Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice on factory 9.3x74
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I have a pre-war german double in 9.3x74. I just had a scope installed on the claw bases by NECG. The rifle shoots 2" groups at 50 yards with the S&B factory load, but the barrels cross. I haven't ever handloaded so I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with the 9.3x74 factory loads to recommend which one I should try next (or I could just buy as many factory loads as possible and try them all....)

The proof marks don't indicate a bullet weight. Interestingly, the 286 gr S&B loads are about a quarter inch too long to fit in the cartridge trap in the stock. I wonder if this was a sign that lighter buller were used to regulate the rifle. Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks-

Posts: 19 | Location: idaho | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are really really sure that is a x74R and not a x72R?

A 267 or even 232 grains bullet that is the other two bullets weights there were back that are not a whole 1/4 of an inch shorter than a 286 grain bullet.

My advice sieze all shooting until you are certain by haveing a chamber cast done that you do have a x74R, if you already are sure, letters requesting regulation info should be sent out.

A lighter bullet would leave the barrel faster and sooner in the recoil movement hence that would make is cross the barrels even more, however I am poorly skilled in the art of relugating a double, others will chime in on this.

But please be careful with that old piece, make them last by caring for them.

Best regards Chris

posted Hide Post
I have done a chamber cast and it is x74R, in addition the proof marks say "8,9 mm" while a x72R will often have the caliber marked as 8,8 and sometimes have x72, per my reading.

The cartridge trap is a real puzzle to me. Honestly I haven't measured whether the bullets are too long by exactly 1/4 or 3/16 . . . . and I am traveling for the next month so I won't be able to check it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HB01:
I have done a chamber cast and it is x74R, in addition the proof marks say "8,9 mm" while a x72R will often have the caliber marked as 8,8 and sometimes have x72, per my reading.

Say WHAT??
Since WHEN has 9,3 been 8,9mm?
Have a look at the data provided by GS Bullets.
I'd be very worried, indeed, to put 9,3mms to a 8,9mm proofmarked gun!
For the 9,3x74R the CIP measure is 9,30mm for the bullet; and 9,00 and 9,28 mm for the barrel (bore and groove).

How clear is the marking, could it possible be something else point nine, not 8?
7,9mm I could buy, i.e. J caliber 8mm.

Despite your having casted the chamber, could it be 8x72R (the bullet is the J bullet in 7,9mm)?
Are there other caliber markings on it?

For sure I have heard pretty much only of 289 and 250grs bullets for the 9,3mms.
I have a vague recollection of reading about 230grs but I have not found any modern ones in that weight so it would sound a tad odd to me.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To further add to all the confucions that I now have started,

There have been quite a few 9 mm rifled calibers in germany to,

9x57 and most rest assured others as well.

8,9 mm on the tops of the rifling, that equals a engraving of the rifling of .2 mm in the side of the bullet, seems kind of a lot.

Still as stated above, heavier/slower load to undue the cross shooting

/C

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Schauckis,
The 8,8 and 8,9 diameter are the bore size before they rifle it with grooves.. Ib have several 9.3's with this stamped on them.
The 8mm's are similarly stamped smaller 7,7 and 7,8 IIRC.
It's just the old way.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aha.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HB01

I have shot quite a bit of game with a 9,3x74R double. It is one of the best hunting calibres on the Planet. Especially in a scoped double. thumb

Just because your double crosses with S&B 286 gr does not mean it will cross with other 286gr factory loads. I have killed deer and wild pigs with the S&B load and it works great. [In truth ALL the factory loads I have used kill great.]

Just try as many factory loads as you can untill you find the one your double likes the best.

I have shot deer and wild pigs with the Norma 232gr Vulcan and it works great, so try it too.

Give the Hornady load a try as well, it worked good in a pig I shot.

My favorite bullets for the 9,3x74R double are the 286gr Woodleigh Soft and Solid, and the 286gr Nosler Partition. In my handloads they do about 2250, and have killed everything up to and including giraffe, cape buff and elephant.

The most accurate ammo I have fired in my Chapuis are the Superior Ammo loads with the 286 Woodleigh Soft and Solids, and the 286 Nosler Partitions.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was hoping someone would have some experience! thanks