THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Heym: The Redemption of a Basher
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym: The Redemption of a Basher
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I know that a number of folks have seen my prior posts about a Heym .470 that I owned and ended up trading. I have been outspoken about the brutal recoil of that rifle and my overall negative experience with the rifle.

Roll the clock forward several years. Around Thanksgiving I contacted Chris Sells to see if he had a Heym .500 NE. (One can never own too many .500's and I have continued to read all the good reports of others with their Heyms.) I was also intrigued by the fact that Heym is now doing the .500's with 26" barrels and has bumped up the weight to around 11 pounds (mine weighs 11.0 pounds on the nose). As fate would have it Chris had a .500 arriving in about a week. It had a modest wood upgrade and a triangular insert in the rear site; otherwise the basic PH model. Chris agreed to ship it to me so that I could see how it fit, handled, etc.

I have now had the rifle out to the range three times. It is regulated with Hornady ammo and shoots very accurately even though all my shooting so far has been off of sticks. The real surprise to me is that recoil, compared to the old .470, is night and day better. No busted knuckles, cut fingers, sore cheek, etc. The gun is very pleasant to shoot. I am not sure whether it was the stock layout on the .470, the shorter barrels (24"), the lighter weight, or all of the above, but my .500 is an extremely nice rifle and of course the quality of the Heyms has never been seriously questioned.

So I am a redeemed Heym-basher. Thanks to Chris for getting me set up so quickly and not reminding me more than once or twice about my .470 whining. I look forward to chasing an elephant or two with the Heym. Thanks again Chris.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm glad your experience is much improved. I second the "One can never own too many .500's..." sentiment. You'll be ready to test it in the elephant grounds soon.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Surely you must recognize whether the drop is any different. I wouldn't guess a pound is going to make that much difference. Congrats in any regard.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ah, the return of the Prodigal Son! When you get a 500 that weighs 14 pounds, let me know, I'd like to shoot it! Big Grin

Congrats Mike!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Well I must say that it is nice to see you guys kiss and make up Big Grin. Congrats on the new rifle,could you possibly post pics of the sights,

Will,
Would you please elaborate on your comment re-the drop and how it would relate to recoil,I am still in the learning stage,I would one day like to order a custom fitted rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Rusty
You old fart, 14 pounds? When you get it, let me know I'll volunteer my 15 year old son to you as gun bearer. My 10# Merk is fine 11# would be better at the range but not on my walk I took last year in Zim.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1236 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the "plug" Mike.

There have been two design improvements in the past few years that help a great deal with weight and recoil.

1) The "old" style stock was too small, and that was changed. The new stock shape doesn't look much different from afar, but it is consideably larger and has more wood in the right places - specifically with more surface area on the recoil pad.

2) The barrel profiles were re-contoured (with more weight at the breech) at the same time.

As for your elephant hunt, I'd say you're good to go.

You might want to give the rear sight a little nudge, but I know you said these were your first 4 shots too. tu2

Here is a gold triangle inlaid in the rear sight.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Well I must say that it is nice to see you guys kiss and make up Big Grin. Congrats on the new rifle,could you possibly post pics of the sights,

Will,
Would you please elaborate on your comment re-the drop and how it would relate to recoil,I am still in the learning stage,I would one day like to order a custom fitted rifle.

Less butt drop, less recoil effect.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Rusty
You old fart, 14 pounds? When you get it, let me know I'll volunteer my 15 year old son to you as gun bearer. My 10# Merk is fine 11# would be better at the range but not on my walk I took last year in Zim.

Brian, yes I am! And I hate shooting a 500 NE doesn't matter which make, it just kicks my ass!

The limit for me is an 11# 475#2 Jeffery.

Mike is a great friend and I am always envious of what he brings to the range. I'm just not going to let him talk me into shooting a 500 NE again! I'll save that privilege for Will! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty, you are never going to let me forget setting you up with those double charge loads are you?

Here is the target from yesterday's trip to range. I will have to own up to L3 and L4. The wind was howling at the range and shooting off of sticks in a strong cross wind can be challenging. I definitely think the Heym is shooting MOE -- minute of elephant.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike I am glad it worked out for you. Little changes make a big differance. I reshaped my stock on my merkel and it helped a lot,but the wrist is still tool thin for me to grip so it slides in my hand. My 470 chapruis has a palm swell and is just enough that I can hold on no problems. My 505 is just a little bigger and even with full house 150 gr powder loads is still more pleasent than my Merkel. Its great that it fits you, and you are shooting it well.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good news Mike thanks.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That looks like one hell of an accurate rifle; more like MOEB (minute of elephant brain).

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Rusty

Brian, yes I am! And I hate shooting a 500 NE doesn't matter which make, it just kicks my ass!

The limit for me is an 11# 475#2 Jeffery.

Mike is a great friend and I am always envious of what he brings to the range. I'm just not going to let him talk me into shooting a 500 NE again! I'll save that privilege for Will! Big Grin

Rusty, I am with you. I don't mind shooting my .470 but I also think the .500 is a big step up in recoil.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote