THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    John Rigby London - what's the status?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Rigby London - what's the status?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I opened my issue of campfire and saw an ad for John Rigby of London which brought to memory the great acclaim which greeted their announcement that they were in business and planning to build a rifle commensurate with the reputation of old John Rigby of London. Acclaim that was due, in my opinion, more to the fact that they found the Rigby name unprotected allowing them to adopt it, and the fact that they weren't Rigby of California, than any action related to actually building a gun.
If I sound skeptical it's because in my daily business we serve the construction industry and regularly see the difference between promise and performance. I applaud Rigby of London's promise, but I am waiting to see their performance. Consequently:
Has Rigby of London actually made a double rifle?
If so, has anyone seen it? Hefted it?
How does it balance and point? When you pull one trigger does one barrel go bang? When you pull the other trigger does the other barrel go bang? When said triggers are pulled do the projectiles launched impact in the vicinity of the point of aim?
In short, we heard the promise, how have they delivered?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I don't know much myself. Maybe peterdk will post and fill us in. He was with Rigby of London for many years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wondered as well. I had hoped they would be at DSC and someone would comment.

Next Wednesday SCI starts, maybe we'll see one there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well here's something else you may not believe! The world thought that California Rigby was closed for good, but that was just a hollow promise! I opened my Jan/Feb issue of Safari magazine, and what did I see on page 33? A full page add for the Paso Robles, california John Rigby & Co

....................... diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Well here's something else you may not believe! The world thought that California Rigby was closed for good, but that was just a hollow promise! I opened my Jan/Feb issue of Safari magazine, and what did I see on page 33? A full page add for the Paso Robles, california John Rigby & Co

It's called waving the flag higher as the ship goes down Big Grin

You know, that last burst of energy at the end !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

It's called waving the flag higher as the ship goes down Big Grin

You know, that last burst of energy at the end !!! LOL

yuck jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last post I saw by Rigby London he had made a bipod for a assault rifle that looked nice. Not a word since though on the forums. SCI this year may shed some light on the subject. Or maybe we'll see a new Rigby thats gone militant? Big Grin

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys all saw "Titanic", right? Remember the band kept playing until the waves came over the railing...

Next Wednesday at 9:45 am we will know. I just wonder if they will post them across from Craig's booth again.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Their web page shows a unfinished Rising-Bite action, but I can't find more than that on the web.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Taylor is a very interesting man to say the least only man I know that would call another at 4am they are still in business and are doing there thing.Mr.Neving aka Peterdk was one of the founders but parted ways.But they do make rifles etc but just not my cup of tea and Peter knows why and thats all I'll say in regaurds to that

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
as express rifles so correctly is stating, rigby london and i parted ways a year ago, and i have no knowlegde of what is happening in the workshop over there.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
besides them calling me at outrageous times in the Morning but other then that best of luck to them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't one of the other guys from the Rigby London gang have a log-in here?

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert is pretty knowledgeable about the goings on at London Rigby, however I am not sure how much he knows (or can tell) about the current situation.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Peterdk,

A year and a half ago you made fun of me calling the London Rigby's double rifles "vaporware" and posted photos of a shotgun in response. Since you are not on their team any more tell us what you know. Do you have any knowledge if in this year and a half they have actually produced a big bore double rifle or are such guns are still vaporware?

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peterdk had spoken to a gundealer( a friend of mine)last year named Ely Brevad that he had bought a gunshop in London. I thought surely it was John Rigby he had bought from Mark..but now it seems not to be case.. popcorn

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Peterdk had spoken to a gundealer( a friend of mine)last year named Ely Brevad that he had bought a gunshop in London. I thought surely it was John Rigby he had bought from Mark..but now it seems not to be case.. popcorn

jens

my brief conversations with Eli was early in 2010, and i told him that i considered buying a brand name in london, and i did considered that, in the end i desided to just go ahead with my own brand name here in denmark, as it seemed like the right thing to do.
most of our conversations were about me doing work for him, but my prices were to high and we left it at that

So maybe you should think twice about reporting second hand info, or try not to deduct the info you have into some form of facts, as apparently you are not very good at that.

i do not comment on what rigby london is doing, as that is not my place to do so, they are more than well adapted to do that themselfs if they deside to do that.

peter

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:
Hey Peterdk,

A year and a half ago you made fun of me calling the London Rigby's double rifles "vaporware" and posted photos of a shotgun in response. Since you are not on their team any more tell us what you know. Do you have any knowledge if in this year and a half they have actually produced a big bore double rifle or are such guns are still vaporware?

goshoot

when i left rigby's the 3RB rifle actions were well on their way, what happened after i left, i have no knowlegde of and i am not here to guess. as you can see there is plenty of people that do that, to get a kick out of it all the time.

it is their business and i am not in a position to comment one way or the other.

best regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:jens

So maybe you should think twice about reporting second hand info, or try not to deduct the info you have into some form of facts, as apparently you are not very good at that.

i do not comment on what rigby london is doing, as that is not my place to do so, they are more than well adapted to do that themselfs if they deside to do that.

peter

I have thought twice.

I have spoked with Ely, that YOU had tolled him YOU had bought a London gunshop, and you had other commitments as regarding Lauritz.com where you were laid off , since you apparently had neglecting their customers.
Call Ely or his associate Palle Hvid if you wish a "firsthand" testimony. Nevermind you.. Contributing to the original post I thought YOU had bought Rigbys London, because Ely mentioned your envolvment in you "new" adventure..a London gunshop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

peter

I have thought twice.

I have spoked with Ely, that YOU had tolled him YOU had bought a London gunshop, and you had other commitments as regarding Lauritz.com where you were laid off , since you apparently had neglecting their customers.
Call Ely or his associate Palle Hvid if you wish a "firsthand" testimony. Nevermind you.. Contributing to the original post I thought YOU had bought Rigbys London, because Ely mentioned your envolvment in you "new" adventure..a London gunshop.

This sounds like someone gave you some wrong information Jens. Peter is a stand up guy, and a good friend. I think your making a big deal over nothing, and should take Peter at his word.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Ghubert is pretty knowledgeable about the goings on at London Rigby, however I am not sure how much he knows (or can tell) about the current situation.
Peter.

I have told you everything I can Peter.

My friend and contact to the company was PeterDK and I handled and shot the first B-class, I believe it was, sidelock that the company had produced on a day Peter arranged for me at a shooting ground in north London. Peter was very proud of the craftsmanship in his baby and rightly so.

When Peter parted company with them I no longer followed the situation as the products Peter is now making under his own name have my attention. The idea he's had for a good while now of a affordable double on english lines is a good one and one that appeals to me.

I'll see if I can dig some photo's up, the day was more of a round with a mate than a "review" or anything like that.

Regards,

A

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
quote:
quote:

peter

I have thought twice.

This sounds like someone gave you some wrong information Jens. Peter is a stand up guy, and a good friend. I think your making a big deal over nothing, and should take Peter at his word.

+1

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I've known Peter for a few years now and echo the sentiments of the post above.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

peter

I have thought twice.

well jens all i can say is that you are wrong on all accounts, but that never stopped you before.

lets just agree, that we dont see eye to eye, and proberly never will, since Eli has such a great memory ask him what he said about you, if he dont remember, tell him that i have a photografic memory and remember quite vividly.

on a second thought, lets just ignore each other as that will proberly be a better solution.

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have thought twice.

Wrong Peter has never once said he had bought London Rigby 2nd Peter was one of the driveing forces that the London firm is evem up and running today as far as Peter NEGLECTING customers that is one thing I will not and do not believe being the man has gone above and beyond over the years for me as far as business and friendly terms.It seems jens you have an Axe to grind and are making false judgements and a good man who really cannot defend himself due to he is a business man and its known on the forum..So to you jens pissers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know about what Jens' experiences are, but I dont think Jens is that wrong about Peter. Here in Denmark there are a lot gundealers, who dont want to see Peters face. He's nothing but Hot air. My honest recommendation: Stay Away.

If Peter needs and example I can give one.

Peter seems to depart from everyone....

Posts: 46 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps on a different thread though eh?

I think we've taken this thread, on Rigby, as far as we can; in as much as the anlysis of personalities not involved in the company, ie Peter and Jens, is concerned.

Come on lads.

Regards,

A

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 22 January 2011 20:04

Ghubert, agreed! The above was the original question and the answer is:
No one on this forum knows!
Perhaps if we called them and put down $10K we might find out?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTK:
I dont know about what Jens' experiences are, but I dont think Jens is that wrong about Peter. Here in Denmark there are a lot gundealers, who dont want to see Peters face. He's nothing but Hot air. My honest recommendation: Stay Away.

So are you maybe one of jens boyfriends his cheerleader so to say I can tell you why he is not popular there because he is an honest business man not out to make the quick dollar and gundealers who have a less then honest stake to sell a rifle do not like those who may hurt their business moon

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
To bring the thread back from the personal attacks....I noticed Rigby London ran an ad in the latest DSC newsletter as well.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
quote:
Originally posted by JTK:

So are you maybe one of jens boyfriends his cheerleader so to say I can tell you why he is not popular there because he is an honest business man not out to make the quick dollar and gundealers who have a less then honest stake to sell a rifle do not like those who may hurt their business moon

Everyone can see your posting on AR..all can tell who the real puzzy is.. http://forums.accuratereloadin...031029641#6031029641

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens you still lay bricks and toying with the winchester lever actions ? or you cheating the tax company again to get another double???? As a self proclaimed expert school me...Please im waiting...And as a man of god jens your not being very christian like.... shame

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys
I am not a moderator here, but I started the thread because I'm curious about what has actually happened with Rigby London. I was afraid that it would be hijacked into another Rigby California bashing thread. Little did I think it would devolve into a fight between a couple of us. Please take your personal beefs outside (PM maybe).

It seems that no one knows what is going on in London, I got my answer and we can let this thread die.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Express_rifle must be Peters second nature. I guess he has been slandering with Peter, to get some info about Jens. Please name me three hunting buinesses, that will say that Peter is a honest buisnessman here in Denmark!

At the time Peter is trying to sell cheap marmelade guns from Italy (best guess Sabati), as guns he has made himself. Way overpriced!

Posts: 46 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
I opened my issue of campfire and saw an ad for John Rigby of London which brought to memory the great acclaim which greeted their announcement that they were in business and planning to build a rifle commensurate with the reputation of old John Rigby of London. Acclaim that was due, in my opinion, more to the fact that they found the Rigby name unprotected allowing them to adopt it, and the fact that they weren't Rigby of California, than any action related to actually building a gun.
If I sound skeptical it's because in my daily business we serve the construction industry and regularly see the difference between promise and performance. I applaud Rigby of London's promise, but I am waiting to see their performance. Consequently:
How does it balance and point? When you pull one trigger does one barrel go bang? When you pull the other trigger does the other barrel go bang? When said triggers are pulled do the projectiles launched impact in the vicinity of the point of aim?
In short, we heard the promise, how have they delivered?

A friend of mine walked the SCI show yesterday and said they did not see Cal Rigby or London Rigby displays. I will be there over the weekend and will post what if anything I can find out.

On better news.. I did hear the first day was a mad house, lots of guns trading hands, and hunts being sold according to inquiry's around the floor. Hopefully the economy is coming back strong enough to surpass last years numbers on merchandise and hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was either company at SCI?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Neither company was at SCI

The word was London Rigby is buried under lawsuits regarding the name and will not survive.

Mexican Rigby has been taken over by the owner of the trademark name and is not in business at this time.

It sounds like the trademark Owner is trying to save his investment and is deep pocketing the others to force them out. Hopefully Rigby will survive, in London, but who will own and run it is a mystery.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not count them out, yet! It takes a lot of money to mount these lawsuits, money that California Rigby may not have. In addition, the issue is British law, not American, so, if London Rigby received good advice initially, then they may be in good shape, if they have the proverbial deep pockets.
In any case, while the name may matter to some (many?) I would go for a new, reasonably priced double with the "famous" British handling even if it did not have "Rigby" on it.!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
"No culture has yet solved the dilemma each has faced with the growth of a conscious mind: how to live a moral and compassionate existence when one is fully aware of the blood, the horror inherent in all life, when one finds darkness not only in one's own culture but within oneself... There are simply no answers to some of the great pressing questions. You continue to live them out, making your life a worthy expression of a leaning into the light."

An interesting quote, but perhaps not an accurate observation by the original author. It may be that the challenge given to us by God is more to determine WHY we do not each live better lives, despite the opportunity to do so?

It is possible God put evil here for the same reason there is light and dark, hot and cold, and other examples of dualism in nature. Who can appreciate light who has never known darkness? Or wamth, if they have never known cold? By extension, who would know why living a good life is supremely important if they have never seen evil? God is a proficient teacher, but are we good students?

Not trying to hijack this thread, so will be glad to respond to this subject more only on some other forum.

Best wishes to y'all.

C

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am flummoxed! Can someone explain the relevance of the last two posts to the subject, the status of the London Rigby company?
Thanks, Peter.