THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Using a double 12 gauge for practice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a double 12 gauge for practice.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hear many use a double 12 gauge for practice as there double replacement rifle. My question is where can I find a good double 12 gauge as practice for a double rifle?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see them at Cabelas and also at local gunshops all the time.

Just buy one that fits you well...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save yourself some money and do what I do.

I throw a bunch of clay pigeons on a dirt mound. When I practice , I shoot at 2 targets simultaneously. It gets you in the habit of shifting got the back trigger.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any brands better than other? Do the make any in 3 1/2 inch mag?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is only 2 on cabelas site. one a couch and one a 410. any better selection out there?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
I hear many use a double 12 gauge for practice as there double replacement rifle. My question is where can I find a good double 12 gauge as practice for a double rifle?

Steel, the real value when using a double barreled shotgun is only to train you to change triggers without thinking. This is a problem with guys who are new to double rifles, pulling the same trigger again when facing a dangerous animal that doesn't drop from the first shot.

As far as accuracy the only way to get that is with your double rifle!

Good luck and enjoy your double!

.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
If you having problems with the two triggers then yes probably shooting a shotgun a lot would help. But if you are wanting to just get use to your double I would use the 75% rule and make some lower recoil rounds and practice that way.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good advice. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for Merkel, Simson, Sauer guns made in the GDR. Lots of 12ga double trigger extractor guns available.
Example...
http://757arms.com/m-3-merkel.aspx
http://757arms.com/m-6-simson.aspx
http://757arms.com/m-1-sauer.aspx
Good practice for both the safety/double trigger. Shoot some skeet/trap. Muscle memory
I do all my shotgunning with a double trigger SXS

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Doing this really helped me with a double trigger. I just bought a cheap one off the internet and went and shot double trap with it. Like Ken said for safety and moving to second trigger, it really was useful for me. Obviously for accuracy, practice with your rifle.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Like Larry and Tim said
Two targets ( clay pigeons) and I use slugs in my old 20 gauge double. That way you know if you miss
Make your shots count, not just shoot.
I learned that from old timer back home as a kid hunting boars.
When they come you'd better be ready

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I shoot quite a bit of SxS double shotgun, mostly hunting but the occasional

sporting clays round as well. It is almost second nature to slide the safety off

when mounting & go from the front to rear trigger. I think it is an excellent way

to practice "muscle memory" for using a double rifle with a similar set-up.

Follow-up shots on a running buff or elephant seem easier if you're used to

swinging on a moving target. Can't help believe that any repetitive shooting

wouldn't help. The old saying that you "point a shotgun & aim a rifle" is

true, so you need to shoot the double rifle some as well, to know your & its

limitations. Good hunting.

Jim

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you guys keep both fingers on each trigger or do you go from the front to the rear?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and do they make any 3 to 3 1/2 inch doubles? they all seem to be 2 3/4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel,

Both fingers on the trigger is a definite BIG no no... Well you'll probably only do it once.

Depending on the calibre, fit and how you hold the rifle, try practising firing the rear trigger/left barrel first. This eliminates the possibility of your trigger finger slipping off the front trigger and letting off the left barrel by tapping the rear trigger, during recoil. Something to seriously consider.
I've done it and many experienced DR shooters can attest to it. I was told by no less than two veterans and had to experience it for myself Big Grin. Once you got some mileage its easy to make the transition from front trigger to rear trigger.
Today, for snap shooting I'll use the front trigger automatically, for shots that afford a little time I instinctively use the rear trigger.

As someone mentioned earlier with a shotgun you simply what to use it to get the hang of double triggers and shooting moving targets. Save yourself from being pounded by 3" and 3 1/2" or hot 2 3/4" slugs in a relatively light SXS shotgun, its unnecessary.

Do a search on here for loads using the 75% rule either load them or get them loaded and practise that way while mixing things up with some full power stuff.

THE FLINCH - The quickest way to develop this is to do TOO MUCH SHOOTING initially with a heavy recoiling rifle - over doing it. This cannot be over emphasised! Its a terrible and extremely, difficult and frustrating reflex to get under control!!!!

I suggest your first range sessions you limit the number of rounds so that you put all your focus on mechanics and making the shot count. Speed and reloading will come with time. FIRST Priority is hitting what you are aiming at. Start with 2-4 rounds at 15 yards on your first range session and then move out from there gradually upto 50 yards and beyond as you build your CONFIDENCE in your rifle. Using a small target/mark at that close range to make you really focus.

This is to build your CONFIDENCE in your rifle. This a critical component to shooting well and ultimately having a successful safari and enjoying the experience of hunting with a double.

Another very important thing in a hunting situation is to hold your second shot. Make it to count. The tendency is to let rip immediately are the first shot has been fired then find yourself standing there with an empty rifle and perhaps fumbling cartridges to relaod! I'm not saying don't have another crack at your animal but be more conscience of where you are shooting instead just throwing lead. Just take that fraction of a second longer to hit the mark.

If I seem to have gone a bit overboard its because I've guided using a double for sometime now so I've personally experienced using one in real situations and seen many hunters use them on safari.

Shooting it well and having confidence in your DR can be a make or break affair.

All the best on journey!

Leon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. I think I will pick up a double 12 gauge and practice till I get the double.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel,

Enjoy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can take it to the next step as a couple of friends and I do.
A friend has one of those auto clay throwers.
It's set up behind a berm and you slowly walk up on it, with someone on the button behind you. I use one of those big Spanish 10 gauge doubles so it takes some oomph to get onto a clay coming at you!
Wear safety glasses and be ready to duck if you miss. My buddies call it Kamakazi skeet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wowo:
Steel,

Both fingers on the trigger is a definite BIG no no... Well you'll probably only do it once.

Depending on the calibre, fit and how you hold the rifle, try practising firing the rear trigger/left barrel first. This eliminates the possibility of your trigger finger slipping off the front trigger and letting off the left barrel by tapping the rear trigger, during recoil. Something to seriously consider.
I've done it and many experienced DR shooters can attest to it. I was told by no less than two veterans and had to experience it for myself Big Grin. Once you got some mileage its easy to make the transition from front trigger to rear trigger.
Today, for snap shooting I'll use the front trigger automatically, for shots that afford a little time I instinctively use the rear trigger.

As someone mentioned earlier with a shotgun you simply what to use it to get the hang of double triggers and shooting moving targets. Save yourself from being pounded by 3" and 3 1/2" or hot 2 3/4" slugs in a relatively light SXS shotgun, its unnecessary.

Do a search on here for loads using the 75% rule either load them or get them loaded and practise that way while mixing things up with some full power stuff.

THE FLINCH - The quickest way to develop this is to do TOO MUCH SHOOTING initially with a heavy recoiling rifle - over doing it. This cannot be over emphasised! Its a terrible and extremely, difficult and frustrating reflex to get under control!!!!

I suggest your first range sessions you limit the number of rounds so that you put all your focus on mechanics and making the shot count. Speed and reloading will come with time. FIRST Priority is hitting what you are aiming at. Start with 2-4 rounds at 15 yards on your first range session and then move out from there gradually upto 50 yards and beyond as you build your CONFIDENCE in your rifle. Using a small target/mark at that close range to make you really focus.

This is to build your CONFIDENCE in your rifle. This a critical component to shooting well and ultimately having a successful safari and enjoying the experience of hunting with a double.

Another very important thing in a hunting situation is to hold your second shot. Make it to count. The tendency is to let rip immediately are the first shot has been fired then find yourself standing there with an empty rifle and perhaps fumbling cartridges to relaod! I'm not saying don't have another crack at your animal but be more conscience of where you are shooting instead just throwing lead. Just take that fraction of a second longer to hit the mark.

If I seem to have gone a bit overboard its because I've guided using a double for sometime now so I've personally experienced using one in real situations and seen many hunters use them on safari.

Shooting it well and having confidence in your DR can be a make or break affair.

All the best on journey!

Leon

The only thing I would disagree with is using the rear trigger first. All makers of double guns regulate their guns to shoot front trigger first with the rear trigger 5-7 sec latter.

The front trigger is also generally set to go off with a somewhat lighter trigger pull.

Start with the front trigger and build good habits from the beginning.

The transition from a SXS shotgun to a SXS rifle should be easy.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steel,

Depending on the calibre, fit and how you hold the rifle, try practising firing the rear trigger/left barrel first.
This eliminates the possibility of your trigger finger slipping off the front trigger and letting off the left barrel by tapping the rear trigger, during recoil. Something to seriously consider.

quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
The only thing I would disagree with is using the rear trigger first. All makers of double guns regulate their guns to shoot front trigger first with the rear trigger 5-7 sec latter.

The front trigger is also generally set to go off with a somewhat lighter trigger pull.

Start with the front trigger and build good habits from the beginning.

The transition from a SXS shotgun to a SXS rifle should be easy.

Kebco is right, using the back trigger first doesn't automatically negate a double discharge, and doing that will train you to do that if you get away with it without causing a double discharge by that action.
If the double is not fitted with intercepting sears, which most are not, it is far better to learn to get a good finger purchase on the front trigger, so the finger doesn't slip off the front trigger and "STRUM" the back trigger under recoil. Bad habits are harder to unlearn than they are to learn. As Kebco says learn a good habits from the get-go.

Some doubles have an inertia(recoil) activated sort of interceptor on the left trigger to momentarily block the back trigger during the recoil when firing the right barrel.

The key is to get a good finger on the front trigger, and a good tight hold on the pistol grip so the hand doesn't move back and/or the finger slip off the front trigger under recoil.

Practice, practice, practice with proper trigger sequence! That will teach you far sooner to work your double to the best advantage.

.................................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree with Mac37 or Kebco, Its through a few experiences and advice that I ended taking the path I did.

My first double was a Kreighoff 500NE. On a follow up after a wounded buffalo. The Buffalo charged I lined up and shot. The Buff collapsed, in the moment before walking up to the buffalo, I turned to the client and congratulated him on doubling up. With a big smile he said he hadn't fired a shot!
I was certain I'd heard two shots, when I opened my rifle both cartridges were spent! The first one had it the mark just below the bosses and the second is probably still traveling!!! Good lesson learnt there! Adrenaline is also a wonderful thing!!

The man I worked for at the time, Peter Hepburn, old school Botswana PH. Said to use the rear trigger first. This is a little tainted as he was a lefty using a right handed 500NE.

Luke Samaras (Luke Samaras Safaris Tanzania) also gave me this advice. Luke has decades of experience in DG and using a DR.

When I got my .577NE it was a touch too long and ended up doubling it while a wounded hippo follow-up. So I made a conscience effort to start using the rear trigger first and had the solid rubber recoil pad worked down a it.
Today as I said if I'm in hurry or not having to think too much I automatically go to the front trigger. Often times when taking a deliberate shot I'll use the rear trigger. I just tend to be feel more confident that way and get the left barrel gets some use too Wink

The reason I did it this way is because of experiences I had. Not to saying its the right way just how things panned out.

End of the day learn good habits and work on your CONFIDENCE with your rifle.

If you watch one of Mark Sullivans films you'll see he too doubled with a 600 NE. I think it was "DEATH AT NY FEET" he bowls over the Buff and tries to give it another one but nothing happens. Watch carefully and you'll see! Friends of mine told me about this.

Anyway all the best and enjoy your double!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

>>> SNIP: Today as I said if I'm in hurry or not having to think too much I automatically go to the front trigger. Often times when taking a deliberate shot I'll use the rear trigger. I just tend to be feel more confident that way and get the left barrel gets some use too Wink<<<SNIP

Wowo, You have successfully trained yourself to go for the front trigger first in a tight, and that was what Kebco's, and my advice was aimed at!

The fact is all experienced double rifle shooters I know, uses both triggers first depending of the exact things you state above, myself included.

The advice is not only for you, but for the young readers who lurk here and are thinking about buying their first double rifle. Anyone new to double rifles needs to always use the front trigger first till they become very familiar with there rifle so that muscle memory comes into play when pressed to defend themselves. This also trains them to avoid double discharges due to strumming.

It is a fact that you have developed that muscle memory by accident. Our advice was to avoid accidental discharge and start a new guy off right till that is developed.

Neither of us were aware of the fact that you had already owned double rifles, and erroneously assumed you were a newbie to doubles.

The advice still stands to the newbie! Luke Samaras has been at this for as long as I have known about him, and I'm sure he automatically goes for the front trigger first when standing off a charge!

..............................................................Good hunting BOOM

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't disagree with Mac37 or Kebco, Its through a few experiences and advice that I ended taking the path I did.

My first double was a Kreighoff 500NE. On a follow up after a wounded buffalo. The Buffalo charged I lined up and shot. The Buff collapsed, in the moment before walking up to the buffalo, I turned to the client and congratulated him on doubling up. With a big smile he said he hadn't fired a shot!
I was certain I'd heard two shots, when I opened my rifle both cartridges were spent! The first one had it the mark just below the bosses and the second is probably still traveling!!! Good lesson learnt there! Adrenaline is also a wonderful thing!!

The man I worked for at the time, Peter Hepburn, old school Botswana PH. Said to use the rear trigger first. This is a little tainted as he was a lefty using a right handed 500NE.

Luke Samaras (Luke Samaras Safaris Tanzania) also gave me this advice. Luke has decades of experience in DG and using a DR.

When I got my .577NE it was a touch too long and ended up doubling it while a wounded hippo follow-up. So I made a conscience effort to start using the rear trigger first and had the solid rubber recoil pad worked down a it.
Today as I said if I'm in hurry or not having to think too much I automatically go to the front trigger. Often times when taking a deliberate shot I'll use the rear trigger. I just tend to be feel more confident that way and get the left barrel gets some use too Wink

The reason I did it this way is because of experiences I had. Not to saying its the right way just how things panned out.

End of the day learn good habits and work on your CONFIDENCE with your rifle.

If you watch one of Mark Sullivans films you'll see he too doubled with a 600 NE. I think it was "DEATH AT NY FEET" he bowls over the Buff and tries to give it another one but nothing happens. Watch carefully and you'll see! Friends of mine told me about this.

Cal Pappas uses the rear trigger first as well and after I doubled his Lang 450 #2 turning it into a 900 #4 he suggested I do the same.

I have converted, and though I'm sure Mac and Kebco know what they are saying, I will stick with the rear first from here on out. I have not noticed any change in apparent patterns on paper as far as a regulation change.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote