THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    * update * A Vintage Case for the Vintage Verney Carron .475 No.2 NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

* update * A Vintage Case for the Vintage Verney Carron .475 No.2 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello Wink,

Thanks for the reply.

Its always interesting to puzzle together the History of a rifle that was built 90 years ago.

There are several small stampings on the bottom of the barrels. Would any of these possibly identify Auguste Lebeau or Paul Demas?

Paul Demas created his shop in 1987, so no chance there would be any connection. For stamps indicating a link to Auguste Lebeau, I have no idea. There were around two hundred arms or arms parts makers in Liège in the beginning of the 20th century. I'll see if I can find anything on Auguest Lebeau before they teamed up with Courally.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello Wink,

Thanks for the reply.

Its always interesting to puzzle together the History of a rifle that was built 90 years ago.

There are several small stampings on the bottom of the barrels. Would any of these possibly identify Auguste Lebeau or Paul Demas?

Paul Demas created his shop in 1987, so no chance there would be any connection. For stamps indicating a link to Auguste Lebeau, I have no idea. There were around two hundred arms or arms parts makers in Liège in the beginning of the 20th century. I'll see if I can find anything on Auguest Lebeau before they teamed up with Courally.

There's just nothing better IN MY OPINION than that Demas triple action...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Buch (Kebco) might know the history of VC in the early days and the resulting markings and proofs. If not, Jerome from VC is very helpful in all matters involving their firearms.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Had a Francotte about that vintage (20-30's)
That looked almost exactly like this gun

Was several years ago ,
no saved pictures of the rifle

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Lovely Double. I need one of those cooling tube's also.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
Lovely Double. I need one of those cooling tube's also.

Hello Slider,

Thanks for the reply.

Before I built a cooling tube, I used a small window fan directed at the open breech.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I've revisited this thread and hope this is useful?

So that's an "h" that dates the proof of your gun to 1929 I think.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello endfieldspares

Thanks for the reply.

As in the 8th line of my opening post ... this rifle was built in 1929.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Here's an update - I found a very nice Vintage Case for my Vintage Verney Carron .475 No.2 NE. It appeared on Ebay a few months back with an "offer" option, so last week I made an offer. The seller told me the case had belonged to his Dad and that the gun it contained was sold long ago. His Dad's initials are on the top. He said the case was from the 1920's or 30's so it fits the date of my VC just fine. And, the case was "French" with an original "Gastinne Renette" - "Paris" label. I don't know anything about him, but when I "Googled" him, I found several photos of some find guns that he produced.

As I've done with many other vintage cases, I reconfigured the inside to better fit the Rifle. I even added an original "VC" label to dress it up a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote