New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope on 470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the process of trying to buy a 470 NE on gun broker, does anyone have scopes mounted on doubles, i am 59 and have not shot open sights in 35 years, will try sights before I do anything about a scope.
thanks
george

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I'm in about the same boat. On my merkel the rib is a solid one, so I milled a couple of notches in each side. The rib is the same width as the one on a ruger, so either ruger rings or leupolds detachables will work. I used the leupolds. mounted a 1-5 bushnell 3200 on it with the firefly reticule & it worked out just great. I can still pop the scope off if need be, but if i'm sneaking up on something the scope helps my old eyes out lots. And no - it did not effect the regulation one bit.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle I am trying to buy is a Merkle also. Thanks for the info
George

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The merkel importer has a first rate Austrian gunmaker on staff who has mounted scopes on both of my double rifles as well as my drillings and combo guns. His name is Herbert Wohlmuth and can do claw mounts and some of the german swing mounts (schwankmontage).

The other option is as already mentioned and mill some warn mount basis into your rib.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
has anyone installed a recoil pad on Merkle double, I am about to purchase 470 NE I am thinking it might need one.
George

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sound dumb here but dosn't it come with one already on it? It's not rocket science to install one but be carefull any change to your rifle can effect the regulation of your barrels. This is something to think about when adding a scope as well

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
has anyone installed a recoil pad on Merkle double, I am about to purchase 470 NE I am thinking it might need one.
George

MIGHT NEED ONE? Is a hog's butt ham! Roll Eyes

I even installed a Pachmeyr decelarator on my little Merkel 140E 9.3X74R, and my 140-2 470NE SAFARI has a kick-eze on it, and you still don't have to ask anyone if it went off when you fire it!

The Merkels are fitted with a plastic butplate, to protect the wood! They are an "off the shelf" rifle, fitted that way so the new owner can adjust the length of pull, to fit him, when he installs the recoil pad!
gi I hope you get that rifle, it is a buy at $6500, and the $100 to install a quality recoil pad is money well spent!

As far as mounting a scope on your rifle goes, this needs to be done properly! If it isn't the recoil will pull the rib right off your rifle. Either the importer, or JJ Perodeau at Champlin's should be used to install a quality QD scope mount, that will return to zero every time, and installed properly. This isn't cheap, and the scope needs to be as light as is possible and still strong enough to stand up to the recoil. These make-do type mountings, and $100 scopes will do you no good here. They may save you some money initially, but will cost you dearly in the long run! The term "SOLID RIB" simply means it is not ventilated. It is still just soldered to the barrels, and is hollow for the most part, to save weight! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You were given some good information already and shooting the rifle first before any modifications is what I would do...I had not used open sights in a while before I purchased my Merkel 470...so it took a bit of adjustment on my part...but I worked that out.

See how the gun fits you before installing the recoil pad...you can adjust from there as to LOP..but yes a recoil pad is needed.

I think there are some aftermarket front beads for the Merkel..you could look into that. I saw some on another Merkel, replacement front bead, was very nice...I need to look for that!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
If you put a scope on a .470 NE DR, I'm going to shoot you.

Also, I had a recoil pad and reducer put on my Merkel .500 NE by JJ after shooting it a bit and hearing complaints from others who shot it -ahem, you know who you are Wink

Works GREAT now!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd put scopes on my eyes before i'd disgrace a double with a scope.......blasphemous, just blasphemous Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
On my merkel...mounted a 1-5 bushnell 3200 on it with the firefly reticule.

OK, a scope on a double I can deal with (although I personally wouldn't do it on a 470).... BUT A BUSHNELL!!! Better to use it for target practice. Eeker

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gi
Shoot the rifle a little bit before you mount a scope you may find the ironsights will work for you.
If not I would have JJ Perodeau put a low mounted scope in Quick Detach mounts.
Tell him to mount it as low as possible. I would go with a 1.5-5 Leupold, or a 1-4 Swarovski with the illuminated circle dot reticle. I use a scoped 9,3x74 R double rifle quite a bit.
If I ger to the poing where I cannot use iron sights effectively I will scope a big bore double.... AND GO HUNT.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who would be a good person to install a recoil pad and what type of pad should I install?
thanks
george

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
gi:

I would recommend JJ at Champlins. He did my pad. The fit of my Merkel was perfect before I sent it to JJ. I had JJ cut the stock to keep the LOP the same with the new recoil pad.

The gun still fits me like a glove.

Forgive me, but I forget what recoil pad he put on it. I assume it's his standard pad as I did not specify any particular brand, other than I wanted it in black.

Hope this helps.

P.s., I would suggest ONLY sending it (for ANY work) to a gunsmith who knows about DRs. JJ is the man of my choice.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gi,
I have used JJ Perodeau for work on my doubles and on my wifes drilling. He put leather covered recoil pads on both of my doubles, and bent the stock on one of them. Top notch work.

PS He bent the stock on purpose. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
PS He bent the stock on purpose. Big Grin

rotflmo clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure your scope has plenty of eye relief - either use a VERY old model Weaver (series 60Aor earlier) or a Leupold 1.5-5x.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
I am in the process of trying to buy a 470 NE on gun broker, does anyone have scopes mounted on doubles, i am 59 and have not shot open sights in 35 years, will try sights before I do anything about a scope.
thanks
george

If it was me I wouldn't scope a double in that caliber. I have a Searcy 500NE and am a bit older than you and have trouble seeing the rear sight, front sight and target all at once. Can only manage 2 out of 3 these days, and that doesn't make for very accurate bullet placement.

I went with a ghost ring/peep sight rear sight and it works great for me. While not as precise as a scope it's good enough for close (100 yd.) work and is a hell of a lot faster (for me) than trying to line up express sights.

Hope this info helps.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 52 and have had to face the same issue. I think I have it solved. I tried using my pistol glasses with a +1.0 diopter in the right lense. No good for hunting. I had a set of glasses made with a bifocal on the top of the right lense, and it works great for pistol and rifle shooting with open sights. This is called a reverse bifocal. You can hunt and use your normal correction in the rest of the lense (none, in my case) but when you assume a shooting position the sights are in focus. There's a company that advertises in SCI that specializes in these, but I'm at work and can't remember the name.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just remembered. The company name is Decot. Their website is http://www.sportglasses.com
So far I am impressed with the concept and product. A local optician could probably make something similst for you, but I like the adjustable nosepiece on Decot's fram, which lets me position the bifocal where I want it elevation wise.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't listen to the "purists" here. Make your gun comfortable for you. Take a look at some of the red dot options. They are very effective. Talk to Mark Cromwell of NECG. I know he has installed quite a few Trijicon Reflex sights successfully on doubles. Remember the golden rule: "your gold your rules"!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why add a scope to a .470???

Just buy the .470 at www.hallowellco.com that already has German claw mounts and a scope.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps because this rifle above is nearly three times the cost of the used Merkel that he is thinking about modifying. Wink I think I would buy that $6500 Merkel and just go hunting!

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Suhler einhaksmontage -German claw mount's is the only option in my opinion concerning scope mounts on a double. No mount is beeter or looks better!

On the scope side, have a look after a Helia Super 1,5 - 4,5. These scopes has steel tubes so you can have your gunsmith solder "half moon" scope rings for the claw mount.

My gunsmith are mounting such a scope on my Janssen Sons & Co in Jeffery's Triple Three caliber right now. thumb

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
husky
Is your 333 Jeffery double Flanged or Rimless.
Do you shoot 250 or 300 grain bullets in it.
A scoped 333 Jeffery.... Nice double for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Merkel and I am sure I will be happy with it. I should receive it next week, I have not been able to locate reloading dies for it yet, I will call RCBS & Hornady.
Has anyone used the 500 gr Woodleigh soft point on cape buffalo, how did they perform?
I want to thank everyone on the thread for all the help everyone has given me, guiding me to the purchase I just made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gi
I used a 480 Woodleigh Soft on a buff at @12 yards from my 450 No2. It hit on the shoulder, knocked a big hole in the heart and was stopped just under the skin on the opposite side. A perfect mushroom. The buff still ran @ 150 yards in the thick. 2 solids did the finishing.
On another buff 2 500 gr. gr Swift A Frames were shot and recovered, both went through the heart, both expanded perfectly.

For any Nitro Express Woodleigh Softs, backed up by Woodleigh Solids are perfect for buff.
The Woodleigh solids worked perfect on elephants as well.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
gi,
I have used a Merkel 470NE on Foxes, Goats, Pigs, Klipspringer and two Cape Buffalo with hand loads using 500grn Woodligh softs and solids and Norma Brass, all with good results.
Adam C.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
husky
Is your 333 Jeffery double Flanged or Rimless.
Do you shoot 250 or 300 grain bullets in it.
A scoped 333 Jeffery.... Nice double for sure.

Hi,
The caliber is the Flanged version of the "Triple Three". I don't know with wich bullet weight that it was regulated with as there are no information on the rifle. But I will shoot it with 300 grains bullets at app. 2150 fps. As the scope mount can inflict the regulation, my gunsmith will regulate it if nessecary with my loads.

I have tried Norma 204 powder, but didn't get any good results so after recommendations from Norma, I will go for the MRP powder instead.

The Triple Three togheter with a 450/470 or 500 double would be an interesting pair for all Africa has to offer (short of Namibian Gemsbok hunts).

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Husky
Sounds like a nice double.
I too would go with the 300 grain bullet in the 333 Flanged.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Be careful when you install a recoil pad on a Merkel. The Merkel 470 I have has/had a solid metal weight in the throughbolt hole held in to stock by a wood screw tab arrangement. When you cut stock and install the recoil pad you have to put the weight back in and use the wood screw attachment. Only problem is that the Decellerator is hollow and there is no support for end ofweight. After 10 rounds the wood screw sheared and weight was loose in the hole. Actually bulged the pad where it tore out the inside ribs of the pad. Simple to remove the weight and I have just left it out. If you are going to reinstall the weight after cutting and installing a pad I would suggest you install a hard rubber spacer BETWEEN the stock and pad to keep weight from shearing the screw. ANY GOOD gunsmith should be able to install a pad with little trouble and any gunsmith that sells many pads will have the hard rubber spacers available in several thicknesses. I may have the pad removed and a 1/8" spacer put in and reinstall the weight and try it. I'm 72 and wear tri-focals and actually find the Merkel square notch/post front easier than others to see. I can manage everything in 3" at 50 yds which is adequate for Ele. I don't shoot it at 100 yds period.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information on the recoil pad. I will have it installed by the person that everyone recommends, JJ. While thinking about a scope on 470, I am really thinking about 200 yard shots on the whitetail deer I hunt. I know that 100 yards is a long shot on cape buffalo, I know I can do it with open sights. I am used to shooting groups under 1" @ 100 yards, a double is not this kind of gun.
I will be happy with 2 or 3" groups at 50 yds.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
"If you put a scope on a .470 NE DR, I'm going to shoot you"

"i'd put scopes on my eyes before i'd disgrace a double with a scope.......blasphemous, just blasphemous"

Don't think its that bad, but..... Confused Congratulations on the new double. You are going to love it!

I am 64, and have worn glasses since I was 13. Before you scope the 470, try working with the open sights or some of the lense ideas presented by other members.

I use Woodlieghs in my 470 with excellent results. I have used solids and the weldcore soft points. See pictures below.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grain.. I took your advice and bought the Austrian scoped 470 that you have in your post. It should come to Gallensons in a day or so. How many DR shooters are there in SLC?

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote