matched with performance - there are two other Australian projectile makers whose product simply cannot perform adequately on buffalo, and so I don't feel the least bit inclined to support them. I enjoy toying with Woodleigh solids and Hydros, also, but keep coming back to the softs. I asked a far more experienced hunter than I what he thought of solids, and if he'd tried the Hydros. He answered that softs from his double .450/.400 3" NE had done the job superbly, he had complete confidence in them, and preferred to simply keep doing what he'd done for decades. I would definitely not argue against the research done into the Hydro-type bullets - they demonstrate superiority, certainly. But for my purposes, for the most part, I shall continue to use Woodleigh softs on our buffalo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jackets and steel core on the DGX appear to fracture quite easily. I don't think it is wise to use steel jackets on soft points. Hornadys old soft point was a very affective bullet and for the life of me, I see no reason for them to have changed.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
quote:

I agree with you on the bite or stomp, but how do you explain a situation like mine with the barnes. I honestly think that the bullet speeds are now exceeding the intended design.

AKMan,

I can't comment on the Barnes LRX as I haven't used that particular bullet. I've read a few stories of guys having a TSX or TTSX not open and seen a few of the bullets posted here. I have to say that it really leaves me scratching my head when I see those. Reason being that I've been shooting the X, TSX, TTSX in just about all the caliber steps from .243 to .510 since about 1997, taking a wide variety of game ranging from whitetails to elk to moose, African PG from duiker to eland, cape buffalo, a couple of leopards, a couple of lions, etc. I've just never had one fail to open and drop the animal within sight except for the cape buffalo but of course, they don't usually to the DRT thing!!

Currently, I'm still shooting TSX and TTSX in my bolt and single shots but have moved exclusively to the CEB line for my double rifles. Will I move all the way to the CEB's and the Non-Con concept in the bolt and singles? Probably but for now I'm still more than satisfied with the TSX concept with those guns. The main thing holding me from switching to CEB in those rifles is 1) time to start a new load development and 2) I could be mistaken on this one but I think there were some issues with the COAL being too long with tips inserted for the magazine. I don't want to shoot one tipped round in the chamber and non tipped in the mag. Again, just haven't had time to sort through it all.

But back to the DGXs, that is one bullet that I have zero confidence in for use on DG.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
The jackets and steel core on the DGX appear to fracture quite easily. I don't think it is wise to use steel jackets on soft points. Hornadys old soft point was a very affective bullet and for the life of me, I see no reason for them to have changed.

465H&H

shocker

On this subject Walt, you and I are in 100% Agreement. The old Interlock was a very fine conventional bullet, far far far better than the DGX, or the prior one the Interbond big bore, same story there, and near exact same results.

quote:
Well you sold me, especially if its happing at lower velocities. Okay so back to the original post, what would you recommend for a soft nose on a dangerous game rifle.

If in fact talking to me, first I would suggest you use a BBW#13 NonCon--Non Conventional HP. North Fork CPS--Cup Point SOlid, I prefer the "Expanding Cup Point" which is what I had designed for my cartridges. If you wish to stick to conventional, North Fork Soft. This is as good as it gets..

Woodleigh Softs are very good Conventional bullets, one has to know the bullet, not all are equal, and you must stay within it's operational bounds for terminal performance. I have used Woodleighs often, staying within its operational area, and they did a fine job, for a conventional bullet.

Swift and Barnes TSX, both good conventionals as well.

No Conventional bullet can compare with the incredible trauma produced by the modern Non-Con.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
It is truely amazing to me to see some fairly famous PHs touting Hornady DGX bullets on TV. I wonder how many of these guys actually use Hornady bullets for dangerous game?

For the assembled AR crowd out there, have ANY of you hunted with a PH who recommended you use Hornady DGX bullets while you are hunting with them? sofa

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
It is truely amazing to me to see some fairly famous PHs touting Hornady DGX bullets on TV. I wonder how many of these guys actually use Hornady bullets for dangerous game?

For the assembled AR crowd out there, have ANY of you hunted with a PH who recommended you use Hornady DGX bullets while you are hunting with them? sofa

Come on man, its like Shaq really uses the Icey Hot patch! Hornedy came up to these guys and said for 10 grand you will say this...

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:

Come on man, its like Shaq really uses the Icey Hot patch! Hornedy came up to these guys and said for 10 grand you will say this...

True - but because of it, some less knowledgable hunters are literally betting their lives on these bullets.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In all the testing I have done on the DGX, they routinely tend to fragment excessively, either at the front (like the above pictures) or sometimes completely. I have only shot non DG with them so can't comment on that, just to say they killed the Bison and hogs very dead. The culprit is the steel jackets (they don't have steel cores but the lead also appears to be brittle and forms small fragments instead of mushrooms) ) which are more brittle/less ductile than a copper or cupro-nickel jacket. I don't know why Hornady uses that material but I read that they have to import it from Germany. They should go back to using copper.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 3 bullets we recovered from my Cape buff in 2011, shot with a .458 Lott chrono'd at 2254, none of them looked that "together". One started to mushroom and then sheared off at the beginning of the mushroom, one sheared all the way down to the cannelure but not uniformly, about 30 percent of the jacket remained. And the other one disintegrated. I have made mention to their research department and got the same result, oh well. I've switched to CEB's for Dangerous game.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know more than one PH that seriousally discourages the use of the DGX for some of the same reasons mentioned here.

They are readily available and relatively cheap. Something to be said for that.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled this one out of a buffalo in August. Its all thats left of a DGX fired out of a .450 NE Hornady factory load.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most disappointing thing is I went to the Hornady booth at DSC and took them a recovered slug--and they said Oh! stuff like this happens,

quote:
One started to mushroom and then sheared off at the beginning of the mushroom, one sheared all the way down to the cannelure but not uniformly, about 30 percent of the jacket remained. And the other one disintegrated. I have made mention to their research department and got the same result, oh well.

A trend I have seen coming from Hornady for the last few years concerning their bullets. Does not seem they care too much about real terminal performance, more about hocking off cheap bullets, and as many as they can with little concern of anything else. I am about as impressed with Todays Hornady as I am with Todays Barnes in that department.

With North Fork and CEB--Who really needs either of them, especially with attitudes towards performance like that. They don't care that you might loose an animal? Or worse.........There are better choices out there.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kind of makes one laugh at their slogan. Dangerous, deadly, dependable.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

I have to disagree. I don't have any experience with the Hornady DGX or DGS but as cup and core bullets go, I think the plain old Hornady Interlock is a fine bullet. While I would prefer a bonded core bullet like a Woodleigh for dangerous game, I would not hesitate to hunt buffalo with a heavy for caliber .375, .416, or .458 Interlock and for North America and African plains game, I think they work just fine in most standard cartridges. In fact, I know they work. I have been in the Hornady trophy room. If you are shooting a hyper velocity cartridge like a .338 RUM or Lapua, of course, pick a bullet heavy for caliber (i.e. 250 grain .338 Hornady) or use a tougher bullet like an A-Frame. Weathery loads Hornady bullets in their ammo. I have shot any number of deer with a 154 grain Hornady Interlock out of a 7mm mag. and they all performed flawlessly at vastly different ranges. I watched my hunting partner shoot an equal number of deer with a 25-06 pushing a 117 grain Hornady BTSP. Remember how well the 286 grain .366 Interlock did in your test? Perfectly matched for the 9,3X74R. Nor have I ever heard anyone complain about the DGS bullet or their plain old copper clad steel solids.

I get really tired of all this Hornady bashing. I know these guys and I think it is a great company. They are very innovative, especially when it comes to cartridge design. In the past several years they have given us the 450 Marlin, .375 and .416 Ruger, the .300 and .338 Ruger Compact Magnums, and the 6.5 Creedmoor. All wonderful designs and the 450 Marlin and .338 RCM are particular favorites of mine and while you may not agree with their marketing approach, Barnes makes a damn fine bullet as well.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I won't be too quick to thrash Hornady. While in my opinion the DGX is a not very well designed bullet in that it is too subject to fracturing, it makes many other bullets that are excellent for their intended purpose. Those include the GMX, SST, Interlock and the DGS solid amongst others. The DGS has the advantage of being short in length compared to mono-metal bullets. This allows more case capacity for greater velocity than when using monos. For instance in the 458 Win., you can not get meaningful velocities with 500 grain mono solids for elephant but you can with a shorter cup and core bullet such as the DGS. Yes, I know you can drop down to a 450 grain mono and get decent velocity but some of us don't want to give up the extra thump associated with a 500 grain bullet.

Although the DGX leaves much to be desired, there are plenty of other brands of bullets available for our use. I suspect it won't be long until the DGS is redesigned.

In addition Hornady has introduced reasonably priced ammo and loading components for the most common of the Nitro Express double rifle calibers. What other American company has done that?

I'm not sure it does us any good to thrash a company over one bullet design.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Not often we disagree but your comment

"Yes, I know you can drop down to a 450 grain mono and get decent velocity but some of us don't want to give up the extra thump associated with a 500 grain bullet."

From my eperience with Woodleigh Hydro's and from talking to others, you can drop down in bullet weight yet still get the penetration and effect of a heavier bullet.

I have particularly seen it with the 235gn 375 Hydro - did what I have for years done with 300gn Woodleigh RN SN in terms of penetration, wound channel etc.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I know you can drop down to a 450 grain mono and get decent velocity but some of us don't want to give up the extra thump associated with a 500 grain bullet.

The "THUMP" from a 450gr mono in 458WM will greatly exceed the terminal performance of a 500gr DGX any way you want to look at it!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I don't have any experience with the Hornady DGX or DGS but as cup and core bullets go, I think the plain old Hornady Interlock is a fine bullet.

Maybe so, but the DGX is simply not a reliable bullet!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael:

I have to disagree. I don't have any experience with the Hornady DGX or DGS but as cup and core bullets go, I think the plain old Hornady Interlock is a fine bullet.

Dave, and I stated that the old interlock is a fine bullet. We have nothing to disagree about? This entire thread concerns the Hornady DGX and it is shit bullet, no doubt of that.

quote:
Yes, I know you can drop down to a 450 grain mono and get decent velocity but some of us don't want to give up the extra thump associated with a 500 grain bullet.

465HH--Still thinking conventional. You are wrong on this point. You can get more than decent velocity, say in 458Win with the 450s---2250-2300 depending on barrel length. This bit of extra velocity in a proper designed FN bullet--North Fork, BBW#13s, hits hard, does tremendous more damage than the same bullet at lower velocity, and far far far more up front damage than any RN solid. If we are talking mono 450 NonCon vs 500 gr anything, there is zero comparison there, the NonCon wins hands down every single time on trauma inflicted. Solid--450 at velocity can make up the difference of the 500 at lower velocity, these bullets react favorably to velocity, trauma increases up front, depth of penetration increases on the back side. There will be very little difference in penetration between 450/500 if any at all, depending on how much more velocity, and regardless of, the 450 will have way way more than enough to accomplish mission.

And Hornady is not the "Saint" company that you believe, and yes I know Dave knows HOrnady, but I bet there are things you don't talk about! Like many bigger corps, the purchasing group out weighs the decisions of the rest of the company---$$$ Count!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Michael I also don't think Hornady are saints but they have done some very good things and when a company does something good we need to recognize that as well as chew them out when they make a mistake. Remember you don't make any money or count on what you design to feed your family or keep your investors happy. Remember this is a capitalist nation. If they don't make a profit they don't survive.

The "THUMP" from a 450gr mono in 458WM will greatly exceed the terminal performance of a 500gr DGX any way you want to look at it!

Todd and Michael,

While we can easily (or in some cases not so easily) measure penetration distance and get some idea from tissue damage, there isn't any way to measure the amount of thump of various bullets on elephant heads between a 450 and 500 grain .458 bullet. Any feeling any of us have on that issue is pure opinion and one may as right as the other.

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Todd and Michael,

While we can easily (or in some cases not so easily) measure penetration distance and get some idea from tissue damage, there isn't any way to measure the amount of thump of various bullets on elephant heads between a 450 and 500 grain .458 bullet. Any feeling any of us have on that issue is pure opinion and one may as right as the other.

465H&H

Talk about crossing from the sublime to the ridiculous. How does one quantify "thump" anyway?
What IS a valid measure of effectiveness when it comes to determining the superiority (or inferiority) of one in this case bullet over another, are penetration and internal damage. Without question, the CEBs, at least to my satisfaction from reading and SEEING the data, have demonstrated to be light years ahead of a Woddleigh and most certainly a DGX.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't have any experience with the Hornady DGX or DGS but as cup and core bullets go, I think the plain old Hornady Interlock is a fine bullet.

Maybe so, but the DGX is simply not a reliable bullet!

The whole company should not be judged by the performance of one bullet. Like 465H&H said, if it doesn't work, it will probably get a redesign. These are good guys who work hard to make a good, affordable product. I don't often disagree with Michael but his statement that "A trend I have seen coming from Hornady for the last few years concerning their bullets...Does not seem they care too much about real terminal performance, more about hocking off cheap bullets, and as many as they can with little concern of anything else" is both untrue and unfair. I have taken a lot of game (pigs, deer, elk, and black bear) with plain old cup and core bullets from Hornady and Speer and they all performed up to my expectations. All of our bison have fallen to Woodleigh softs and solids. Sometimes I think we forget that all bullets are not judged from a dangerous game standpoint.

P.S. The mailman just brought my new 9,3X62 and 9,3X74R Lee Factory Crimp Dies!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I think we forget that all bullets are not judged from a dangerous game standpoint.

I promise you that I forget, I don't care about anything else! That's what I do and thats all I do. Buffalo Bullets--Thats all I give a hoot in hell about. Of course, if its a good buffalo bullet, then it can do anything else with ease! So all you people remember this, everything from me is about Dangerous Game and big bores. Two kinds of "Dangerous Game", Thin and Thick. Thick is heavy and not only includes serious buffalo bullets, but solids as well. Thin, well, what works on thin skinned "Dangerous Game", also works on Kudu! So yes, I judge EVERYTHING from a Dangerous Game Standpoint, nothing else really matters much, not to me!

This thread about DGX----DG Standing for Dangerous Game. Nothing else matters! Don't give a hoot in holy hell about a deer bullet!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
I have to disagree with you on the old interlock Hornadys for DG. In 2011, me and a friend of mine showed up in camp in Zim. Me with my .458 Lott and the DGX and DGS and my friend with a .458 Win With Hornady Interlocks and Barnes Solids. The PH's looked over our ammo with extreme dissatisfaction. I killed my buff at 20 yards and have reported the bullet deformation. My friend chose to ignore the Ph's advice and shot his buff at about 34 yards with one of the older versions, the Interlock. Shot the Bull in front of the near side shoulder, (quartering to shot). The bullet entered, expanded, then rebounded off the ribs and ended up back in the shoulder. The same shoulder it entered in front of. Chrono'd velocity was in the close neighborhood of 2150. Piss poor bullet performance IMHO NO penetration into the chest cavity at all. Now, I'm not bashing Hornady, most of the bullets in my reloading shop are Hornady but when you're hunting game that can and will kill you, you need premium bullets. It doesn't make sense to spend 20,000 on a hunt and shoot the cheapest bullet you can buy or reload. As far as I'm concerned, they are good plinking loads.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Michael,
I have to disagree with you on the old interlock Hornadys for DG. In 2011, me and a friend of mine showed up in camp in Zim. Me with my .458 Lott and the DGX and DGS and my friend with a .458 Win With Hornady Interlocks and Barnes Solids. The PH's looked over our ammo with extreme dissatisfaction. I killed my buff at 20 yards and have reported the bullet deformation. My friend chose to ignore the Ph's advice and shot his buff at about 34 yards with one of the older versions, the Interlock. Shot the Bull in front of the near side shoulder, (quartering to shot). The bullet entered, expanded, then rebounded off the ribs and ended up back in the shoulder. The same shoulder it entered in front of. Chrono'd velocity was in the close neighborhood of 2150. Piss poor bullet performance IMHO NO penetration into the chest cavity at all. Now, I'm not bashing Hornady, most of the bullets in my reloading shop are Hornady but when you're hunting game that can and will kill you, you need premium bullets. It doesn't make sense to spend 20,000 on a hunt and shoot the cheapest bullet you can buy or reload. As far as I'm concerned, they are good plinking loads.

tu2

Plinking bullets only since Barnes introduced the X bullet. Nothing else. I use their brass only when I can't find anything else. But when I had a case separation on the first load in the 9.3, I called to speak with them, emailed to follow up with a picture of the case, and got ZERO response from Hornady. This is similar to the reports above of Hornady reps just shrugging their collective shoulders and stating "Oh well, it happens" when pointing out a failure of their products. Tell me again, what is it that's great about Hornady?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Piss poor bullet performance IMHO NO penetration into the chest cavity at all

Rick, no doubt, we are in 100% agreement. I tested many years ago some old Hornady Interlocks against the then new Interbond. The interbond behaved exactly like the DGX, nose breaks off, breakup, same. At that time the Interlock tested very good, against that. Still being only a C&C bullet, anything can happen in the field. I never took any of those to the field, there were better things, even then. When I was still "Conventional" I used Swifts for all the buffalo, or on occasion a Woodleigh Soft. Hornady is not on the menu of choices with DG.

Todd, I stand with what you have to say about Hornady---The "Accountants" have taken over there I assume. I see it with bigger Corps all the time in my business. Once the "Purchasing Agents" or "Accountants" take over, then that "Customer" care is Out the Door! Only the $$ count from then on. Yes, Please, someone tell me what is so great about that? And what they are doing for the shooter/hunter? They don't care about performance, that is for sure. Hock as many cheap ass bullets as possible. Design that bullet so it feeds in cheap ass rifles, so more can be sold. Oh Well.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't make sense to spend 20,000 on a hunt and shoot the cheapest bullet you can buy or reload. As far as I'm concerned, they are good plinking loads.

This statement needs no comment at all! It speaks for itself!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

I shoot Hornady brass whenever I can get it. As you know, I also have a 9,3X74R. All my brass is from Hornady and I have never had a problem with it. I am still shooting the first 20 rounds that I got and I expect it has been loaded at least five times. It's still perfect.

Pago, I sure didn't understand your statement:

"The bullet entered, expanded, then rebounded off the ribs and ended up back in the shoulder. The same shoulder it entered in front of. Chrono'd velocity was in the close neighborhood of 2150. Piss poor bullet performance IMHO NO penetration into the chest cavity at all."

Huh? bewildered I am also sure you determined this from a dead buffalo, right?

I agree with all of you who suggest not to use inexpensive bullets on an expensive hunt and there are much better choices than Hornady bullets for DG. However, for everyday hunting, Hornady bullets work just fine.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd:

I shoot Hornady brass whenever I can get it. As you know, I also have a 9,3X74R. All my brass is from Hornady and I have never had a problem with it. I am still shooting the first 20 rounds that I got and I expect it has been loaded at least five times. It's still perfect.

Perfect? Dave, it's not that the brass split on the very first load. It's the fact that Hornady couldn't be bothered with discussing why this may have happened. They didn't care how their product had failed; only that it had been sold!

I am also sure you determined this from a dead buffalo, right?

Right Dave! That's the type of attitude that works for deer and elk but is likely to get you killed with something like a buffalo or lion. Think of it in these terms, if a 300lb criminal, jacked up on PCP and Crystal Meth is coming at you with a knife and ill intent, you can kill him with a 22LR. But that's really not what you need right then as he is likely to make contact with you and take you out. Rather, you would be better equipped to stop the attack with something like a 45ACP using a premium 240gr HP. Sure the coroner will later pull the 22LR bullet out of the scumbag and pronounce him dead while he likely lays on the slab next to you. The bullet worked, right?