THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Holland & Holland Round Action
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland & Holland Round Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

I am considering to get a H&H DR. Is Holland & Holland Round Action worth $100,000? Your comment will be highly appreciate.

Thorns in fingers and hands, cuts in arms and legs, blisters in feets, happiness in me.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Not sure but if I had that cash I would look at a McKay & Brown Eeker

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
You and me both Smiler

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a David McKay Brown bolt rifle...one of only 2 that they built on Win Model 70 actions.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Not sure but if I had that cash I would look at a McKay & Brown Eeker

True splinter fore-ends on those round body actions! Looks good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, they are not. I don't for a moment suggest that it's a bad design but it sure is...less than elegant! The problem H&H face is that they have to fork out a VERY big wad of cash annually just to be able stay in their Bruton Street premises and there's only one way that's ever going to be recovered - by getting it from selling stuff at inflated prices.

To be honest, I'm not wild about H&H quality of late. I recently handled one of the Centenary Edition .375 H&H bolt-actions and I'm 100% certain that it's one of the worst bolt-actions I've ever seen. The wood was steam-dried and green. GREEN. The chequering I could have done - atrocious. It did not have an ounce of engraving on it except for the serial number, it was hot blued (after suffering through the embraces of a buffing wheel...), and, worst of the worst, it was proofed in 2010. They didn't even have the class to have it proofed in the right year but merely took a barrelled action from stock and went with that. Not what I would call your average 20 000 pound gun.

They may lavish a bit more attention on their double guns and rifles, I don't know, but the vintage H&H is the only way to go for me. Feel free to disagree.

Much the same with Clode after he recently fired 100% of his skilled workforce (including his daughter) as a result of a petty wage dispute. All Westley's at this time will be made in the trade as he doesn't have any other choice. Of course, that's probably not an entirely bad thing...

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being burned in effigy by some, while at DSC I handled a new H&H double and if I'm not mistaken, the cost was around 200 friggin K. That rifle had NOTHING, NOTHING on a Verney Carron Azur that costs around 25K. NOTHING. Now older Brit doubles are another story but the new stuff? You want nice go handle a Piotti Brothers double...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I just picked up a David McKay Brown bolt rifle...one of only 2 that they built on Win Model 70 actions.

Post photos in a new thread if you don't mind. Would love to see.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Stan:
Rather than get numerous and varied opinions I suggest going to the true source of knowledge: PM shoot away. He will tell you all you want to know.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Stan:
Rather than get numerous and varied opinions I suggest going to the true source of knowledge: PM shoot away. He will tell you all you want to know.
Cal

animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Stan:
Cal

If nothing else, he can tell you how to collect trash and shoot holycow cows!! On his own no less! He don't need no stinkin PH!

I'm actually waiting for his first book to be published on modern day Africana! Should rival the likes of Taylor! Hell, it will probably surpass the exploits of Bell. I can see it now! Trax will be a cutin and a pastin about Shiterway, building 30 line signature shrines to the Montreal madman!

holycow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ask Shootaway, I am afraid my gun will ended up like his gun below:

And all my elephant bulls will turn out to look like his buff below:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Thorns in fingers and hands, cuts in arms and legs, blisters in feets, happiness in me.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Stan,

If a person has the wealth that allows for the
purchase of one rifle that is $100K or more, that
person decides which rifle to buy, or buys a col-
lection.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe better to find a nice old Holland Royal or Rigby rising bite (if you don't already have one or either).

Ask George Caswell- he'll find one for you or perhaps look for a similar rifle in an auction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Post photos in a new thread if you don't mind. Would love to see.

Mac, will do...I get it Monday.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, the McKay Brown rifles are certainly nice, but the one I saw at SCI some years ago which was very good, but not perfect...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sent an inquiry to McKay Brown since yesterday but in reply yet.

Thanks all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you ask Grenadier about the round actiom H&H. He actually owns one or two. I prefer the David McKay Browns when it comes to round actions in modern makes. They are all very expensive, regardless of which way you go.

Either way, a VC will never hold it's value like a McKay Brown or H&H. These guns are long term investments.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stan-Elephant Trail:
Gents,

I am considering to get a H&H DR. Is Holland & Holland Round Action worth $100,000? Your comment will be highly appreciate.

No.

You'll get a better quality rifle for 50% to 30% of that price, if you order one through the trade. It will take longer to deliver though. You will have to do some homework to find out who is good and who isn't.

What you get 'off the shelf' at these shop fronts, is instant gratification for cashed up Arabs, Yanks and Russians who don't know any better.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hell, just buy a half dozen Blaser doubles in six different chamberings , and six Sabattis in different chamberings! Then post pictures of them in their plastic cases!

At least they will give you a more exciting hunt, especially if you kick dirt in a hippo’s face get a close charge like MS, forget to re-cock after a reload and have your post mortem result on film for the members to see here!

……………………………………………………………..100K-200K for any rifle homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Hell, just buy a half dozen Blaser doubles in six different chamberings , and six Sabattis in different chamberings! Then post pictures of them in their plastic cases!

At least they will give you a more exciting hunt, especially if you kick dirt in a hippo’s face get a close charge like MS, forget to re-cock after a reload and have your post mortem result on film for the members to see here!

……………………………………………………………..100K-200K for any rifle homer

Now that's funny! And downright somewhat realistic as well!

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is it for sale yet?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might that be a "shot"??

PS: Actually it is, and for much less than the sales tax on a McKay-Brown shotgun :-)

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:
To be honest, I'm not wild about H&H quality of late.

Much the same with Clode after he recently fired 100% of his skilled workforce (including his daughter) as a result of a petty wage dispute.

Hmm; I'm afraid I have to agree with you there; shame Frowner

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I am very familiar with the Holland & Holland round action. Holland & Holland did not just re-make an old design with a new look. It is a modern design, excellent at that, and makes for a very, very strong action. It is a true round action and not just a "rounded" off action like most you will see. It is actually a back-action sidelock and the mechanism is wonderful. They are sleek in hand, well balanced, have superb triggers, and work as you would expect a Holland to work.

I cast no dispersions on the McKay & Brown rifles that ozhunter posted as I point out that they use a trigger plate action (like many O/Us) and not a sidelock. The Holland & Holland round action gun is a modern back action sidelock. Those are different animals.

I am also very familiar with the Verney-Carron guns. They are nice and well worth what they cost but they are not in the same league as the McKay or the Holland. It is a simple fact that is immediately self evident to those who have handled and shot them and who have compared them side-by-side. The Verney-Carron guns are also boxlocks, not sidelocks. Again, different animals.

As to the worth of the Holland & Holland. There are many things to consider. If you just want to launch bullets down range then all you need is a pipe, something to close off one end after a cartridge has been inserted, and some way to indent the cartridge primer. In the simplest form a zip gun would meet that requirement. However, if you want something that can be depended upon to launch those bullets reliably and repeatedly to the point of aim, that will carry well, that is intuitive to handle and bring to bear, that is superbly engineered and meticulously manufactured, that has internals that really do fit together, that will outlast you, and will be worth more than you paid for it when you tire of it or go to the great beyond, then you want a Holland & Holland rifle.

On the left: My H&H Paradox - a ROUND back action sidelock | On the right: A "rounded" Verney-Carron boxlock with side plates.
Its like comparing apples and avocados

Note the pins in the sidelock action

Superb fit and finish ouside and inside.

And, yes, it handles and shoots the way you would expect a Holland & Holland to handle and shoot

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
VC must be making their mark in the world being called out by the Holland and Holland boys!

jumping

By the way, that IS NOT a picture of the Verney Carron Round Body action "with side plates". The VC Round Body does not have bolsters.

Here is an example of the VC Round Body Action:

Hardly a Zip Gun but I agree it isn't a Holland. And my bank account reflects this fact today! $15,000 vs $225,000! But if I had it, I'd probably spend it on an H&H! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Grenadier. Very well written. Just can not not make up my mind and more confused. Anyhow after a week and two inquiries to McKay & Brown, still no respond from them.

By the way, I have ordered a field grade DR in .500 NE and bought a best grade DR in .470 NE (the DR posted on their website) from Anderson Wheeler while shopping around. dancing

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, Todd. Please note, though, that I described the action in the picture as "rounded" and not a round action. VC does offer round boxlocks.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I can't at all fault a guy, with the means, for spending $100,000 on a rifle (though I doubt the above assertion that the "lower end" H&H rifles will ever have investment value). That said, as an economist, the first thing I look at is the marginal benefit of spending $85,000 MORE than I would on a VC. It's a bit like the guy who buys a Rolls Royce rather than a Mercedes S-Class (Yes, I know, most RR owners probably have a stable of the latter). The question I ask myself is, "Can the former be three times the car embodied by the latter"? Frankly, and just for me, not even close and I suspect the folks at MB could give you a few reasons why their car is actually BETTER over the long haul. Similarly, I doubt very seriously that the H&H is 7x the rifle a VC is. It might not even be twice as good or 50% better or even 25% when you stop and think about it. At that level of craftsmanship, you are paying huge sums for tiny "improvements" that the VAST majority of double rifle consumers (much less the general public) can't even perceive much less know to look for. Some guys value these things very highly and some don't so I suppose it all boils down to "preferences". Me? I'll take a VC .450NE and spend the change on two or three really nice elephant hunts.

Frankly, this conversation is a bit odd when you think about it. In global terms, it is like the top .1% of wealth holders arguing with those only in the top .3%.
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stan, after all is said and done on this website what you need is go and handle as many different rifles and shotguns as you can. Through my travels I have had the privilege and the pleasure of handling many of the worlds finest rifles and shotguns, my only regret is that I have a beer budget and champagne tastes.
Every gun you will find is a different animal, just as if you and I might be admiring the girls seen on a busy street your head may go in one direction and mine in another. As you handle more and more different rifles and shotguns your thoughts and desires may change, barrel length, action type, wood are all subjective and the beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder.
I have come to realize that fine shotguns and rifles are animate in-animate objects and one will truly wiggle her hips and beckon you to come...

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There is a lot to be said about diminishing returns for the additional prices you pay. But the same goes for nearly anything of quality whether it be watches, optics, sailboats, top tier automobiles, or gunstock blanks and action engraving. And regarding the "miniscule" difference between a well made, high end, double compared to a consumer grade double, the difference is far from "miniscule".

That said, one should keep in mind just what one is comparing. Any well made sidelock rifle will cost 25% to 50% more than the a boxlock rifle from the same company. Stan-Elephant Trail just said he bought an Anderson Wheeler in the interim. Anderson Wheeler offers their sidelock rifles for substantially more than their boxlock rifles. So, to tendrams example, it would be more appropriate to compare the Mercedes M-Classes to the Mercedes S-Classes.

Most makers of double rifles don't even offer rifles on sidelock actions. They set up their shops to minimize labor and maximize production. It is easier to sell many boxlocks with an economy of scale that ensures a nice margin on lower priced products than it is to sell a few sidelocks which require more individualized production and which do not benefit from the same economy of scale.

As regards to the resale value of "lower end" H&H rifles. All one need do is look at the prices that any well known British maker's 2nd tier double rifles in good condition bring on the second hand market. I am not saying that they should be the first choice for an "investment" but, after the first few years or so, they will begin to go up, and up, in value. And, yes, they will command more if sold years later than they cost when ordered. You can buy many new double rifles for under $35,000 but I know there are many people out there who have taken a beating when they later sold them, myself included.

I am not berating the lower cost doubles. They are a good value for what you pay and they fill a large need in the marketplace. I own and have owned a variety of guns and rifles and I liked them all, with only a couple of exceptions.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Stan, check out Hartmann & Weiss too, when considering quality double rifles.

http://www.hartmannandweiss.com/en/
http://www.hartmannandweiss.co...nn-weiss-katalog.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PD999, I did check with Hartmann & Weiss but their lead time is way too long for me.

"Thank you very much for your enquiry.

A Hartmann & Weiss sidelock ejector double rifle in the caliber .500NE would be € 122.500,- and has a lead time of 3 ½ to 5 years.
This price includes fine English scroll engraving, colour case hardening, extended upper and lower tang and exhibition grade wood as you can see on our website.

We hope to have informed you for now, but should you have any further questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

With best regards from Hamburg,

Gerhard Hartmann & Otto"

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stan-Elephant Trail:
€ 122.500,- and has a lead time of 3 ½ to 5 years.

Thanks Stan!
Hmmm, may have to start saving up for one of their 577NE sidelocks! beer

Peter

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
If I was to go build a working double fo myself, Personally today I would go to westley's and get a drop lock made.

I know different action etc but still a beautiful bespoke gun. Spend the balance on some buffalo

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you wish K.

"Thank you for using Build Your Gun

Please see attached your Build Your Gun form you completed on the Westley
Richards website.

A copy has been sent through to Westley Richards and a member of the team will
be in contact with you shortly.

Sidelock Double Rifle

Standard Rifle up to .500 NE: £65,000.00
Slim Beavertail Forend: £750.00
Traditional Scroll Engraving: £0.00
Guncase: £0.00

Total: £65,750.00

Sincerely,

Westley Richards & Co."

That was from October 31, until now no one contacted me yet.

Stan

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Back action vs Trigger-plate action; I still get confused with their pros' and cons'! killpc

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Oh yes I forgot you were talking in funny money... Apologies.

It always pays to drop in and see what's on the bench. Two 470's last year bought like that were on very good deals. I'm into WR next week between hunts and I will post some pics of what's on the bench.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, $100,000 is a lot for a gun. That is why I have not ordered it.

shame