Notify
Tools

Recovered Softs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

I can't explain why your case split. All I can say is that my experience has been different.

I have not had an opportunity to hunt dangerous game. If I did get that chance, I would probably select a Woodleigh, Barnes, North Fork, or CEB#13. However, for all my other hunting needs, I will continue to use Hornady products. You do what makes sense to you.

Good luck and good hunting.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Yes it was from a dead buffalo but it certainly not from that bullet. My friends second shot was a Barnes banded solid as the bull was leaving. The PH did a pretty thorough post mortem and the evidence spoke for itself. Before the hunt, the PH asked that my friend only shot solids after looked at his ammo. He previously had bad experiences with bullet failure with the big bore Interlocks. I'm not bashing Hornady, as I said, most of the bullets in my reloading shop are Hornady. They have always performed extremely well on North American game. They are accurate in my rifles and pistols but NA game is not as thick skinned as African game and not as likely to try and get even. Have to say that I haven't used their DGS for anything, didn't get the chance but.......
I personally believe that the jacket on the DGX is too brittle for reliable expansion and/or durability, for lack of a better word, for use on DG.
Trust me, I'm not an expert on bullet construction and don't claim to be. The buffalo I shot before last years', actually in 2011, was with a .470 NE with a 500 grain Wooleigh. Just the softs, didn't get a chance to use a solid. That bullet was a perfect mushroom with no shear on any side of the bullet and kept it's weight to 78%. It performed, imho, as expected. And as I said, MOST of the bullets in my shop are Hornady and that is what I use in my tackdrivers and my hunting rifles here for everyday use.
Not trying to be argumentative so please don't misunderstand me.
Respectfully
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap---have not checked in in awhile---sorry I started a S*it storm here.

Hornday is a good company, they do not need to lose focus on there customer base. I Run a small business unit for a large company---and I can tell you why we are very profitable...we focus on the customer--they are king---with out them 0 % of 0 is 0. What I saw at the hornady booth was some one paid 8 dollars an hr to stand in a booth and was waiting for 7:00 to roll around so he could go out and chase tail...instead of focus on customer...I guess that is what has hurt me worse...Listen to the customer---try to right the wrong---and deliver 10% more than what is expected.

I have faith that Hornday will re-focus and bring out good products but for now I will punch paper with there bullets not hide on game animals.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady brass is what keeps me in the game. I do have some Norma .416 Rigby brass - marvelous stuff - but rare and expensive. Hornady were a real godsend to me as a big bore shooter in Australia. And so far, no problems.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Hornady brass is what keeps me in the game. I do have some Norma .416 Rigby brass - marvelous stuff - but rare and expensive. Hornady were a real godsend to me as a big bore shooter in Australia. And so far, no problems.

Hornady is a good brand of brass, its been my experience though in the real high pressure rounds they will crack fast. For example, I shoot 338 Lapua, Very high in pressure, On Lapua Brass, I can get 8 to 10 reloads per piece of brass. The Hornady brass will only give me 2 to 3 reloads before the necks will crack or something else will go wrong.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote