New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cocked or snap caps.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the double rifles I've had over the years, I have always used snap caps while storing or transporting the gun.
The user manual for my old Browning Superposed shotgun states that leaving the gun cocked at all times is OK and that it will not weaken the coil springs.
So thinking about getting another double Wink - Merkel, Verney-Carron, etc. - what is the best way for storage and travel?
And, yes I know, I could get a K-gun or a Blaser, but lets look at traditional doubles.

Where is a good source for decent snap caps in 450/400, 470, 500NE and the like?

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I do not store my double with snap caps loaded in them. I either have them broken down in a hard case or stored muzzle down in my safe. I store them muzzle down to prevent crushing my leather covered pads.

Galazan's is a good source for double rifle snap caps - I have bought all of mine from Tony.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I would recommend you NOT travel with your DR assembled with snap caps in the chambers. You will absolutely panic TSA and Customs officials and will likely delay your onward progress.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I second what Lionhunter stated above. You will set off seven kinds of hell if a TSA sees snap caps in the chambers of your rifle or shotgun.

I leave mine home when traveling and only use them during the 6-7 months of no shooting here in the Alaska winters. In the summer when I shoot often, no worries.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snap caps are ok if you are leaving the gun assembled. When you break it down to store you need a “snap block” the better/traditional ones are out of buffalo horn. This way you can put it up in the case with no tension on the springs. If you have a vintage rifle or shotgun you will probably find one in your case.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vasa:

So thinking about getting another double Wink - Merkel, Verney-Carron, etc. - what is the best way for storage and travel?

Ask the mfg after you decide on a brand. V-C does not feel it is necessary to drop the hammers for storage & will also tell you to not take the gun apart & drop the hammers.

Careful on snap caps, some have over thick rims & will cause more problems than they solve

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I use snap caps and relieve the springs for storage. The reason is all my double rifles have fitted cases, and most of my shotguns as well. I don't have room in my gun vault for all of these in the cases, so the stay put together and in the vault.

.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I am missing something here, this same question has been asked before and there was agreement from other posters with my view, you can break a gun down in an uncocked state by snapping on snap caps and then removing the forend before opening the gun. The ejector hammers, if it is an ejector gun, are contained in the forend and will always stay cocked but the hammer springs will be 'relieved'.
No need to break down in a cocked state and then use a snapping block, unless of course you have no snap caps.

I did read once where coil springs will gradually loose tension if kept compressed over a long time whereas leaf springs do not. I couldn't verify this, my experience being leaf springs break more often than coils do.

I agree with others here, do not travel with snap caps in a gun.

Posts: 3869 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 470. Met Messr. Chapuis at the sci show in Reno a couple of years ago and asked him this very question. He said to break open the rifle, then keep the triggers depressed as you close the action and that decocks them.

Works !!

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what part of BC you are in Vasa, but, I have seen 470 and 500NE snap caps in Calgary.
450-400 aren't avail from A-zoom, maybe elsewhere.
I made my own for my 450-400 and 30R. Easy enough to do. K-gun is nice, in that I just decock it to put it away.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make your own. I don't remember where I saw the instructions, just take a couple of fired empties, remove old primers, drill and tap for hard plastic screws, insert with superglue on threads, cut off and polish. They work great, last, and are cheap enough. I use the plastic screws used these days for license plates; I forget the thread and tap size though.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
Snap caps are also easy to make using a bit of o-ring. There is one OD of the o-ring rubber that is ~.210", about the same as a large rifle primer pocket.

De-prime a case, cut said o-ring in half, insert one end into the primer pocket and use a razor blade to cut flush with the case head. A touch of glue will help hold it in place, but I haven't had any fall out not using glue.

The durometer of the o-rings that come in an o-ring kit appears to be the same as the rubber in a $60 factory set, although with all the different materials o-rings are made of, I'm not sure which I happen to have, but would suspect viton as the material.

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
Originally posted by Vasa:

Ask the mfg after you decide on a brand. V-C does not feel it is necessary to drop the hammers for storage & will also tell you to not take the gun apart & drop the hammers.

Careful on snap caps, some have over thick rims & will cause more problems than they solve

THIS.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storing barrels down also allows oil to accumulate on a rag that I sit my barrels on. That way no oil in the stock recesses. You may have seen pictures of oil soaked stocks which are weakened by the absorption of oil. Not a good thing.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine showed me a neat trick for homemade snap caps. He had a deprimed case, took a hole punch that has 5 different punches on the revolving wheel, selected the right size for the primer pocket, punched the thin leather sheet, pressed the little "plug" into the pocket and it held firmly, (could also put a speck of glue in the bottom). Very slick, lasts forever and essentially free! Made me a pair for my 450NE while I stood there.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote