Find
Notify
Tools

Verney-Carron SxS ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
Kindly share any good, bad, or ugly experiences with Verney-Carron ? I am interested in the Azur Safari Side-by-Side models. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are nice guns and are getting better everytime they make one.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it very much. Everything I expected and then some. Lots of threads here on the subject

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
A few comments:

I have or have had Merkel, Heym, Chapuis, Sabatti and Verney-Carron doubles in the recent past. All were well-made and I've enjoyed each and every one. The Sabatti had a barrel crown issue with which I wasn't satisfied but the others were exemplary in every measure and inherently more accurate than I am.

In the past few years I have owned 4 different Verney-Carron double rifles and hope in the coming year to add two more. Two that I have owned have been Azur Safari models.

Overall I can say that I have been completely satisfied with the handling, construction, craftsmanship and accuracy (again, better than me). I have also been quite impressed with the Verney-Carron family and their willingness to make custom alterations based on my requests.

Finally, there are two individuals with whom I have dealt that are heads and shoulders above all others in terms of customer support, consideration of my interests, education (of me) and downright friendliness.

In the bolt-action world that person is Wayne Jacobson of AHR (Bitterroot here on AR).

In the double rifle world that person is Ken Buch of Kebco (kebco here on AR) who is the importer for Verney-Carron rifles among others.

Here is a link to some of the V-Cs out there. As jorge stated, there is plenty in the Double Rifle Forum to whet your whistle.

Click here for sample of V-C doubles

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
And another link:
VC 450NE

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
Kindly share any good, bad, or ugly experiences with Verney-Carron ? I am interested in the Azur Safari Side-by-Side models. Thanks in advance.

My experience with VC rifles was not as good as the other posters as the one I had built for me was not regulated correctly and the comb was just a tad to high. You can research my old posts if you want to explore more into it. It was a stunning rifle, beautiful wood, excellent fit and finish. But if it doesnt shoot correctly, well then its just a safe queen.
Rifle - not so good
Customer service - excellent, 100% refund.

I would still consider them for a future rifle build knowing I was taken care of if the price was right.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Just received mine yesterday and so far its up to expectations but would be interested to know if the trigger pull will smooth up with time.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
A real beauty ozhunter.

5 days until my 600 nitro express and 375 flange magnum Verney-Carron doubles make the trip with me to Namibia for elephant and leopard . The photos of my doubles, the ammo and the targets speak for themselves.

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
wow, five days Doc, you must be going nuts! Ditto on what you said.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Yeah Jorge I am. Sorta a cross between thrill of a first date (as if I could remember) and panic over forgetting something. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by collector:

My experience with VC rifles was not as good as the other posters as the one I had built for me was not regulated correctly and the comb was just a tad to high. You can research my old posts if you want to explore more into it. It was a stunning rifle, beautiful wood, excellent fit and finish. But if it doesnt shoot correctly, well then its just a safe queen.
Rifle - not so good
Customer service - excellent, 100% refund.

I would still consider them for a future rifle build knowing I was taken care of if the price was right.

I remember you getting torqued off in the past on deals when your ass wasn't kissed to your satisfaction same as you did with the VC double rifle. Instead of allowing Ken and VC to make right, what may or may not have been an issue, you acted like an asshole and threw a fit on here and of course, Ken, being the first rate guy he is, which you are not, took the rifle back. A gentleman would have allowed Ken and VC to attempt to correct whatever problem you think you may have had with the custom left-hand double that you ordered and had built to your measurements and specs but of course you didn't.

I am sure Ken is glad to no longer have to deal with you. I wish Butch, Chris or whomever has to deal with you now luck in putting up with your diva bullshit, they'll need it.

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There's more to that story than you're aware of Mr Wilde. So bite your tongue til you know more

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
There's more to that story than you're aware of Mr Wilde. So bite your tongue til you know more

There may have been an issue with the rifle and if that was the case Ken and VC would have made it right but the fact remains that Snowolfe trefused to give them a chance to make it right. I own a business and from experience he is the rare customer that one is glad to see go on down the road to someone else. I'm just feel sorry for whomever he tries to buy a double from because he will never be satisfied.

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

I never asked Ken to do anything. Ken offered to refund my money if the rifle went back asap and I took him up on his offer. I never asked for a refund. It is all posted here in previous threads. He never offered to have it repaired.

I am pretty happy with my Chapuis and my Searcy and plan on keeping them both. So, whatever deals you are referring to where my ass was not kissed I would like to know about them.

Please, tell Chris and Mr Searcy in a private (or public) message about all my deals where I wanted my ass kissed. Then if Chris decides he does not want me for a customer based upon your comments he can return the money for the 450/400 I have on order with him. Also, Mr Searcy has the right to tell me he does not want to build me a 500 NE in the near future.

Thanks for your comments, it has been an interesting day and I needed a good laughSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Yeah Jorge I am. Sorta a cross between thrill of a first date (as if I could remember) and panic over forgetting something. rotflmo

rifles, ammo and the clothes on your back, everything else is just "combat support." Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

rifles, ammo and the clothes on your back, everything else is just "combat support." Smiler

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know very little about doubles, but I love my new .577NE, V-C. Ken was excellent and the gun shoots!

Good luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

I like it! Down here in the swamps we say "Guns, boots and bullets.) I know it works; I pulled into camp late one afternoon after work and still had about 15 minutes to hunt. I had my rifle and ammo and boots in the trunk, stuffed the cuff of my dress slacks into my boots and walked into the woods a few yards. When the guys came in at dark I was sitting on a log by my buck in a coat and tie!

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the coat and tie; the buck was just dead.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LOL, I wondered how you dress the deer down there! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
I just took delivery of an Azur Safari Luxe in 500NE a couple of months ago. Before placing my order I did my homework and handled almost all of the new production doubles, talked with owners, researched extensively and the Verney Carron was my choice. I couldn't be any more impressed with the quality and dynamics of this rifle. Irritatingly, I'm having to sell mine due to eye problems but I'd order it again in a heartbeat if I were patient enough to wait for another build.
Ken and the entire service experience get my highest accolades, too. It is easy to act as their agent when the guns are so damned good and clearly he is an avid hunter, shooter as well.If he didn't share our passion, I'd tell him he is wasting his time fiddling with guns-he should be making $$$ brokering yachts or planes! He really understands what customer service and support are all about.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
OZ that looks like a great pig stopper. I heard there are lots of them in Australia to practice on.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
OZ that looks like a great pig stopper. I heard there are lots of them in Australia to practice on.

Mike

Absolutely. Picked the rifle up on Friday afternoon and it took some consideration not to take it pig hunting at one the next morning. Might do it this weekend though and possibly with a mate with a Famars 470 Wink . All good practice for next season.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OZ, what caliber did you get?

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Oz, I shoot a Famars 450#2, Great shooting with that double.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote