THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New 9.3 or Brit BPE for NA double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 9.3 or Brit BPE for NA double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Even money, would you choose a newer 9.3 or a british bpe for a north american double?

The 9.3 should be off the shelf.

With the BPE, would hope to find a nitro for black load that would regulate. Then load enough to last a while.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
New 9.3. Less time reloading and more time shooting. Factory ammo is reasonable and most of the guns are trim and affordable.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 is easy, versatile, and there are lots of rifles to choose from. It would never be a bad choice.

While I enjoy tinkering with all double rifles, the BPEs are a touch more aggravation to load for than I enjoy on a regular basis. That said, some enjoy that aspect of them and the rifles are just as effective as they ever were. I have friends who find the nitro rifles boring. Just depends on what you're into.

Although it might be more expensive these days, another option would be one of the lighter British medium bores. For North American game, the .333 Flanged, .400/.350, .350 No. 2, the .400/.360s, and the .375 2 1/2" Flanged are all good. Brass is available for all and the .350s and .400/.360s are also easily formed from 9.3X74R. Bullet selection for the .350s, .400/.360 Purdey, and the .375 is excellent. I went this route when I was looking for a double for general purpose North American use 15 years ago, and I consider it the ideal option. Mine gets more use than any other rifle I own.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have some Black powder rifles, both doubles, and single barrel rifles, and I shoot them far less than any of my smokeless rifles, simply because they are so much trouble to clean properly. The BP cartridges shouldn't be loaded and stored too long, as the powder tends to form a solid, over time, and is hard on the brass cases if not fired, and promtly cleaned, and dried!

I also have a 9.3X74R, and it is a real pleasure to shoot, and hunt with. It is adiquate foe anything in North America, and is more than a little usefull in Africa as well. If I had only one double rifle for North America my first choice would be a 9.3X74R, and second would be a 450/400NE 3", and anything in black powder would be way down the list of favorites! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, you have a PM!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kynoch

if you go the bpe, don't even consider using black powder. you are spot on with nitro for black loads. if the rifle has bullet weight marked you have an easy one to get shooting.

you can never go wrong with a 9,3

so it is a tough choice. the 9,3 will be easier to find, but a classic british bpe would be hard to beat.

good luck in your quest !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote