THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The "truth" about my Sabatti 450-400-update on p2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "truth" about my Sabatti 450-400-update on p2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Referencing my earlier post about finding that my Sab .45-70 had been muzzle ground, someone commented that Cabelas may have asked Sabatti to build these rifles to a certain pricepoint.

This may be true. I have no way of knowing. However, the Deluxe model .45-70 cost $4000 with extractors. If I had gotten ejectors in the same gun it would have been $4500. This puts the rifle at about the same cost as the Chapuis UGEX in 9.3x74R.

I haven't actually seen a UGEX, but my impression from many posted pics is that it is pretty much an apples to apples comparison to the Deluxe grade Sabatti (excepting the ground muzzles!).

Is that a fair statement? I know several people have mentioned that they own both rifles.

So, getting to the pricepoint thing, I guess my problem is that I can't understand why Chapuis can build a rifle that is properly regulated and sell it for roughly the same bucks as a similarly appointed Sab that isn't well regulated. ??? As I said, I'll keep the rifle and use it, but I feel as if I paid for something I didn't get. Sorta like buying a new car and then finding out that it had been wrecked and fixed at the dealers lot. That actually happened to a friend!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
As several of us suspected the method of "regulation" yaws the bullet and prevents it from fully stabilizing which in turn will affect penetration, especially with solids, as the tests on Paul's rifle have borne out. Anyone who has ever done any benchrest shooting or long-range varmint hunting understands the importance of proper crowning to bullet stability, might be okay on paper but not something I would care to hunt DG with.

Canerat, this is the issue with the rifles and that sums up very well what the main problem would or could be. Most of all with the various solids used. In the case of the CEB BBW#13 and some few others, the meplat size and nose profile, these solids are capable of self stabilization during terminal penetration. Some lesser solids are not able to self stabilize. If the rifle is not capable of regulation with a solid such as the CEB BBW#13 then there is even more of an issue. On this particular rifle we see that the BBW#13s did self stabilize in the left barrel giving more than adequate straight line penetration, and where the Hornady DGS was not able to do the same, 2 out of 3 shots. The problem is, this rifle won't regulate with anything but the Hornady bullets. We also see that in the right barrel the Hornady DGS performed far better than I expected it to be capable of.

So in this particular rifle we see the left barrel has the issue, while the right does very well in stabilization. If one were hunting buffalo, right barrel would have the expanding, left the solid (As I understand you boys operate these things-Right first-Left Second). For second shots on buffalo, I would think the hornady would suffice, even with it's stability issue, it will perform better on tissue than in the test medium. If elephant, then both barrels would be stuffed with solids, right being first and able to stabilize reasonable, and the left would be quick follow up--just load quickly, and shoot some more fast as you can! HEH....... So if nothing else done with this rifle, one could compromise and work with it, knowing what it's limitations are.

quote:
Many people consider a double rifle a short range rifle but there are exceptions to that rule and sometimes longer shots must be taken.

Snowwolfe

There are always exceptions to the rules, no doubt, and for sure that would be an incredible shot. But as you say, it is an exception, and while a bull moose can and has been many times an exceptionally dangerous critter, it is also not the normal cape buffalo, lion or elephant, bear that we would bring to mind with DG. I dare say that you would not take a shot such as that on a lion, elephant or even buffalo. I know no one that would, unless of course the dance has already started and this is one of the follow up shots to stop an animal from escaping.

And 500N once again the above answers your statement as well, (2cd shots--lighter caliber and pigs) Same goes.

Damn near everything we do in choosing rifle, caliber, and bullets in shooting can and does become some sort of compromise, to facilitate a more important (to ourselves) goal. So regardless of our choices, there are compromises to be made. The chap who selects a Single Shot to hunt with is severely limited with 2cd shot capability. I have done this before myself. The chap who chooses a double can in many cases be limited to the selection of bullets he might be able to use as well. One can justify this by demanding that very fast second follow up shot, or because of nostalgia or any number of reasons, but none the less still a compromise. The chap who chooses a bolt gun also has some limitations, while a fast second shot is possible on DG, not as fast as a double, but a 3rd is faster than the double? So there are compromises made on all of the choices we make.

DG is near a sin to shoot past 50 yds--I have in the past committed these sins, but always strive to be close, or else what is the point? I consider 50 yds a long distance on DG, and would much much prefer to be inside that 25 yd mark, and for the most part in my DG career have been there. I have a rule of thumb, for myself only--Start inside 25 yds I have you 100% in control--50 yds that percentage starts to drop to 75% of having the scenario under control--75 yds drops to 50% control, and 100 yds is out of control! Give me 25 yds and inside every time if at all possible. This should be Double Rifle territory, and 50 yds getting on the outside--ESPECIALLY if you limit yourself to iron sights as most of you do! With irons that Control Range starts to drop drastically! Or it for sure would for me!

Now let's look at these 50 yd results, on paper. Here you will see groups fired with the left and right barrels at 50 yds, Hornady DGS and DGX with both scope and iron sights. The target with irons has a couple of CEB BBW#13s, right and left also.

First two targets are with the scope in place.

Not bad for the Hornady Factory ammo. The CEB BBW#13s are around 4-6 inches apart right and left at 50 yds with loads in the same or better velocity range. So at 50 yds a compromise has to be made--Hornady Factory ammo.

Here is a target shot at 50 yds with Iron Sights. Not much difference in right and left. This showing the rifle has little regulation issues with a scope attached, or not. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

Now, what did I just say about the ranges for Dangerous Game???? I don't give a damn if I am shooting a very accurate bolt action with a low power scope---Which I do and have done for my entire DG career, 99% of the time, 25 yds and inside is where I want to be!!!! That's where I have the most control of any situation.

So the Sabatti here at 25 yds, this is where the compromise is mostly in RANGE--

Here at 25 yds, the CEB BBW#13s do pretty well for their intended purposes. Let's assume that one would choose to hunt elephant with this very same Sabatti 450/400. Let's assume that one wishes to have the very best bullet performance that one can have for such an adventure, my opinion, .409 400 gr CEB BBW#13 Solid. Well, we know for a fact in this gun the CEBs are 4-6 inches apart right and left with this bullet at 50 yds--but 25 and less that gap narrows to an inch or so. Well normally one does not start the dance at 50 yds with elephant, but if you do, and I have, then you don't be stupid and do brain shots, you take heart shots--the heart on an elephant is a lot bigger than 6 inches, and I doubt that you will get a six inch spread at 50 yds during the heat of battle! Let's scenario up and say we are inside 25 yds now! Not much of a compromise at 25 yds and in, where most reasonable elephant hunting should be anyway.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not defending, nor being offensive to the Sabatti or any other double for that matter. I may just be looking at things in a different light, or in multiple layers and options. Ya'll know me or should by now, I am not a double type of chap, and won't ever be. So really don't have a dog in this fight, nor really care one way or the other. What I do care about are you guys that choose the doubles, and just would like for everyone to see all the options, and not get hung up on any one thing and make decisions based on one thing or option only.

Of course these are opinions, and mine is worth what you paid for it! LOL

Michael

tu2

Michael:

Thank you for an honest, accurate, objective, detailed assesment of the Sabatti rifle, the Hornady ammo and the way it shot in general, that is heart warming.

Good hunting/shooting and God's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are the best.

Thanks for doing the "heavy lifting" for me and being open and objective with the results.

Stay well and thanks again,

Paul

+1 tu2

Also Doc I must say, thanks for putting out your Sabatti rifle to undergo this rigors test and being so objective to put out the "truth" and facts without any reservation.
You have handled this Whole thing with the most pleasant attitude.

tu2

Good hunting/shooting and God's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
Referencing my earlier post about finding that my Sab .45-70 had been muzzle ground, someone commented that Cabelas may have asked Sabatti to build these rifles to a certain pricepoint.

This may be true. I have no way of knowing. However, the Deluxe model .45-70 cost $4000 with extractors. If I had gotten ejectors in the same gun it would have been $4500. This puts the rifle at about the same cost as the Chapuis UGEX in 9.3x74R.

I haven't actually seen a UGEX, but my impression from many posted pics is that it is pretty much an apples to apples comparison to the Deluxe grade Sabatti (excepting the ground muzzles!).

Is that a fair statement? I know several people have mentioned that they own both rifles.

So, getting to the pricepoint thing, I guess my problem is that I can't understand why Chapuis can build a rifle that is properly regulated and sell it for roughly the same bucks as a similarly appointed Sab that isn't well regulated. ??? As I said, I'll keep the rifle and use it, but I feel as if I paid for something I didn't get. Sorta like buying a new car and then finding out that it had been wrecked and fixed at the dealers lot. That actually happened to a friend!

That sucks, I am sorry that you are in the predicament you are in. I fear the resale market for used Sabattis will be pretty poor, Cabelas has apparently marked their remaining rifles in stock down to $2,800. Apparently Cabelas has been pretty good at offering refunds, though. Why not see if they will give you a refund and buy a Chapuis in 9.3x74? I have examined both rifles side by side and in my opinion the Chapuis is a much nicer rifle.

Good luck.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I disagree that a double is only for close in work on dangerous game.
Use mine for moose, black bear, and grizzly. To date, have never shot an animal with my Chapuis under 75 yards away and the longest shot was just under 300. The long shot is not recommended but I would have zero reservation about shooting any deer sized animal or larger up to 200 yards away with the factory iron sights on my Chapuis.

To many people read the same articles about doubles being only good for short range close in work. Most of the owners of the smaller caliber doubles would agree they are more useful rifles than non double owners give them credit for.

Snowwolfe

Of course in the scenarios you play out you are very correct, on all counts. My interests are very limited, and I don't work a lot with mediums, even my own. Longer ranges very rarely or never really come to mind with the sort of shooting/hunting that I do. When I even think of a double rifle, my mind immediately registers larger bore rifles, with little thought to anything much under 458 caliber. It just never occurs to me about smaller bore doubles, suitable for what you mention.

Personally I am not effected much by reading articles about double rifles, as I really don't recall right off hand ever reading one. I suspect you are correct however that non double owners give doubles less credit than they deserve.

For myself my primary interests lie with larger bores, and DG, and close range. My primary interests also lie with bolt guns. With these things in mind, it just never even occurs to me about longer ranges regardless of type rifle. I don't want a misunderstanding, just an understanding of where I am coming from. I would never question the capability of your double being able to do what you say, it just never occurs to me in my thought process, and in my primary interests in rifles, bullets, and the purpose of such.

LOL....... And I get worse everyday along these lines--first thing I think of with an expanding bullet is this "How will this do on buffalo"--then I start thinking of other things! LOL.............

Oh and that is a GREAT LINE--Love it---
quote:
I been finding out the more I practice the luckier I get.

Malek

Thank you, I try, but don't always hit center!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE: If you have one, and it shoots, does what you want it to, then there really is not an issue in my opinion!: END QUOTE

That statement pretty much sums it up...JW

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Probably worth putting this info here as well:

Just an update on the Sabatti regulation drama:

From the Gun Library Manager at the Boise, Idaho Cabelas:
"Sorry to hear of the problem. We found the same problem with a couple of other rifles and contacted Sabatti about it. They directed to have any like rifles sent back to them to re-barrel at their Florida address.

You can send it to them directly or if you wish you can send it back here and we will send it back."

Mine will be going back tomorrow.

If it is taken care of in a timely fashion (I think 6-8 weeks is fair)and regulated properly, I will be both satisfied AND happy.

For those interested in doing the same, I would contact the manager of the Gun Library from which you purchased it, tell them what I have shared and take it from there.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I hope this works out for you,

Cabelas has certainly stepped up to the plate on this one. They will get more of my business on other items just for the way they have dealt with this issue!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have read with interest this story on the Sabatti Double rifle problems.

Being from Australia we do not hear much about the problems but I have started a post on the www.nitroexpress.com and was put onto this discussion by another member 500nitro.

Would you please give us Aussie's the 'Guts' on this subject by going to the forum that I have given above and called.: "Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets"

You do not know how lucky that you have an upstanding company in Cabella's and what they are doing for the shooters of America.

Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

I better say that I purchased a Sabatti in .450 N.E. 3.25" which was regulated with Kynamco ammunition, the only problem is that it is not available in Australia. The test target has 3 holes, 2 being circled and stated as final group. No indication is provided as to which shot is from which barrel so I had to send it to a gunsmith in Tasmania who is experienced with double's to work up a load (I can not due to health concerns for that many shots) and the best he could get was a group of about 2.5", the right barrel printed 1.5" to the left with the right barrel printing 1.0" to the right and 3" high and this was with reduced loads of 90gns of AR2209 with 480gn Woodleigh RSN. If he went to 93gns as per Graeme Wright, the group blew out to 4.5" and 2" higher. He also thought that it needs to be re regulated.

So I need to obtain as much information before I 'Press' the Importer but as of the 13/06/2011 he advised me that quote "You don't believe what's on the Internet" and he is not aware of any being returned, the Dremmel fixing would not have been done at the factory and the best of all "The rifle is supposed to Cross"

So that gives you an idea of what us Aussies have to contend with so how about giving us one of your Cabela stores.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

. tu2

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Posts: 59 | Location: DUBBO NSW AUSTRALIA | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a moot thread to me..Almost all doubles will regulate with one load and only one load, if not then you got lucky..

I have shot a couple of Sabattis now and they both shot very well with the intended Hornady ammo.

For a gun to haul off to Africa and shoot big animals and easy to insure and replace if stolen, its a hell of a lot of gun for the money, and as far as I can tell it rates right there with a Merkel and better than the one I won't name with then funny safety! Smiler both inside and out, and at about $4000 less dollars.

There are some things I personally don't care for and that is the forend being to thick, and maybe its a bit tight in the grip, but it does not hammer my knuckles in a .470 so maybe thats not so bad after all. The barrels are a tad thick to this old English gun lover. Its no English gun, but it will sure perform the same function for the less anal.

All in all, for a hunting rifle at a great price, I don't see how you can beat it for plunking a buff or Hippo at 40 yards..

But guns are personal purchase, and you have the fanatics and the ne're do wells, the haves and the have nots, so take your pick and please your self or your pocket book, either way you go will get the job done.Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Atkinson - - Perfectly said. We shoot and hunt with our Sabatti's and they do the job as well as any other double. Perfect reliability and excellent accuracy. Make a few personal modifications (usually, cut the stock to fit and add a decent pad) and you have a fine rifle.

Take your Sabatti out and shoot it with what it is supposed to be shot with and have some fun. But if you believe the gun has some sort of insurmountable quality problem with whatever, save yourself some personal grief and don't buy one. Remember, we humans are very good at being our own worst enemy.

I also see on an earlier AR thread there is a gentleman having much difficulty getting his Merkel 9.3 X 74R to regulate. Does this mean that the Merkel's have a problem also? I'm sure there is an opinion out there somewhere. . . . . . coffee

Posts: 11 | Location: Green Hills of Eastern Ohio | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am new to the world of doubles and have been reading with great interest the debate over the Sabbatti line.
My question for those in the know is this. The Cabelas close to me has a Sabbatti 470 NE with
factory finished rifling, no grinding at all. Would this mean it shot to spec without the need to alter the muzzle? This gun is retailing for 5999.00. The Gun library also has a Merkel 140A 470 NE, preloved and pristine for 8999.00. I would appreciate all input on this choice. This is an area of the shooting sports that I have never come in contact with in over 40 years. Have never seen a double at any of the clubs I belong to and will have to travel some to shot it. Many Thanks

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Lilguy,

If I found a Sabatti that did not have its crowns ground to regulate and it had a test target that demonstrated good regulation I would be happy to have it. As I've said in all of my posts, i was very happy with the feel, fit and finish as well as the build quality. In fact the ground muzzle did not bother me except that it wouldnt regulate well with even factory ammo AND tests of both factory as well as all handloads with any bullet demonstrated bullet tumbling from the barrel that had been ground.

I'm not put off Sabattis, just those regulated by grinding the rifling. Before the tests, I wasn't certain that it woudl affect bullet stability. That's the value of testing and having data - it doesn't matter what you believe, the facts are the facts.

Here is the other thread on the subject:

My Sabatti experience

The above link is to page 3 but if you read all the way through it as well as links to the testing done by Michael458, you will see that I have been and still am pleased with all other aspects of that particular Sabatti 450/400.

buford848 - with you 100%. I wouldn't take that particular Merkel to Africa either. And if you do a search of Merkel, plenty of people felt the same way abou these "inexpensive" doubles when they first became popular on AR. Some of the criticism was valid some was not - just as with Sabattis.

If the gun makes you happy, who cares what anyone else has to say. As in any situation, you're the only one who counts. If it were me, the Sabatti with a good test target and no muzzle grinding would win out over the Merkel.

Good luck!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lilguy,

If I found a Sabatti that did not have its crowns ground to regulate and it had a test target that demonstrated good regulation I would be happy to have it. As I've said in all of my posts, i was very happy with the feel, fit and finish as well as the build quality. In fact the ground muzzle did not bother me except that it wouldnt regulate well with even factory ammo AND tests of both factory as well as all handloads with any bullet demonstrated bullet tumbling from the barrel that had been ground.

I'm not put off Sabattis, just those regulated by grinding the rifling. Before the tests, I wasn't certain that it woudl affect bullet stability. That's the value of testing and having data - it doesn't matter what you believe, the facts are the facts.

Here is the other thread on the subject:

My Sabatti experience

The above link is to page 3 but if you read all the way through it as well as links to the testing done by Michael458, you will see that I have been and still am pleased with all other aspects of that particular Sabatti 450/400.

buford848 - with you 100%. I wouldn't take that particular Merkel to Africa either. And if you do a search of Merkel, plenty of people felt the same way abou these "inexpensive" doubles when they first became popular on AR. Some of the criticism was valid some was not - just as with Sabattis.

If the gun makes you happy, who cares what anyone else has to say. As in any situation, you're the only one who counts. If it were me, the Sabatti with a good test target and no muzzle grinding would win out over the Merkel.

Good luck!

Well Said Doc, I could not have said it better my self

tu2

Lilguy

Mine is a 470 too and it shoots exactly as the target that was shipped with it.

Good hunting /shooting and God's best

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lilguy:
I am new to the world of doubles and have been reading with great interest the debate over the Sabbatti line.
My question for those in the know is this. The Cabelas close to me has a Sabbatti 470 NE with
factory finished rifling, no grinding at all. Would this mean it shot to spec without the need to alter the muzzle? This gun is retailing for 5999.00. The Gun library also has a Merkel 140A 470 NE, preloved and pristine for 8999.00. I would appreciate all input on this choice. This is an area of the shooting sports that I have never come in contact with in over 40 years. Have never seen a double at any of the clubs I belong to and will have to travel some to shot it. Many Thanks

IMO, you are much better off buying a Merkel or Chapuis. Either can be had for around $8K if you look around and they are much nicer rifles with a proven track record and good resale value.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen.

When I started looking I had in my mind to stay as far under 9 thousand as possible. Then I heard about Cabelas exclusive on Sabattis and began following the discussions here and elsewhere.
If a properly regulated gun will put Hornady
Rds on target, the price is great.
What else will 9k get me? Are there sites dedicated to marketing double guns besides Gunbroker? No one around me offers Hornady 470 NE and Cabelas is selling Federal for 275.00/20 count.Any suggestion on a outlet for ammmo on these NE rounds?

Appreciate all your help.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you gentlemen.

When I started looking I had in my mind to stay as far under 9 thousand as possible. Then I heard about Cabelas exclusive on Sabattis and began following the discussions here and elsewhere.
What else will 9k get me? Are there sites dedicated to marketing double guns besides Gunbroker? No one around me offers Hornady 470 NE and Cabelas is selling Federal for 275.00/20 count.Any suggestion on a outlet for ammmo on these NE rounds?

If you are going to shoot doubles you need to handload or find someone who does. I handload .450/.400 3.25" NE, ,470 NE, and .500 NE all for around a couple of bucks a round after the investment in the brass. A rich man would go broke trying to feed doubles factory fodder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you gentlemen.

Try Graf & Sons: http://www.grafs.com/retail/

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for decades but I am concerned about how you deal with how a gun
was regulated. Not sure my shoulder could handle
many NE rounds trying to work up an accurate load.

Would you please amplify on your reloading thought. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lilguy

470's are easy. IF YOU GET A GOOD GUN, I reckon you could get it nearly regulated in 10 - 20 shots and then fine tune from there.

By good gun, I mean Merkel, Chapuis, Searcy etc.

The above Doesn't apply to Sabatti !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
lilguy

470's are easy. IF YOU GET A GOOD GUN, I reckon you could get it nearly regulated in 10 - 20 shots and then fine tune from there.

By good gun, I mean Merkel, Chapuis, Searcy etc.

The above Doesn't apply to Sabatti !!!

+1

Somewhere around 106.0gr of IMR-4831 and a 500gr Woodleigh soft will regulate in just about any .470 double. If recoil is a real concern many here swear by RL-15 with a wad which it is claimed produces a reduction in felt recoil. I don't like wads so I use IMR-4831 in order to fill up the case but many use the RL-15 loads with good success, they will fill you in on the details. As 500N stated you should be able to work up a good load in a quality rifle with one of those two powders in 20 rounds or less.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
lilguy -

The Sabatti 470NE weighs approximately 9.5 pounds, and that is too light for the caliber. I suggest two mercury recoil reducers in the stock to increase the weight to an acceptable level and reduce the felt recoil as well. You should also plan to replace the POS recoil pad with a decent one like a LimdSaver or Pachmayer. If you make these changes, the Sabatti will be very manageable, if not, it will whack you with every shot.

The above reflect my personal experience with two Sabatti 500NE. The 470 & 500 should weigh between 10.5 and 11.5 #s.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been reloading for decades but I am concerned about how you deal with how a gun

Sorry, I responded to 500N's post above and not yours. PM me if you would like more info and I will be happy to give you all the help I can. The big NE rounds are easy to load for and there is tons of info in this forum on how to get loads to regulate in a double. It is actually a quite simple process. Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle" is a great resource for the handloader, by no means is it necessary but I do highly recommend it. If you are interested in the book PM Cal Pappas on here as he may have a few copies left.

Mike's suggestions are good ones, especially the recoil pad on the Sabatti. My .470 is 9 lbs 13oz which is fine for me but he is right that many folks prefer them in the 10 1/2 lb range. I know from personal experience that a .500 weighing less than about 11 lbs is too light, less than that and they will whack you good and about knock your teeth loose. IMO, I find the .470 to be an easy shooting rifle but the .500 has enough additional recoil to me to be objectionable but again that was in a 10lb double. Just my $.02.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:

Sorry, I responded to 500N's post above and not yours. PM me if you would like more info and I will be happy to give you all the help I can. The big NE rounds are easy to load for and there is tons of info in this forum on how to get loads to regulate in a double. It is actually a quite simple process. Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle" is a great resource for the handloader, by no means is it necessary but I do highly recommend it. If you are interested in the book PM Cal Pappas on here as he may have a few copies left.

Mike's suggestions are good ones, especially the recoil pad on the Sabatti. My .470 is 9 lbs 13oz which is fine for me but he is right that many folks prefer them in the 10 1/2 lb range. I know from personal experience that a .500 weighing less than about 11 lbs is too light, less than that and they will whack you good and about knock your teeth loose. IMO, I find the .470 to be an easy shooting rifle but the .500 has enough additional recoil to me to be objectionable but again that was in a 10lb double. Just my $.02.

CR.......have you gone soft? Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3467 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean "regulated" you don't regulate the gun, the factory does that with wire, wedges, and solder..You simply have to sight it in..You may or may not be able to change its regulation by working back and fourth with a certain powder, but not by much, its rather fine tuning IMO.

I have no clue about grinding the crown, the couple I shot showed no such grinding, but if it works and the gun is accurate then so be it, if one does not find that acceptable then cut recrown it and have it re-regulated is an option, but at some expense.

I liked the Sabatti as well as I did the the other modern doubles of today..They are all about equal IMO...

All that said, I would rather have a English gun, but for the money a Searcy, Merkle, or Sabatti would be my choice.

I like the Sabattis guarentee as stated above, I have not seen the others quite so concerned as to just replace the barrels if it didn't shoot to your standards, and apparantly even if it did shoot well with the regulation load and you just weren't happy with it. That's sump'en in my books.

I also don't think a company that is in competition with Sabatti or whoever should jump in and claim the competition gun is undesirable, defective or whatever, they should just keep out of such blogs as they have compramised themselves IMO , that's not a smart move in my books, and sours me on the company that would be so bold as to do so, especially one that has had many problems itself, as most all firearms have from time to time, it takes them all time to work out the bugs.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a Limbsaver recoil pad installed on my 450NE that I bought from CCMdoc. While the felt recoil was quite managable before the installation, it truly tamed it down a bit.

Now if I can just figure out this reloading.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote