THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    searching for a double 375 or 416 or 458
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

searching for a double 375 or 416 or 458
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello friends and happy new year.
I´m searching for a second hand express in Europe to be imported to Spain. Also a good drilling.
Any clue will be wellcome ;-)

best regards and good hunting

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CZ sold a 458 OU, that was made in Europe. not clue as to current status

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you very much for the info, will check.

best regards and good shooting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the deal f the century if you can stand OU DRs

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...sp?hierarchyId=11651

Rifle would cost more than 25,000 EUR to order new

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems to be a beutiful weapon but I really love side by side rifle and, in this case, is too much money for buying something you dont really love.
Behind I dont think cabela will sell guns abroad. Anyway, is always a pleasure to have a look at those magnificent weapons.

Good hunting and happy new year

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spanishhunter:
Hello friends and happy new year.
I´m searching for a second hand express in Europe to be imported to Spain. Also a good drilling.
Any clue will be wellcome ;-)

best regards and good hunting

Contact Euroguns@aol.com. We are US firearms importer. We have shippped rifle directly from the factory in France or Germany to a Spanish buyer.

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi I know of a 375 westley Richards Droplock 1920's that is for sale. and this one is curently in france. with large scroll and a big rhino on the bottom, barrels are good, and it is 100% collors left of the collorcase hardening.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Spanishhunter, I don't know much about the things that people like in a double rifle in Spain, but, in the states, you would be able to buy double rifles chambered for those cartridges considerably cheaper than the more traditional flanged chamberings found in most double rifles.
Most people here that are serious about hunting animals that require cartridges like the 458 Win Mag are not prone to buy a double rifle chambered for a rimless, or belted rimless cartridge in a double rifle. Most of the very fine, and strong double rifles sold in the USA, and that are chambered for 458 Win Mag, are re-chambered to one of the .450 flanged cartridges like the 450NE 3.5", the 450#2NE, and re-regulated in necessary. The ones chambered for 375H&H belted mag are hard to sell here, because very few want a double rifle that will be used for dangerous game chambered for a rimless cartridge. So, what I'm saying is if those are the chamberings you want, you should be able to make a good deal on price from an American dealer, because they are hard to sell here, and usually sell for considerably lower prices here!

..................... thumb Good luck!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree a bit with the assertion that a .375H&H double is difficult to sell in America. I have my personal rifle in .375H&H. I have sold a lot of double, and many of them in .375H&H. Over the past 10 years I have sold only one .375 Flanged, and that was a special order on a very high end krieghoff. I certain agree a rimmed cartridge is better. But in .375 the H&H is pretty widely available.

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Mac, I hope to find a good double at a good price in one of those calibers.
In Spain things are similar as in the States so they are not appreciating too much a double in 375, or under 450, but I do. I think is enought and efficient for big game.
Thanks also to Mouse93 and Charles for your recomendations, will also check that.

best regards

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Prince:
I have to disagree a bit with the assertion that a .375H&H double is difficult to sell in America. I have my personal rifle in .375H&H. I have sold a lot of double, and many of them in .375H&H. Over the past 10 years I have sold only one .375 Flanged, and that was a special order on a very high end krieghoff. I certain agree a rimmed cartridge is better. But in .375 the H&H is pretty widely available.

Charles, a full 90% of the double rifles chambered for rimless, or belted rimless in dangerous game chamberings are sold to first time double rifle buyers, who don't know better, and those are usually on the used gun market shortly, because they can't make them shoot properly with their handloads, being used to loading for bolt rifles, or if the cheaper brands,and even many very expensive brands, have some extraction/ejection problems at the wrong time!

I can guarintee you, if Hornady started makeing a good supply of 375H&H flanged componants, and factory ammo, nobody who knew anything about double rifles would ever buy a rimless 375 H&H double again. The Merkel 416 Rigby, and 375H&H doubles do not sell well, but if Merkel changed to the 375Fl, and the 450/400NE 3",or 500/416, they would sell a ton of them in no time! I'd be the first one in line for a 375FL magnum, and a 450/400NE 3" in a heartbeat! I'm afraid my 470NE, would be for sale as soon as I found out they were coming down the line!

Many folks have rimless double rifles that haven't given them a problem.........YET! However, with Mr. Murphy being the sneaky dud he is, when it does happen, it will likely be at the most inoportune time! Eeker

However, if the rimless/belted rimless double rifle floats you dug-out, pole on! Roll Eyes

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac very interesting what you said about murpeys law and the ejection of mag cartridges.
and there is for sure more parts in the luggers that has to eject a mag cart than a flanged one. and this is the reason why the english guntrade mainly prefare double triggers to singles. its less parts that can breake. but if the murphys law is the reason for not bying a 375 mag then I dont thik you should bye anyway, because then the mainspring is probably also due to snap at the moment the charge of the buffalo ect ect. I am totally agree with you that a Flanged verson et a better option than a mag one. of the simple fact that the luggers have a bigger surface to grab the cartridge and kick it out and there are as I said less parts to fuck up. But it is made properly i would have no problem bying a mag cartridge for a double.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shultz&larsen:
Mac very interesting what you said about murpeys law and the ejection of mag cartridges.
and there is for sure more parts in the luggers that has to eject a mag cart than a flanged one. and this is the reason why the english guntrade mainly prefare double triggers to singles. its less parts that can breake. but if the murphys law is the reason for not bying a 375 mag then I dont thik you should bye anyway, because then the mainspring is probably also due to snap at the moment the charge of the buffalo ect ect. I am totally agree with you that a Flanged verson et a better option than a mag one. of the simple fact that the luggers have a bigger surface to grab the cartridge and kick it out and there are as I said less parts to fuck up. But it is made properly i would have no problem bying a mag cartridge for a double.

Shultz&Larsen, That is your right to buy what ever you want, as it is Spanishhunter's.

All I'm saying is that no matter how you feel about a certain aspect of a double rifle you want to buy, this changes nothing. There are things that are good, and things that are better; there are things that are prone to breakage, and things that are less prone to breakage. In this case the extraction/ejection tools for a rimless cartridge in a double rifle are one that is more problematic, than one designed for flanged cartridges. The triggers are the same if both barrels depend on one trigger, and it goes south, then the rifle is now a club, not a rifle. With two triggers, if one breaks, or anything in one side of the rifle breaks, the rifle becomes a working single shot.

Both types may work flawlessly, for years, but why take the chance when it cost no more to avoid the weaker of the two in the first place?
I'm not a king, and I never would assume that anyone be in the position that they were required to follow my advice. The choice is theirs to make not mine, but when asked, I will always tell them what I believe to be the better of any two selections in my opinion. I believe I would be remiss in my duty to do otherwise.

This is only my opinion, and not incumbent on anyone to accept, or reject that opinion in favor of their own, or that of someone else.

Here is my opinion of a properly set-up double rifle that will be used for dangerous game.

No1 The double rifle should be a side by side rather than an over/under! and weighed properly for the chambering it houses!

No2 It must be chambered for a flanged cartridge that is sufficient to handle the game one will be hunting with it.

No3 It must have two separate triggers, because the safest, and most reliable double rifle is what amounts to two completely independent single shot rifles on the same stock. If anything on one side breaks, it has no effect on the other side of the rifle at all. With one side out of service, you still have a working single shot rifle.

No4 It must have a manual safety (non-auto safety) In this case the Krieghoff combi system is good, and about the safest system ever for a hammerless double rifle. Unlike the S2 Blaser, the krieghoff re-cocks its self on opening after firing; the Blaser does not, and is therefore unsafe IMO! The manual safety is a must on a double rifle used for a stopping rifle. The auto safety on a double rifle makes no more sense that an auto safety on a bolt rifle that engages the safety every time one works the bolt.

No5 The rifle absolutely must fit the shooter, and be balanced at the same time with 1/3rd the weight between the hands, and slightly more butt heavy than barrels. And when mounted with eyes closed, on opening the eyes the sights should be lined up. Additionally, I want quality iron sights on any rifle I hunt with. The addition of a scope sight, in proper QD rings and bases, is a valuable option in some cases, but must be mounted properly, or it will be worthless.

With the greatest number of these five conditions, the better the rifle will work when things get hot, and heavy at close quarters with a BITE-BACK! Personally I want them all! However I can live fine with ejectors, or extractors, it doesn't matter to me.

Any time I'm asked those will be my recommendations. Whether one accepts them is entirely their affair! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE BELTED VERSUS FLANGED ARGUMENT WILL GO ON FOREVER.

DO YOU REALLY THINK HOLLAND & HOLLAND AND OTHER "BEST" MAKERS WOULD OFFER THE BELTED CHAMBERING IF THE EXTRACTION/EJECTION WAS UNRELIABLE ?

THIS IS AN OLD ARGUMENT DATING BACK TO THE 20'S OR 30'S .

THE KNOW IT ALLS ARE POSITIVE FLANGED EXTRACTS BETTER..... THIS IS FROM THE ERA WHEN THIN BRASS AND HOT TEMPERATURES CAUSED SHELLS TO STICK.
COME INTO THE 21ST CENTURY. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD A SHELL STICK IN YOUR DOUBLE ? AND WHAT CAUSED IT ?? PROBABLY A HOT HANDLOAD.

LOSE YOUR FLANGED SHELLS AND TRY TO REPLACE THEM IN AFRICA. GOOD LUCK !

IF THE "OLD WAYS " AND OLD THINKING WAS THE BEST
THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS. ONLY STAGNATION.

BEFORE CRITICIZING THE BELTED CASE OWN ONE AND SEE HOW WELL IT WORKS IF BUILT BY A RELAIBLE ENGLISH OR GERMAN MAKER.

ALTHO YOU WOULD BE ASHAMED TO ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG YOUR OWNING ONE WOULD PROVE IT TO YOU
THAT THE BELTED IS A RELIABLE DOUBLE RIFLE CHAMBERING.

AND A PERFECT ONE TO HAVE SCOPED BECAUSE OF ITS RANGE. THE KAHLES MULTI ZERO SCOPE IS PERFECT FOR A 375

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tomo577 has "a few" new .375 Belted Magnum Merkel doubles for sale here Wink:

http://www.gunsinternational.c...59523&string=cid=106
-----------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote