THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Holland&Holland 450/400 2 3/8 proof Info needed!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland&Holland 450/400 2 3/8 proof Info needed!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A local gunshop has acquired a H&H 450/400 2 3/8, Double Rifle. 1898 manufacture. Weight Orig. 7lbs/12oz now 6lbs,12oz+/-

Does anyone know what a Nitro proof mark for this type, and age rifle would look like?

The barrel is marked with a Crown over V, a Crown over GP [Black Powder], a 400EX, and one other mark, closest to the breech end of the barrel that appears to be a very deep, intricate stamp, but they can find nothing like this in "Marks" reference material.

Any help?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
closest to the breech end of the barrel that appears to be a very deep, intricate stamp, but they can find nothing like this in "Marks" reference material.

Any help?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Les

Provisional proof for barrels (London) mark.

It's taller rather than wider ? Is that right ?

It all kind of merges into one blob of a stamp ?

But can you see any part of it ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a blackpowder cartridge for red deer and maybe wild boar or such things in India. I do not believe that a nitro equivalent loading was ever made for it.

The Proof would be before the 1904 Rules.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500N

Yes, this last mark is taller than wide, it does appear to be a blob as the design, while intricate is unclear. I'll try to scan it and post it here.

enfieldspares

That is my fear, that a Nitro load has not been developed, much less proofed. It is a beautiful 110+ year old rifle, in amazing condition!

Thanks for your help!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
500N

Yes, this last mark is taller than wide, it does appear to be a blob as the design, while intricate is unclear. I'll try to scan it and post it here.

Les

Sounds like the Provisional proof for barrels as I said in the post above.

Agree with Enfield, sounds like BP proofed
and the cartridge and the era would make you lean that way.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not already I would advise some contact with Holland's as they are very good on "back up" even on such a century plus old rifle such as this.

They may even be able to offer a solution to your ammunition problem.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote