quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Doc:

PM sent.

Response sent.

tu2 tu2 tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
A scoped 375 is your best bet! You'll never need anything else. No one can shoot anything larger very well. NO ONE!

Todd,

You are right of course. Might as well give away my 600Nitro, 600 OK, the 500s, 450s, etc. CRYBABY

Doc - I have room in my gun safe for ONE MORE double, just in case you need some help?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
quote:
A scoped 375 is your best bet! You'll never need anything else. No one can shoot anything larger very well. NO ONE!

Todd,

You are right of course. Might as well give away my 600Nitro, 600 OK, the 500s, 450s, etc. CRYBABY

Doc - I have room in my gun safe for ONE MORE double, just in case you need some help?

Butt out Aaron, I spoke for them first!! hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
quote:

Todd,

Butt out Aaron, I spoke for them first!! hilbily

Ya that's true, sorry!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Aaron, I just responded to your PM. Please tell me more!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen,
Being the concerned and caring guy that I am, I have decided that I must keep all of my over .375 big bores if only to protect all of you from the potential danger they pose.

Plus ... I just truly and heartily enjoy shooting them ... Big Grin

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well gentlemen,
Being the concerned and caring guy that I am, I have decided that I must keep all of my over .375 big bores if only to protect all of you from the potential danger they pose.

Plus ... I just truly and heartily enjoy shooting them ... Big Grin

CRYBABY

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:

Bullet! Oh my, here is where we as big bore shooters are blessed from the heavens! Is there any consideration beyond a BBW#13? Get real!

Have I not read the thread properly or is it all over? Has worry about delamination been put to rest? As I recall, H&H didn't even like solids put through their doubles.

Posts: 5107 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feel like I really came late to this party. Don't know the BBW from the CEB's but can someone please inform me as to the following questions:

1. I'm using Woodleigh's in my .500 NE and .475 No 2. (.483). Will the BBW 13 (or CEB)be safe in my vintage WR .500 and John Wilkes .475? Are these the solids to take on my ele hunt with CMS in August?

2. Where can I purchase these projectiles?

Thanking you in advance,

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Dutch,

I don't think anyone can or will tell you what is safe or not. The barrel strain tests that Michael458 and srose are doing and have posted on here and in a few other threads demonstrate equally low or lower strain values in Sam's 500NE and in his 470NE than Woodleigh softs and solids.

I think you have to decide whether that data is conclusive enough for your use.

As far as where to buy them, Google "Cutting Edge Bullets" and you will find their website - you can buy them directly.

I don't have vintage doubles but in my modern doubles I am and will continue to use CEB bullets for everything given Michael and Sam's work, the results Michael, Sam and many of others have had on DG and my own experience on leopard and elephant.

Good luck on your upcoming safari!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch44,

Where have you been all this time?

Take a look at the Double Rifle Bullet of the Future thread to see the work Michael and I have done with the 470 on bullet barrel strain. Also the thread called 500 Nitro New Exploration.
As far as the BBW#13 being safer than bullets you are using now that is your call to make. The BBW#13 NE bullet was designed for doubles and I think you will be happy with this bullet in a double and on dangerous game. If you have any trouble finding the information you need feel free to PM me with your questions.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I concur with what Paul said. Safe or not is for you to determine.

But, Sam and Michael have done extensive work on barrel strain and the CEB's are consistently lower than the Woodleighs. Especially the FMJ.

I've switched from Barnes to CEB in my doubles and have been very happy with them. There are some situations where I still prefer the TSX however and will not hesitate to shoot that bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam:
Since I had laid up a supply of the .510 Woodleighs, and the tenor of the conversation was technical, I had just passed it over. (Technical stuff frightens and confuses me!) But now I just put in a call to CEB and am awaiting a call back to discuss and order. Hope they will consider the .475 No. 2 for future production. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch44,

Dan I'm sure will be glad to make you some bullets for that 475No2. Is it .482 or .488?

Sent you a PM.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam:
Just talked to him. They have made a special order batch for the .487 diameter (.475 No. 2 Jeffrey) but no .483's. That being said Dave told me he would make a minimum order of 252 BBW's in either solids or hollow points or a mix in .475 No. 2 (.483').

Anyone want to share an order? Would help defray some of the costs. Michael J...you interested?

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dilemma has been resolved...a VC 577 will be here shortly. :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Hooray!!! tu2

A new ultrabore for me to play with!!! beer

I miss my 600s ... CRYBABY My AHR 600OK in the hands of Dave Dunn at Trop Gun Word and my V-C 600NE on its way back from the SCI were it was showcased.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here you go Doc. All you need to know about bong water:

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Damn coffee through my nose ...

Funny as hell ...

Wait, I think I grew up with those kids ...

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Biebs, please hang on to this one for a while. I really want to shoot it. Big Grin

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do. It just might have a few Elephant "notches" in the stock by the time you make it out here. :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I had fondled your rifle several times at the SCI show. But as they say, what happens in Vegas ...

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paul,

I had fondled your rifle several times at the SCI show. But as they say, what happens in Vegas ...

shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, Biebs great thread starter !

Thanks for raising the debate and generating all of the interesting and varied perspectives of many experienced DR users and DG hunters.

I have really enjoyed the varied responses, some balanced purely on the side of practicality, others succumbing to what most of us suffer from; the cool factor.

I made my own decision recently (at D.S.C) and went with practicality, ordering the round body V.C .500 @ 10.5lbs.
In the lead-up to this decision I had discussed this very issue with Ken as he had a .577 there ready to be picked up by someone.

The need for me to have to carry for weeks on end swayed me. Also the reality that I may be just beyond my effectiveness level in terms of recoil made my head rule above my heart.

The fact that we now have wonderful bullets that drag some calibers slightly beyond their traditional performance perameters certainly helps (thanks to Mike, Sam and C.E.B !).

But boy oh boy wouldn't a 577 be neat !!

Congrats on your purchase.

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanks. The 500 NE for sure if the best caliber in a double rifle for dangerous game, but Ken just happened to have a customer offer up a nice 577 at the right time, and so the rest is history! Maybe after a few Elephant and Cape Buffalo, I'll be looking to swap with you, or maybe buy a set of wheels for this one. :-)

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Just remember Biebs... You're getting OLD and your bones are getting brittle! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, 59 is the new 39!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can make a scabbard to fit on your walker?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the one you'll be pushing me in! :-)