THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Baikal SXS 45-70 in Canada - NOT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal SXS 45-70 in Canada - NOT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Monday night had a chat with a Remington rep who now advises that Remington has bought the North American distribution rights for Baikal, so Baikal will not be bringing the DR into Canada.

So, I asked when Remington would be bringing them in and I was told "Soon". I said "How soon?" - "Very soon." So, I pressed him and told him that we've been hearing "Soon" for 3 years now, and that I think we're being fed crap!

His next line was that "Remington doesn't think there's enough demand for it." I told him he was full of crap with that statement, too.

My suspicion is that they know that there is more than enough demand, so they've decided to hold back the import until they can justify bumping the price up to double or triple what they were originally going to sell for - you know, inflation, materials costs, blah, blah, blah. The bean counters figure if you have demand for something, you may as well make as much money off it as you can. Mad Mad Mad

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Not that many months ago on this site, some from Canada were reporting they had purchased Baikals and were experiencing some problems with them. Caliber I believe was '06 and action breaking open upon firing and gas leaking, etc. Not good signs!
Would imagine the field reps, distributors, retailers,etc.will pretty much tell any of us "with inquiring minds..." whatever it takes to make you go away. Story from the factory is simply that due to safety reasons/liability lawyers, etc. they will not be bringing into North America any Remington branded until those concerns are resolved. None of the double rifles/Baikals stamped with Remington have been brought/sold in North America. Previous marketing group in Europe did put some in Canada, but again, not Remington sponsored. Believe bottom line is they will be brought in to the U.S. market when they get here and might as well forget them until you actually see them, if ever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the rest of you have been waiting for "the day" when these showup. If these actions are not strong enough for "high pressure" or large head size cases, change the calibers that they are made in! Instead of 30-06 why not 30-40 Craig; instead of 45-47 why not 38-55. Fit the caliber to the action, not the other way round. Does this concept have merrit or an I missing something.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any of the double rifles yet, but a local store does currently have one of the 12 gauge over .223 stack-barrel guns. It does bear the Remington name on it. Very plain looking, but not noticeably poor workmanship....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
isn't it a damn shame that Remington doesn't recognize its social responsibility to make powerful side by side double rifles to be sold cheaply to the masses of bubbas patiently waiting for them ?

suggest you contact some of the social change folks like nancy pelosi, hillary, and teddy and get them to rally to your side.

Remington -OWES - the bubbas cheap, powerful double rifles. just like the truck makers owe them a $1,000 new 4 wheel drive pick - em -up truck.

say ' YESSSS jumpingbrothers and sisters ! YESSS

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TOMO i think you should try to eat a little more bran in your cereal in the morning's. thumb

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom,
you really should think about getting some help...

of course, a "proper double" is like a "proper turnbolt".. it's only "proper" if it costs over 10k to some guys.

getoverit

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the 30-06 and sent it back.

Action could not handle the pressure, the lever was realy hard to open due to the chamber pressure.

The safety was screwed up afer a few shots. It would not go on safe after one bbl was fired.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are popping up "Down Under."

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Numbe...n=0&page=0#Post69966

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote