New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle crown
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going through my neglected gun safes and doing some maintenance and cleaning. Checking out my doubles I am reminded of a design difference in my 2 doubles one modern one a hundred years old. The Merkel has zero muzzle crown completely flat face of metal in the white. While the Wilkinson has some very substantial muzzle crowns to protect the bore. I assume there is a reason besides cost? Granted the Wilkinson has thicker barrel metal but still think it would be a good idea on a working double that may see hard use. Like my Wilkinson has…?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No difference except maker choice. As long as they are uniform, crowns mean nothing. We only have them to protect the rifling at the muzzle when you drop the rifle on the rocks. Otherwise, there is no need for one.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer them for exactly that reason. In fact I think every other rifle I own has one.

Is there a reason they leave the entire face of the muzzle end of the double in the white? It’s a merkel

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is common on all custom and all the double rifles that I know of; because you don't want to get the rust bluing solution in the bore at all; so we polish the muzzles because they can't be blued.
All commercial rifle barrels are crowned to protect the rifling from when idiots set the muzzle down on a rock. Yes, I have seen them to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for the info!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And of course, Military rifles, with which they may not have a choice but to hit a rock. Even tank cannon barrels are crowned. With an angle, and flat muzzle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 types I see are recessed and angle. My Wilkinson is angled lots of my sporting rifles are recessed

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you have also seen the radiused crown too. Those are the most common on bolts. Recessed crowns, more on target rifles, but some on hunting ones. Angled type are not common on bolt actions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im with DPCD, its not important, Ive never dropped a muzzle down on a rock, if falling I held the gun to hit right after I bounecd by hide off the rock, never sacrificed my gun!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah they are radius or rounded on some bolts but the Wilkinson is an angle. Interesting
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I'm sure you have also seen the radiused crown too. Those are the most common on bolts. Recessed crowns, more on target rifles, but some on hunting ones. Angled type are not common on bolt actions.

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it can't hurt, so why not, its just another no brainer IMO..I don't care one way or the other and its never been a problem, but like I said it cant hurt a thing.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote