New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPR Iron sight question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just received one of these from my dealer today. First impression is it is ceretaintly worth the money!
Triggers, while they have a long long pull break at about 5-6 pounds. Not to bad actually. But the one area where this rifle needs work is a higher rear and front sight. Pressing down my cheek to the comb I find it next to imposssible to have a good sight picture.
Any suggestions for changing out the front and rear sights with something higher?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a NECG rear peep madee for the ruger rifles, it will mount to the SPR rail almost perfect, big improvement over stock sight

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
If you don't like peep sights, check out Lyman's 16AML folding leaf. It is made to fit European dovetails and is a perfect fit in the Baikal. Mainly found at muzzleloader shops to fit Italian-made muzzleloaders.

For great info on front sights and on trigger work, see this AR thread:

http://tinyurl.com/y928okx

Tom thumb

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. How much higher is the Lyman sight? Seems I need something about 1/4 inch higher to start with.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Here is the info on the sight from Lyman's web site:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/l...s/hunting-sights.php

Tom wave

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we on our own to design a front bead by hand?

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
YUP.

The front sight is a SKS sight and I, at least, can't find a suitable replacement. I've thought about making a threaded rod base like the current sight then center-drilling that and adding a real ivory bead available from Brownells.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

http://tinyurl.com/yhbdl5c

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. I need to place an order with Brownells soon and will add that to the list.
Have you installed the bead yet?

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I don't find the OEM front sight that obnoxious. Weird, yes. Also, a glitch. I REALLY looked into the ivory bead last night and I suspect that, even at 4mm, it is going to be too large to give rifle accuracy. Probably need something half that size. On the other hand, Brownells has tons of different beads.

Tom

PS. Have another brainstorm. Will let you know results.

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
raamw:

What fitting is necessary to use the NECG Ruger peep sight--any??

Thanks,
Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock on the rifle has less drop than the shotgun stocks, its made more for use with a scope than open sights, at least on the 30-06 don't know about the 45-70. I milled through the front sight and installed a long high front ramp to keep it from looking so high then made a new rear sight to match the the front. The only other solution is to use a shotgun stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May try filing a shallow "V" into the Lyman sight and then using a small bead up front. But I also plan on ordering a set of rings for the ramp to put either a 2x scope or a red dot on it for grins.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too found the sights on my 30-06 unusable. I've ended up making several different sights for it and my 45-70.

The easiest way to correct the sight problem is:
the folding Lyman and a 6mm rod threaded to the base. I've used steel, brass and aluminium. The last two because I was getting tired of cutting steel.

I've since made more advanced front sights and may still have a couple of the older "rod" type. If I can find them, I'll be happy to share. I would also be willing to turn and thread a rod for anybody the board.

Mike

Posts: 32 | Location: Washington, USA | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:

They won't let you in w/o being a member.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrJudgeOC:
I too found the sights on my 30-06 unusable. I've ended up making several different sights for it and my 45-70.

The easiest way to correct the sight problem is:
the folding Lyman and a 6mm rod threaded to the base. I've used steel, brass and aluminium. The last two because I was getting tired of cutting steel.

I've since made more advanced front sights and may still have a couple of the older "rod" type. If I can find them, I'll be happy to share. I would also be willing to turn and thread a rod for anybody the board.

Mike

In another posting, you advised you found the front sight was M6x0.5. I cannot find ANY source for that thread pattern, even McMaster-Carr. Metric fine is M6x1.0. Is the M6x0.5 possibly a typo?

Thanks,
Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this will work, this is a 45-70 http://www.hunt1 [URL= ] [URL= ] [/URL] 01.com/data/500/medium/P9040004.JPG[/img]] [/URL]

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sgt Brown,

It is M6x0.5, A M6x1 is too course. I don't remember exactly where I found the die, but it was in NYC and english was their second language. Let me do some digging and see if I can find it. The quality was not great and I ended up having to get a second one from them. Their customer service was good, however.

Mike

Posts: 32 | Location: Washington, USA | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't fiddled with the front sight yet, but this is what I have started with for the rear:
WGRS-54

It does require a little fitting and a taller front sight, but it is much cheaper than the NECG setup.

Of course I too have been looking for M6x0.5 threaded rod without much luck, but I did find some plastic replacement sights for AK's and SKS's that are about 3x the lenght of the factory front post.

Once deer season is over I plan to finish this project.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Willams sight is nice! When you mention it required a little fitting what exactly was required? In case you missed it, one of the forum members tried this and said it works great as well:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/...gh_11mm_Dovetail/636

Still havent fired mine yet as it would be useless with that factory iron sight. Gonna put a scope on it before proceeding and make sure everythng works ok before investing the time to get irons dialed in.

Where did you find the plastic sights for the AK's?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look for my PM Snowwolfe. I might have the answer.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, but doubt it would fit inbetween the barrels.

Am thinking the easiest solution is to simply retap the front hole into a standard size and just reshape a threaded piece of metal with a round head on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The grooves on the sight needed a little filing to open them up a bit. The dovetail on the gun is slightly too wide to mate with the sight (probably a 3/8" vs 11mm dovetail).

I used a triangular file (and a hacksaw blade believe it or not) to open up the notches on both sides. File a bit, try to fit it on, file a bit more, try again. The sight is aluminum so it's a pretty easy process. I'm no gunsmith and was able to fit it in about 20 mins. Williams even mentions this is a likely requirement with this sight since it is made for "most 22LR dovetails".

The only other change I made was to buy a longer set screw at the hardware store. Mounting the sight over the indentation on the dovetail, the factory set screw almost threaded out the bottom of the sight. Got one a mm or two longer and all was well.

I also have that scope mount and it works great! My plan was to use the scope for load development and regulation, and then switch to the peep sight for actual field use (thick cover, still hunting/stalking).

I found the plastic front sights at a local gun show. Any of the AK/SKS tables would have them.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote