THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Francotte Double Rifle in .470
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Francotte Double Rifle in .470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooot! It's a holiday weekend. I'd be takin' that sweetie to the range! You have an amazing amount of discipline. I couldn't let it go without heating it up first.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
This gun was proofed at Liege in 1927. The Controller of Proof was Lambert Alexandre who worked as a Controller 1927-1953.

While the gun was made by Francotte, the barrels are steel by Lochet-Habran. The firm of Lochet-Habran had been a major supplier of damascus barrels for the American shotgun makers such as LC Smith, Fox, Lefever, Parker, etc. Though by this date, they (Lochet-Habran) no longer produced damascus tubes.

The 11.7 is the bore in mm, which equals .4606 inches.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I surrender to the sharp witted, on the ball posters, amd I stand corrected. I should be stringhaultered and gil flurted for my sinfull mistake and lack of knowledge on the history of such a famous firearms company.

I have only used the later guns that Francotte built. The guns I have liked were made in the 1930s to 1950s as best I recall.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a done deal.

Spoke with JJ last week and the gun got his stamp of approval.

Some specifics:

Gun was made in 1927 and has seen very little use. Everything on the rifle is original, including case colors and stock. The barrels slugged .474". The barrels are in excellent condition, with one exception: JJ said that there is a "very, very slight" showing of rifling on the outside of the barrels. He said that it was so slight that unless you are trained to look for it, it probably wouldn't be noticable. And since the barrels slugged at .474" he said this isn't an issue, nor will it become an issue if you take care of the rifle.

The only other fault JJ found was a small crack in the stock near the breech bolt. (I think I remember the term correctly.) JJ said this is a simple fix that two hours of work will repair.

Those were the only issues with the rifle.

The inner mechanics, JJ said, were in excellent condition.

After hearing this and speaking to a few of you fellows, I have decided to keep the rifle. It is 80 years old and in great condition for the age.

I'm going to have JJ increase the LOP 1/2" to 14.5" so it fits me better.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you have found a keeper. thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it gives great service to all living and future Hawks! clap

Paul Jr, siting JJP:
quote:
JJ said that there is a "very, very slight" showing
of rifling on the outside of the barrels.

What made the rifling "show" on the bbl exteriors, some one fired A-SQUARE or other
improper solids?

quote:
...if you take care of the rifle.

Does this mean to use correct bullets, or is there more to it than that?
[Of course you'll give it proper care/lubrication, etc.]

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And really, it was cheap.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

quote:
It is 80 years old and in great condition for the age.
Kind of like Doc.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B5J:

It is unknown what caused the rifling to show, but one may assume it was from shooting monolithic solids in the rifle. (This is an assumption, because I have not spoken to previous owners.)

Regarding taking care of it, as long as we do not shoot mono solids through the gun, the stressed rifling should not get more pronounced. With that being said, I only intend to shoot woodleigh softs through the gun. If a DG hunt is planned, I will work up a solid load, but will do so only after extensive due dilligence with the proper solid bullet.

Showbart, it was listed for $17,000. I got it for less than that. For an 80 year old gun, in original condition with no significant issues, I have to agree with you that I got it for a great price.

Since purchasing the gun, I have been told that in today's market, a person could easily get $20,000 for that rifle. I think they may be right - it's a damn fine rifle.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me think, from that country the only better maker is Lebeau-Courally. I'm cheap so I would probably seek out pre-war Frenchie like Verney-Carron. Wink
The price is actually staggering when one considers that equivalent 12br shotgun from that maker would set one back $2000 to $2500.
If you keep shooting that gun it ain't going to be worth 20K. It has potential for appreciation, but only if you handle it with "white gloves".
PS. Cabela's actually had fair price on that piece. How did they manage to do that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paolo9,5x73:
Let me think, from that country the only better maker is Lebeau-Courally. I'm cheap so I would probably seek out pre-war Frenchie like Verney-Carron. Wink

Don't think you'll find a big bore double rifle from then by V-C.

The price is actually staggering when one considers that equivalent 12br shotgun from that maker would set one back $2000 to $2500.

Nonsense.

If you keep shooting that gun it ain't going to be worth 20K. It has potential for appreciation, but only if you handle it with "white gloves".

More nonsense.

PS. Cabela's actually had fair price on that piece. How did they manage to do that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paolo9,5x73:

Paolo9,5x73,

You are way off track.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Un update, for all those who are interested...

Heard back from JJ this morning. The gun is ready to come home! He lengthened the LOP and shot the rifle.

At 25-30 yards, JJ said that he put four shots with the rifle, off hand, into the bull's eye!!!!!

That sum bitch shots AWESOME!!!!

Getting the loads that JJ shot with to confirm the grouping that he said.

Will post more info and updated photos when I get the rifle back.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's the kinda news we like to hear!!! dancing

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news and a super find!

Guess Doc is warming up the reloading presses.

As for your comment:

quote:
At 25-30 yards, JJ said that he put four shots with the rifle, off hand, into the bull's eye!!!!!

Also fantastic news. No barn's broad side will be safe!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Here's to many great years with your new double.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is great news. You will really enjoy your rifle. Congrats again!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK:

I should have the rifle back this week. JJ said the loads he used in the rifle to shoot it shot well, so I think I have a good starting point.

We need to organize a local shoot with "highbrass" in the coming weeks to help him with his DR selection.

Doug:

Thanks for the note. My new mistress is 80 years old, but she is a damn fine, sexy broad!

577NitroExpress