New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Shot, One Boar
 Login/Join

<xs headspace>
posted
Treated meself to a boar hunt at Wild Hill Preserve in VT for a 70th BD present, and took my 45-100 home built DR along. Waited for the beast to turn broadside, so I didn't waste any meat. At 40 yds, it was like The Fist of God hit him. 350 gr Hornady at about 2300 fps. Nice place, they have 2000 acres inside the fence, with red deer, buffalo and some other beasts roaming around, besides the boar. Hope this photo works..... [/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
XS-

Here's a fix for that photo.

Great Boar!

I'm happy for you to see that rifle out in the field with a pool of blood to it's account.
I bet you're as thrilled as can be.

What powder did you settle on?
Did you recover the bullet?
Did you ever get the headspace issues sorted?

Are you going to build another one?
Aaaannnd...

How about some more photos of the rifle!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and I hope some part of that boar ends up on your holiday table - either today or in December.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here -- I picked into your public account and got these as a reminder to the crew of the work you went through to get this one together...

You have something to be thankful for today, and a nice rifle to be proud of!!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Where's the pig?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what happened there, was working the first time.
Hopefully this last edit will stick.

Cheers
Tinker

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a very nice boar. I like that rifle.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Thanks for the photo fix!!! The load was 76 gr 4064, and a 350 gr RN Hornady. No, the bullet went through---it was a lung shot. One of my slabs of bacon that I smoked has a 3" hole in it, the other slab has a .45" hole in it. There is no headspace problem, the cases start stretching above the 76 gr load, so the action springs a bit, then. Still tight to the face--a .002" shim on the case head will cause the lever to no fully center. Velocity is about 2300 fps. PS: The preserve owner has a 20 ga brass case, necked down to about .60 caliber with a bullet that looks lathe turned in it. He said that a client built a DR and shot a boar with this, so there's somebody out there that is crazier than I am. Anybody know of this caliber??

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great for you .. nice looking rifle... lol, even if its still not a 45/120

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One shot ? Why do you need a double ? Roll Eyes
Lots of good eating there , good job ! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

For the piggy AND the lovely rifle work! Very, VERY well done Smiler Congratulations indeed!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
XS, either you're 4'8" tall, or that's a VERY hefty Hog !!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking piece; what are the two little screws/pins in the front of the wedge for? What action did you use? Oh, nice hog too.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Hog ! All that hard work looks like it paid off !

I am a tool maker, not a gun maker. I have a healthy admiration for anyone that builds their own!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Nice rifle and nice pig.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great b-day gift to self. Nice boar, congrats!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that - it's an inspiration!

Wild Hill is very nice - I live within 25 miles of it and just a few days ago went hunting there (in cold rain) but not with a DG - yet!

Thanks again!

Oxon

<xs headspace>
posted
The action is a 1970s Merkel 12 ga. The two 4-40 setscrews are for fine tuning the regulation. The left barrel is not soldered beyond the sling swivel block, so it can be slightly sprung out/in/up/down with the setscrews. The screws have 4 flats around their points, where the barrel bears against, so as to hold the settings without loc-tite. Seems to be working. 100lbs of pork in de freezer!